Further discounts

MOOKIE544

I am a first time cruiser who booked directly through Princess. I keep reading about people getting additional discounts on their fare. Where do I look to see if my cruise has had any of these discounts? :)

Since you booked direct, you can keep checking Princess website for price drops. If one happens before final payment, call Princess and ask them if they will adjust your price.

OR, unless you booked one of those great two for one rates with Princess that prices can't be beat on, check around for a discount TA's that will give you a discount on your price and transfer your booking to them.

Just keep checking the Princess Web site for the fare prices. If you see a drop, call them and have them adjust. You can also watch other websites or TA's and have your cruise transfered if their price is lower.

I think it partly depends on what cabin category you chose. Our experience has been with an inside cabin we have (on occasion) found the best prices on Princess.com and have booked half of our cruises that way, including our one in two weeks. Never saw a better price through a TA, but I can believe that if you booked a balcony or higher category, you could probably get a better deal from a TA. But it's worth keeping an eye on Princess.com and other online sites.

Mike

you can either go online and pretend to book a cabin and see what the price for your cabin category is (you can go all the way past flights/ insurance before it asks for a credit card number, then just cancel), OR call them. i find they give me a better price on the phone than shows on the website (even signed in). i call every so often and ask if i'm missing out on anything, if i can get it cheaper, or a better cabin. sometimes the answer has been yes!

It is also my understanding that even if Princess has a better price, you can STILL transfer to a TA and not lose your price! (I haven't done this but I'm getting ready to). Why would you do this? If the TA has a group on the cruise, you can get added to their group and get the group amenities (like, say, a shipboard credit?) whatever the TA's offering.

Someone let me know if this is not the case (again, I didn't do this yet, am just in the process of getting ready to).

If you book directly with Princess, you are treated like a travel agent - you will get an e-mail regarding the fare reduction which they automatically give you. I am talking about fare reductions that occur BEFORE you pay in full - once you pay in full, you are locked in. But to be safe, it doesn't hurt to call Princess and ask them.

This is not universally true, that Princess will inform you of any fare drops. You need to check the princess.com weekly, if not daily. ken

I agree. When it comes to fare drops there is only one person responsible for searching for those reductions, and that's the passenger!

BTW, unless there is a flash promotion going on for new bookings, it is rare that Princess will beat a good, high volume TA. Even when Princess offered the special 2 for 1 deal a few months ago, high volume TA's were able to discount even more. :p

We booked with a TA. This week on my travel agents web page they had a Princess Advertisment that stated all Princess Cruises are on sale this week. Called my TA. They checked it out and got our fare reduced $421. That is to say that my new fare is $421 less than what Princess shows on their website, even with my past passenger discounts (which they do show). This is the second price drop since we booked in November....the first being $370 plus $126 fuel surchage refund. Hope this helps.

Makes cruising that much more enjoyable.

This is not universally true, that Princess will inform you of any fare drops. You need to check the princess.com weekly, if not daily. ken

Just basing this on what has happened to me in the past. But anything can happen, I guess.

Archived