Possible Code Red On Westerdam

spcl4cs_gal

WOAH! if you add 20,000 feet to Mt. Everest, that means you're talking about over 49,000 feet, dude!:eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of commercial airlines flying THAT high!

Typical cruising altitude of a commercial aircraft will be anywhere between 30,000 and 43,000 feet I've flown transatlantic at 39,000 feet.

The Concord flew between 50,000 and 60,000.

There is no 'set' cruising altitude. It depends upon the conditions.

We're getting on the Westerdam next weekend so we are also following this closely. I do so hope that HAL nips this thing today during their "deep cleaning."

We were on a cruise a year ago in Code Red. It wasn't the best, but it definitely didn't ruin the cruise! Our biggest disappointment was that they closed the spa. We had booked a week with the Hydropool, loungers, etc. and so that was a disappointment. We looked on the bright side, though - we got two days of it for free before the Code Red, since they didn't charge us!

We had a dining table for 10, and only 3 of us remained well. DH and I and one other guy. We credit our wellness to washing our hands, using Purell, and just being careful. We also noticed some of our dinner table partners out about on the ship when they were SUPPOSED to be in quarantine....

Somebody mentioned on this thread or another that the library was closed during Code Red. That wasn't true in ours. The library was open, but you couldn't browse the books yourself. You had to tell the attendant which book you wanted and they would get it for you and wipe it down. I know this probably wasn't the optimum, but that's how it was on our cruise.

Mary

... but the number of people I saw on Princess walking right past the hand sanitizer was scary.
On our one and only RCCL cruise we never saw anyone other than us use them! :eek: Surprisingly, several of them were empty. This was especially upsetting at the Windjammer buffet, where it is nearly all self-service.

Just one of the many things we didn't like about RCCL.

I was checking on the code red, but will try to clear up the airplane debate.

there is no cost to the airlines to bring in air from the outside of a plane

There is a cost associated with pressurizing the AC. The air taken from the engine reduces the thrust pushing the AC forward. So to reduce the amount of air taken from the engine the amount of air escaping is reduced as much as possible. Meaning a higher % of recirculated air. The cabin altitude is also higher than you are used to living in, approximately 8000 feet ASL. So that is why you may feel more drained after a flight.

There is a cost associated with pressurizing the AC. The air taken from the engine reduces the thrust pushing the AC forward. So to reduce the amount of air taken from the engine the amount of air escaping is reduced as much as possible. Meaning a higher % of recirculated air.
Isn't there a higher cost of replacing the filter packs more frequently when more air is recirculated?

Yes, most AC now have HEPA filtering. That filter is changed on a schedule set by the individual airline based on the manufacturers reccomendations. I don't think it is as much a factor as the increased fuel costs though when you divide the number of hours between replacements and the filter cost.

BTW the airconditioning packs do provide airconditioning as well as heating. This is done using a cooling turbine.

It's primarily fuel costs, but also oxygen. I don't know if they use HEPA filters on outside air but I doubt it since the air at flight altitudes is remarkably free of particulates.

Outside air at altitude is at a lower pressure so it has to be raised to cabin pressures. Pressurizing it requires power which in turn burns additional fuel. Oxygen also has to be added. The airlines say it costs them about $25/hour to supply 15 cubic feet/min of outside air vs. 5 cubic feet. Those figures are from 2000, so adjust upward accordingly.

Of course, when you break those costs down to per passenger, it's a few cents per hour. Who here wouldn't be willing to pay a few cents per hour to enjoy cleaner, healthier air during flights?

We got off the Westerdam this morning. The ship's Code Red status affected our use of the thermal suite and hydro therapy pool, which were closed down on our final two days at sea. We did get a partial refund for the money we paid for the week.

The Bright Star code apparently was a death, according to our tablemate, who was a friend of one of the ship's medical officers. It was right down the corridor from our cabin--but they closed the partition to keep the other passengers from seeing what was happening.

This morning, outside cleaners were brought on to do the deep cleaning. They roped off areas after they had been cleaned. Each of these areas had signs posted to keep people out of them.

