The Chandris Liners & Celebrity Cruises, by Peter Plowman

Sailaways_

Hi guys,

I posted this question on the "ask a cruise question" board without much luck :( so maybe I'll have some better luck here with some other Celebrity fans. I sure hope so! :)

I found The Chandris Liners and Celebrity Cruises as a reference on cruise site, and was wondering if anyone else had read it. Was it any good? I love Celebrity and reading about the history of cruising, but I'm worried that it might be kind of dry. Like, too historical and not enough anecdotes, you know what I mean? Plus, the price on Amazon is $40 - that's a lot for one book!

Here's the link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Chandris-Liner...7313086&sr=1-1

If you read the "reviews" on the book, sounds like it's NOT dry, but interesting to read....cant get it from your "link" tho, it doesn't work. I admit we got hooked on cruising (not like some people a we've been only on 9, finances preventing more) By our first cruise on Celebrity's 1st liner...the Meridian, a Chandris liner, a grand old lady Noticed several "used" editions...don't feel the type who'd buy this would trash it, so would likely be in good condition? Admit 40$ for a paperback book, as that's what it's listed as, is pretty steep!

About the Chandris Line. My mother sailed around the world twice on consecuitive summers. Got friendly with the CD (not called that then tho'). It ended up, she moved to Athens to manage his several properties and stayed 9 years! She was on and off his ships many times during those years.

Since we started sailing in 2000 I have met many people who knew him (Michael) and my mother. I carry pictures and ask anyone who looks old enough to remember. It has been a lot of fun. I don't see that many people anymore tho, as the years go on. At one time, officers would run, figuratively, to get away from me when they saw a picture in my hand :) .

I could tell many stories about meeting those crew who remembered her. I especially enjoy meeting someone now that she has passed away, at the wonderful age of 97!

Chandris was a grand old line. I wish for those days, as X officers begin to be non-Greek.

Go to abebooks.com. They have lots of copies at good prices.

If you like books about the cruise industry, you must read "Devils of the Deep Blue Sea". Its the story of the Arisons, Carnival, NCL and Royal Cariibbean. For example, do you know that Carnival's Ted Arison was a founder of NCL!!

I agree, go to your library (in person or use their online catalog). If they don't have it, they can use the interlibrary loan system to get it for you at no cost. Great bargain in these tough economic times. (Sorry, shameless plug for libraries!)

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I have an Amazon giftcard which is why I looked on Amazon first, but I will definitely check out those sites you guys suggested. thanks!

@Seapoint: Yes, that's totally the next on my list! I'm dying to read it. I don't know if I should just order it now or save it for my next cruise (June). I like reading cruise books on cruises, it's kinda weird I know. But, I'm thinking impatience may win on this one :p

@Librarylady: I probably should check out my library...buuuut, I checked out some books a few years ago and never returned them :eek: so I am kind of afraid of going back there, lol!

I have a copy of this book. I found it quite interesting, but there again I'm a ship nut. It's predominately about the Chandris liners, and not about Celebrity. Out of 21 chapters, no more than four or so mention Celebrity. The author says in the foreward: "My prime objective ... was to record the history of the vessels owned by Chandris Line that operated between Europe and Australia from 1959 to 1978.... it became apparent that it was necessary to include the ships owned by Chandris Cruises ... as in 1974 the two companies merged under a single banner."

There are complete chapters on each of these old liners: Patris; Bretagne/Brittany; Ellinis; Australis; Queen Frederika; Amerikanis; Britanis; and Atlantis. So if you're interested in these old ships (or have even heard about them...) you'll be interested. If not, you might not be.

Note also that the last ships covered in any real detail are the C-class ships - these were ordered and the first couple delivered when Celebrity was still owned by the Chandris family, and before the merger with RCI. There's a bit of coverage of the M-class ships (though only a few pages out of nearly 250 in total), and the book finishes with a mention of Century's refit in 2006.

So the main subject is those old liners that Chandris operated from the 50s through to the 70s, and the first generation of cruise ships that they operated in the 70s and 80s.

"Australis; Amerikanis; Britanis"

These are the ships that my mother sailed frequently, out of Piraeus. There were pictures of Amerikanis, I think, on Zenith. There was also a model of one of them somewhere I have seen. They were beautiful and graceful ladies.

Archived