October too cold for beach-Greece?

I've noticed that most of the ship's shore excursions in Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, etc. after Oct. 1 don't include beaches. Is it simply too cool for a day at the beach or can you venture out on your own and enjoy a day in the sunshine with a good book, a glass of wine, in a lounge chair by the water? I don't mind taking along a jacket, but rather fancy the idea of spending some time at the beach rather than clomping around every port town on our itinerary...

Thoughts?

Jennifer

The earlier you go in October and the further south you go will obviously have better weather. I've been in Greece late September and it was gorgeous. Late October you're taking more of a risk but can still get some really nice beach days.

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed that most of the ship's shore excursions in Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, etc. after Oct. 1 don't include beaches. Is it simply too cool for a day at the beach or can you venture out on your own and enjoy a day in the sunshine with a good book, a glass of wine, in a lounge chair by the water? I don't mind taking along a jacket, but rather fancy the idea of spending some time at the beach rather than clomping around every port town on our itinerary...

Thoughts?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

In the Southern Aegean you may be lucky to have beautiful days for enjoying the beach. I was in Greece in early October on a land vacation and it was high 70's to 80 degrees each day - perfect for enjoying the beach. However...the water is ICE cold. You will not want to venture into the water for long if at all. As an alternative, we found ourselves sitting in one of the many tavernas along the waterfront watching the fishermen unload the day's catch and enjoying the wonderful Greek wines.

Enjoy your cruise!

As an alternative, we found ourselves sitting in one of the many tavernas along the waterfront watching the fishermen unload the day's catch and enjoying the wonderful Greek wines.

This sounds like the perfect mix...David and I are not the "check off the list" sightseers, opting rather to enjoy the ambience of a place. You probably have suggested just the type of day we'd love. In Villefrance Sur Mer, we found it hard to leave our hotel room with a balcony, looking out over the fishing harbor, to sightsee!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

Jennifer

In Villefrance Sur Mer, we found it hard to leave our hotel room with a balcony, looking out over the fishing harbor, to sightsee!

Well that's a coincidence as I will be on a cruise this October with Villefrance as one of our ports! I will be taking my Mom who wants to see Monte Carlo as she was a huge fan of Princess Grace Kelly. I understand it is an easy train ride from the port so I want to grant her wish, but hope that there will be time to enjoy the scenery around the harbor as well.

In any event, a day in France (or Greece) is better than a day at the office!

Safe and happy travels!

Pam

Archived