We were supposed to be off between 10 and 10:15 this morning. At 9:15 the cruise director made the announcement for all passengers to disembark immediately.

hopefully the deep cleaning solves the problem. Hopefully someone sailing this week reports whats going on. Does anyone right now know what time people were able to start boarding today and what time they were set to sail.

I don't know what time they were able to start boarding, but they set sail an hour late due to the code red.

When do they determine if the ship is no longer code red. How many days free of any illness does the ship need to clear to determine this

I think it's three.

I boarded the Veendam under Code Red a few weeks ago. It was late on the second (IIRC) full day when things started to get back to normal. It took another full day for normalcy to be complete.

I think it's three.

I boarded the Veendam under Code Red a few weeks ago. It was late on the second (IIRC) full day when things started to get back to normal. It took another full day for normalcy to be complete.

I think it's 3 days without any new cases, not necessarily free of all cases ... but that may be wrong. What happens when a cruise ends, and all cases disembark? Does that end the Code Red, or does the clock keep running from when it was declared? (I presume the "deep cleaning" on turnaround day would reset the clock.)

We're getting on the Westerdam next weekend so we are also following this closely. I do so hope that HAL nips this thing today during their "deep cleaning."

We were on a cruise a year ago in Code Red. It wasn't the best, but it definitely didn't ruin the cruise! Our biggest disappointment was that they closed the spa. We had booked a week with the Hydropool, loungers, etc. and so that was a disappointment. We looked on the bright side, though - we got two days of it for free before the Code Red, since they didn't charge us!

We had a dining table for 10, and only 3 of us remained well. DH and I and one other guy. We credit our wellness to washing our hands, using Purell, and just being careful. We also noticed some of our dinner table partners out about on the ship when they were SUPPOSED to be in quarantine....

Somebody mentioned on this thread or another that the library was closed during Code Red. That wasn't true in ours. The library was open, but you couldn't browse the books yourself. You had to tell the attendant which book you wanted and they would get it for you and wipe it down. I know this probably wasn't the optimum, but that's how it was on our cruise.

Mary

I believe I was the one who said the library was closed, and I stand corrected. The books were behind closed glass or plexiglass doors, and the library was not really well attended by passengers. Before the Code Red there were people reading, playing games, using computers or just relaxing.

As for the Hydropool, etc., we had the package for our 10 days and only had the first and second day to use it until they put the ship in Code Red. They charged us for the 2 days and gave us a credit for the remaining 8.

Having been on this cruise...and back at work exhausted, the Code Red was a serious issue. There were forty passengers (according to the medical staff) and quite a few crew affected. However, for the most part it was just a minor inconvenience. Some passengers bemoaned the fact that it ruined their entire cruise, along with the lack of Lido trays, and the glasses that are too small. personally, if I never see another drop of Purell, it will be too soon.

All in all a wonderful cruise!!!

now learning that crew were involved this seems like it could keep spreading. Not good. The original report was much better.

There is always crew involved. The problem there is, as I understand it, not only is the crew member who is sick quarantined, so is his or her roommate. Don't worry, HAL knows how to handle this without our help or concern. Believe me, the last thing they want to do is contaminate passengers. So, IMHO, you are better protected as far as sick crew are concerned than when passengers get sick. Passengers tend to try to cover it up. The crew is under strict quarentine.

There were numerous crew that were down as a reult of the Code Red. As a result ALL crew members were required to help out. Musicians, entertainers, shop assistants, everyone was helping out, serving food in the buffet etc. I found it a little eerie when the Band Leader was pouring me a cup of coffee the other day at breakfast.

Also, in the gift shops, they were very short staffed, and the metal gates were partially down. This was done as they did not have enough staff to supervise for shop lifters. Mind you there was not that much to steal, as everything that a person might touch - rings, perfume sample bottles, was put away.

