Possible Code Red On Westerdam

spcl4cs_gal

I hope there is no Code Red as wife and I board her on April 12!

We also board the Westerdam on 4/12/09 - I'm stocking up on sanitizer and keeping my fingers crossed. (in my pockets of course).

We board the Westerdam this coming Sunday and I figure it is what it is. I'll try to get over having someone pour my coffee instead of getting it myself.:D In all seriousness, you can get sick anywhere, anytime. The best you can do is try to protect yourself and take precautions.

When do they determine if the ship is no longer code red. How many days free of any illness does the ship need to clear to determine this

It's based on the number (and/or percentages) of affected patients (pax + crew). If that/they fall below a certain number, the code is lifted.

We were also on the Westerdam 3/15 thru 3/22. Thankfully, we did not get sick but tried to be extra cautious in hand washing and comply with using hand sanitizer wherever it was stationed. The crew all worked so much harder than usual to serve everyone and they all work very hard in a normal situation!! We found it easier, at least for breakfast, to order room service and have our own coffee pot and cream rather than wait in line. Much quieter and the food was always good. Before entering the shops they asked you to use the sanitizer before coming in. One woman refused, telling the sales girl, "I'm not sanitizing my hands just to come in and shop, how ridiculous" and walked out. The sales girl apologized to all of us that were in the shop and we told her she was doing the right thing and not to apologize for someone being rude. Some people just don't get it! If it inconveniences them in any way, they lash out at the staff. Yes, it slowed things down getting food and drinks but too see how hard they all had to work and still smile, I commend them! Sadly, some people just have to complain and lash out at others. Thankfully, they are not the majority and it was a great cruise!!! Hope everyone who's cruising soon will enjoy the ship and the crew as much as we did.

I dont know what you do for a living but you dont know what your talking about when it comes to Airliners and air conditioning and pressurization:confused::confused::confused:

Actually he was right on one thing, I totally misspoke on one point, the AC packs have nothing to do with keeping the air pressure maintained, I have no idea why I typed that :confused:

Air pressure is kept by the outflow valve.

To get almost technical for a second.

Air for the cabin comes from a number of different places at different times, but lets deal with when the aircraft is in cruise.

Air is bled of from the engine to the AC packs where it is cooled then sent to the cabin etc, yes there are a few steps in between but this really isn't the place to get into talking about the air being drawn from the 7th or 13th stage.

And yes the air that is recirculated is passed through filters.

As to cost, well the airlines have two choices, supply air at a fixed cost or don't, trust me you don't want the second.

The new Gnex line of engines and the 787 will not use this system, instead they are using a pure electric system that they think will lower costs, however it has required a big jump in the amount of power required, so a larger generator is needed, which of course means more expense, time will tell.

Again, I am being overly general as this really isn't the place to discuss aircraft AC packs etc.

I dont care how many outflow valves you have and yes they do control the pressure in the plane but without the A/c packs you couldnt pressurize the airplane.I'm an aircraft mechanic for a major airline for 20 years.And yes on the ground they use an a/c truck or hose to cool the plane while it's on the ground.And no the do not put oxygen into the plane,thats the whole reason for pressurizing.:D

I dont care how many outflow valves you have and yes they do control the pressure in the plane but without the A/c packs you couldnt pressurize the airplane.I'm an aircraft mechanic for a major airline for 20 years.And yes on the ground they use an a/c truck or hose to cool the plane while it's on the ground.And no the do not put oxygen into the plane,thats the whole reason for pressurizing

Hi gww303. I gave up on the education aspect of this thread when Al Dente said they add oxygen to the plane. This thread was about Code Red after all. I am also a Jet Mech for many years. Some things are best left to the experts I say. LOL

I assume you are going on the Westerdam soon, I'll leave you an extra oxygen bag near the pool.

Sorry yycruiser I wont be on your cruise.I'm on a carnival cruise in April.I was just cruising the boards and stumbled onto this thread.If your like me you get frustrated when people talk nonsense when it comes to aviation.

Thanks for the beer offer.

I dont know what you do for a living but you dont know what your talking about when it comes to Airliners and airconditioning and pressurization:confused::confused::confused:

Then perhaps you could tell us what I said that was wrong instead of just declaring that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hey all!

I am on the Westerdam in two weeks - looking for updates here about Code Red - any chance we can stick to the thread topic!?:D

Sometimes Noro rears it`s ugly head. Most times not.

Enjoy your cruise.

Rich

Was worrying about the same thing. Enough that everytime anyone responded to this it hit my Blackberry. I guess I will pack the clorox wipes, Imodium and Pepto as someone suggested. I hate to think that I might become a germophobe..or whatever it is called. I hate more to think that I might become sick on vacation. Amazing, I work in the Medical Waste industry and wash my hands SOOOO much more than most, but sheesh this would be awful. Bringing my red bags and Hazerdous waste placards with me.

Frank

Archived