Do you think cruising to Mexico right now is dangerous?

deputymama

With all the reports on the news, I'm a little nervous about traveling to Mexico. But I love it there. We want to do the Mexican Riviera cruise. Do you think it is safe to cruise to Mexico vs. plane travel to a resort? Or would you avoid both?

I'm a single mom and I would have absolutely no hesitation booking a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. The port areas are as safe as anything I've seen in America. I probably wouldn't book a tour that takes me outside the main tourist areas, but I'd have no problem walking alone with my toddlers to any of the places we usually go while on a Mexico cruise.

I wouldn't, however, book a week at a resort that's an hour outside of Cancun - not because it's not safe at the resort, but because of the travel to/from the resort.

Best,

Mia

Even the most popular resorts in Mexico are virtually empty now. I just saw a story on NBC news that showed resorts that are highly booked by spring breakers and they were nearly empty. No matter where you go, and no matter how innocent, with all the groups shooting without hesitation, I would be very careful in Mexico, especially on the Pacific Coast. We're leaving on a cruise through the Panama Canal in a week, with three stops in Mexico on the Pacific side, and I know we're not taking any tours, and we've decided to stay close to the ship. But I do think cruises are much safer than booking a land tour in Mexico.

BTW, we returned from a cruise three weeks ago to Cozumel and had no problems, but we stayed near the dock area and didn't go into town. But no one reported any problems.

We live in Southern California so we get to hear about EVERYTHING going on in Mexico. We were booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise but cancelled it and switched to one going to St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay. We thought it was worth the extra money not to have to worry about violence in Mexico (no matter how slight the chance). Why would I pay money to worry about my safety on vacation?

From what I've heard from those returnng from Mexican cruises, is that the ports are all safe, but that traveling into the interior a tourist should be weary. Based on that, I'm considering taking my family on a 5-day cruise out of San Diego in October. Admittedly, the Radiance only goes to Ensanada and Cabo, but again these locations limit the risk. :cool:

I am going there next month and I have no fears taking my two kids. The state department warning specifies border towns by name. It does tell you to be aware of your surroundings in other parts of Mexico but as long as you stick to the tourist areas you should be fine.

Archived