There were numerous crew that were down as a reult of the Code Red. As a result ALL crew members were required to help out. Musicians, entertainers, shop assistants, everyone was helping out, serving food in the buffet etc. I found it a little eerie when the Band Leader was pouring me a cup of coffee the other day at breakfast.

Also, in the gift shops, they were very short staffed, and the metal gates were partially down. This was done as they did not have enough staff to supervise for shop lifters. Mind you there was not that much to steal, as everything that a person might touch - rings, perfume sample bottles, was put away.

It isn't so much that numerous crew members are down (although they may be), as it is that the regular crew members are busy with extra duties, cleaning and handing out food that is normally self-serve and making sure we use Purell at all entrances. We also had entertainers, and even senior staff's spouses, serving us coffee on the Noordam. The metal gates were cown in the shops as well, but I didn't think it was to deter shoplifting as much as to control the crowds and make sure everyone used Purell and didn't touch merchandise.

Code Red puts an enourmous stain on the crew, yet they never fail to smile and do the little extras that make them so special.

FDA Warns Consumers, Food Service Operators, and Retailers to Avoid Oysters Recently Harvested from Mississippi Area 2C <http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2009/NEW01978.html>

Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:39:00 -0500

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising retailers and food service operators not to offer for sale oysters harvested between Feb. 24 and March 17, 2009, from Mississippi Area 2C, located in the Mississippi Sound portion of the Gulf of Mexico near Pass Christian, Miss. Further, consumers are advised not to eat such oysters. Consumers who are uncertain about the origin of oysters they currently have should contact the place of purchase to determine if the oysters are from the affected area as the Agency investigates an outbreak of norovirus illnesses associated with the oysters. Norovirus is a foodborne pathogen that can cause acute gastroenteritis in humans.

We are cruising on the Westerdam next week (3/29). I am hoping someone from aboard ship posts as to the status of the Code Red this week...lots of us on the Roll Call board are anxious to know!

Welcome back to those who sailed last week & thanks for posting! I'm glad your cruises weren't too affected by the Code Red.

On a side note--RuthC--your chocolate tag lines always make me smile!:)

I think it's 3 days without any new cases, not necessarily free of all cases ... but that may be wrong. What happens when a cruise ends, and all cases disembark? Does that end the Code Red, or does the clock keep running from when it was declared? (I presume the "deep cleaning" on turnaround day would reset the clock.)

You may be right about the three days with no new cases, but I'm not sure that a deep-cleaning on turn-around day resets the clock.

(I don't know one way or the other.)

I do know that when I boarded the Veendam, it was under Code Red. I don't believe the ship had been deep-cleaned, though.

Al Dente posted

It's primarily fuel costs, but also oxygen. I don't know if they use HEPA filters on outside air but I doubt it since the air at flight altitudes is remarkably free of particulates.

Outside air at altitude is at a lower pressure so it has to be raised to cabin pressures. Pressurizing it requires power which in turn burns additional fuel. Oxygen also has to be added. The airlines say it costs them about $25/hour to supply 15 cubic feet/min of outside air vs. 5 cubic feet. Those figures are from 2000, so adjust upward accordingly.

Of course, when you break those costs down to per passenger, it's a few cents per hour. Who here wouldn't be willing to pay a few cents per hour to enjoy cleaner, healthier air during flights?

I dont know what you do for a living but you dont know what your talking about when it comes to Airliners and airconditioning and pressurization:confused::confused::confused:

We were on the Oosterdam 02/28 to 03/14, we boarded under a Code Red which was lifted after about 9 days, after a ton of extra work for the crew. Did it bother us? Not really. There were some minor inconveniences, and Captain VanderLoo noted that he and this cruise would be forever remembered as the "Wash your Hands" cruise. Obviously all the hard work paid off, and it was good to note that the handwashing continued even after the Code Red was dropped, people got into the habit. You can bring extra Purell on board but every passsenger was provided with 2 bottles of the stuff, and it was there, in your face, wherever you went. I was very impressed with the work done to keep passengers informed and educated. Just follow the recommendations, and you should be just fine, don't let it stop you from enjoying your cruise.

Archived