Dining room

jbroons

My comment had nothing to do with hard working posters. I am one myself. What people write does show how lacking the general public, myself included, can be in regard to grammer and spelling. IMHO, we all have not learned enough during the thousands of hours we spent in public school. It was not a "slam" on people making a post. Just an observation. :)

Yes, I'm glad you included yourself:D.

Actually it is simple to remember about your evening meal - you DINE at DINNER in the DINING ROOM. Well, maybe not as simple as it *could* be.:p

I really abide by the CC board rule about not correcting spelling, but it is nice once in awhile to have a thread like this to "let it all hang out". As a practicing perfectionist, I expect perfection from myself, but not from others.

I've never understood how people get to adulthood and still don't know how to spell, don't know simple grammar and word usage! Didn't they get papers corrected over and over during their school years?

Anyway, y'all (a perfectly proper word from this Texan) have mentioned the ones most cringe inducing for me - "I seen..", "I COULD care less...", "irregardless", "room stewart", et al. One thing I see now and again that really bugs me for some reason is when a poster is taking the time to type up a post, and then throws in what I assume is text shorthand, like "u" instead of adding those whole two other letters and spelling out "you", or "some1", instead of "someone" - it's harder to reach up and hit that "1" than it is to type out "one"! "Prolly" really bugs, too - I'm just enough of a snot to NOT find it a "cute" word.

I've never understood how people get to adulthood and still don't know how to spell, don't know simple grammar and word usage! Didn't they get papers corrected over and over during their school years?

Anyway, y'all (a perfectly proper word from this Texan) have mentioned the ones most cringe inducing for me - "I seen..", "I COULD care less...", "irregardless", "room stewart", et al. One thing I see now and again that really bugs me for some reason is when a poster is taking the time to type up a post, and then throws in what I assume is text shorthand, like "u" instead of adding those whole two other letters and spelling out "you", or "some1", instead of "someone" - it's harder to reach up and hit that "1" than it is to type out "one"! "Prolly" really bugs, too - I'm just enough of a snot to NOT find it a "cute" word.

w3rd

Technically, isn't it "all y'all"?

Anyway...it always bothered me when my kids would misspell a word on purpose when texting or instant-messaging a friend. I found that they then started to do it with school work as it started to become a habit...Well, the habit stopped!! Except in the dinning room!;)

Realoy i thinks its "supper" in the dinning room. Dinner is prolly the meal u eats at noon time! LMAO

Actually. you have breakfast in the Morning, Lunch at Noon, dinner at 3 or 4, and supper in the late evening. I see people constantly switching dinner and supper or lunch as if they mean the same, but being a good southern girl, I was taught the difference.

Just kidding with you.

I was also taught that it ain't fittin for a girl to run around talkin' (typin') like a heathen when she should be luhnin' how to talk (type) proper-like. You can't neva catch a husband with that kind a talkin' (typin). Mens likes them a woman what dey can show off to dey men friends. :D :D

Technically, isn't it "all y'all"?

Well now it COULD be "all y'all", but only if every one of you posted what I was agreeing to. Now all y'all are funny, but only some of y'all posted about the things that bug me, too. And just to be clear, y'all could just mean you, too! It's used in the singular and the plural! :p

Actually. you have breakfast in the Morning, Lunch at Noon, dinner at 3 or 4, and supper in the late evening. I see people constantly switching dinner and supper or lunch as if they mean the same, but being a good southern girl, I was taught the difference.

Just kidding with you.

I was also taught that it ain't fittin for a girl to run around talkin' (typin') like a heathen when she should be luhnin' how to talk (type) proper-like. You can't neva catch a husband with that kind a talkin' (typin). Mens likes them a woman what dey can show off to dey men friends. :D :D

UMMM....I can see you in your Daisy-Dukes right now;)

Archived