Power w/c rental from Special Needs at Sea

Has anyone rented the power wheelchairs that Special Needs at Sea offers, and if so what condition were the wheelchairs in?

We are considering renting one from them for our 10 day Equinox cruise 12/14 and have never used this company before. I called them and they told me the brand they rent is the "shoprider" which I am not familiar with...

We would appreciate hearing from anyone that has used them....

Hubby has arthritis and will be using it full time onboard.

Was that the company that the cruise line told you to use? Most lines now you can only use the Approved vendors.

as for the shoprider power chairs.

http://www.shoprider.com/category/power-chairs/

Don't know what ones this place uses or what shape they would be in though.

Oh and I am assuming you have an HC cabin already booked.

I always use CareVacations and I've not had a problem. I've used them for Carnival, RCCI and Celebrity. They offer three kinds of scooters and a choice of two power chairs. To be honest, I've not heard of the company you mention. And, CareVacations provided a scooter for me in Harwich England and Copenhagen.

As a TA specializing in w/c accessible travel, I use and recommend Special Needs at Sea, exclusively, and have always had top-notch equipment for half the price of those unethical shysters at Care Vacations.

Special Needs at Sea is used and approved by all the major travel suppliers, Cruise Lines as well as Hotels, and are world wide in their support. Their only business is renting medical equipment and supplies, they are not a Travel Agency with a sideline in scooter rental as is Care Vacations.

As a TA specializing in w/c accessible travel, I use and recommend Special Needs at Sea, exclusively, and have always had top-notch equipment for half the price of those unethical shysters at Care Vacations.

Special Needs at Sea is used and approved by all the major travel suppliers, Cruise Lines as well as Hotels, and are world wide in their support. Their only business is renting medical equipment and supplies, they are not a Travel Agency with a sideline in scooter rental as is Care Vacations.

NCL only does business with CareVacations. Are they (NCL) not a "major travel supplier"? Obviously you've had problems with them...but "unethical shysters" might get you into legal trouble.

I do agree that they charge more than other suppliers...but if someone is going to travel on the NCL cruise line, they can only do business with CareVacations. Several other lines now have special contracts with specific companies as well.

NCL only does business with CareVacations. Are they (NCL) not a "major travel supplier"? Obviously you've had problems with them...but "unethical shysters" might get you into legal trouble.

I do agree that they charge more than other suppliers...but if someone is going to travel on the NCL cruise line, they can only do business with CareVacations. Several other lines now have special contracts with specific companies as well.

Not true. I use Special Needs At Sea with NCL, regularly. I have never been unable to use them, regardless of any special promotional deals any line has with any medical supplier. They are only that: promotional cross-marketing deals, they have no effect on who can deliver things to ships.

Not true. I use Special Needs At Sea with NCL, regularly. I have never been unable to use them, regardless of any special promotional deals any line has with any medical supplier. They are only that: promotional cross-marketing deals, they have no effect on who can deliver things to ships.

Well, when I didn't know about NCL's exclusive contract with CareVacations, and called Special Needs directly to inquire, I was told by them -- not NCL -- that they were no longer able to do business with NCL, and that I'd have to go to CareVacations. So somebody somewhere has wrong information.

We've used carevacations several times and have always been very pleased with the service we received. The chair was not what we have at home in that they have a platform for the feet instead of adjustable lifting legs BUT they were power chairs with some pockets for storing stuff and they worked!!! We were never stranded while in a chair or unable to do anything we wanted. The chairs were always in our cabin fully charged and ready to go :) I never found the price to be out of hand especially when spending the money means no more hernias for me lol lol plus my DH has total independence :):)

In the past year, I have used a manual wheelchair and two scooters from Special needs at sea on three different cruises.

In all cases they have been very efficient and accomodating and virtually walked me through the process.

In the last instance, we moved cabins once on board but the scooter caught up with me.

Just remember to charge the scooter every night, and have them send you their trouble shooting guide in advance, in case the one in the basket is missing.

Have a great cruise.

Archived