GLBT Celebrity - What can a previous HAL cruiser expect?

HALFans

We're considering Celebrity for our next cruise this fall.

What can we expect as far a treatment from the Staff, Crew & Passengers on Celebrity?

I've read a few negative comments about less than desirable experiences on the Mercury some time ago, but don't know what the current conditions are.

We'd appreciate any insight you all have to offer. Are FOD gatherings posted in the daily listings?

How do the staff & crew treat couples? Are Celebrity passengers mostly the same accepting 'Experienced travelers' we've seen on Holland America?

Thanks for your input!

Hi, we have taken something like 12 cruises and so far have had a very good experience with just about every cruise line.

We have taken 3 cruises with X and have found them as accommodating and positive as any other. They do have FOD gatherings every evening, posted in the daily......... ironically the only slightly difficult experience we have ever had with our steward was on HAL.

We enjoyed them very much, but perhaps our experience is evolving - we are looking at ships with more varied dining times rather than the fixed table and seating arrangements. Other dining alternatives on X are not plentiful, a limited alternative 'buffet' option and the limited menu alternative dining area (which always strikes me as an odd offering).

Entertainment is sometimes a bit spotty (Galaxy and Mercury was so-so, the recent Millennium was excellent) but overall, a very good experience. I'd certainly say try them for sure - demographics I would suggest are more similar to HAL than RRCL/Carnival/NCL but that is to be expected given they are pitching to the same market.

:)Hi HALfans.

Responded to your other post in PenCruiser, must have been while you were writing this.

Just came of the Galazy on Feb 9th. We actually met one of the CC Hosts while on board. There was a known total of about 6 couples and 1 single that showed up to the FOD meetings. Most evening we had three or four couples and the 1 single. Most interesting group.

That is how I found out about CC from the host.

Food was OK, nothing to rave about, its just cruise ship fair. Service was fine, even though this ship was being transferred over to the German subsidary in a few weeks, the inside was in great shape. So I know you won't be on this vessel anytime soon, or at least I don't think so. Outside, not such good shape, don't blame them, the ship is scheduled to be in dry dock with major refurbishments before it is released to the German market. No need to spend money on something thats going to be refurbished in a few weeks.

From our experience, things should be great, if the treatment was any guide on how they would be on the other ships within this line.

Ron :)

• 1 month later...

We are also BIG Celebrity fans. We went on a Mediterranean cruise on the Summit last July and the service, food and entertainment were excellent. FOD meetings every night (but VERY sparecely attended) and my Husband and I received excellent service and no problems whatsoever from anyone on the ship. We even got flowers (without asking) on our 15th anniversary!

We never sailed on HAL. We were very lucky on "The Millie"( Millennium). Our Cruise Director was "family". We had FOD every night with handsome waiters and Horsdouvres. The best FOD ever. Service was superior although I find Royal Caribbean a bit less formal and more to our liking.

I think we need to be listening to those don't understand what FOD is. Many Europeans don't and therefore tend not to show up. I'm all for using both FOD and GLBT .

I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but I agree that it's time to put FOD away and use GLBT for the sake of all nationalities. Princess uses GLBT for their get-togethers. I think the time for codifying is long gone.

My Partner and I will be sailing on the Westerdam in October and would like to know what to expect in the way of treatment towards the gay's on it.

Joe:):):):)

There won't be as many FOD gatherings as on Celebrity. Probably there will be one the 2nd day of the cruise (most often un-hosted), but if it's not in the daily listings you get the evening of embarkation day ask the Cruise Director to schedule one for the next day. You shouldn't have any problem.

We always ask the room steward to put our beds together if they're not that way on boarding - no problem and the stewards generally don't bat an eye.

You might get a few folks who ask if you are brothers... that happens to us almost every cruise. We just say no, we're a couple and most accept it gracefully (or better).

I think about the only negative comment we've had was once about a decade ago from an unenlightened passenger. Those types of comments are pretty much unheard of on Holland America these days.

In general, you can expect to be treated with the same courtesy, open friendliness and grace as any other passenger couple on Holland America. You'll have a great time! On our last cruise on the Ryndam if I showed up alone almost anywhere on the ship, I heard "Where's Mr. Chris?" :D (I think they knew it was our 16th Anniversary cruise.) About the only thing they had problems with was figuring out which of us was 'buying' at any given time, as we'd switch back and forth charging each others account just for fun. They got into it and had fun with us.

Plan to enjoy the cruise and - hopefully - fall in love with Holland America (and a little more in love with each other). ;)

Happy Sails!

Thank You HAL fans For answering my question, I do appreciate it.

I can't wait to go on the Westerdam in October it will me my husbands 65th bd and my 69th. We will be joined by my Younger son's family and some other Friends, we should have a ball or maybe more ( Hope) hehehe.

Joe:D:D:D:D

There won't be as many FOD gatherings as on Celebrity. Probably there will be one the 2nd day of the cruise (most often un-hosted), but if it's not in the daily listings you get the evening of embarkation day ask the Cruise Director to schedule one for the next day.

Not sure when you last sailed with X...on both a May 2008 Celebrity Millennium and December 2008 Celebrity Solstice cruise, FOD parties were held *daily* in the Martini Bar or another similar location.

Not sure when you last sailed with X...on both a May 2008 Celebrity Millennium and December 2008 Celebrity Solstice cruise, FOD parties were held *daily* in the Martini Bar or another similar location.

That's what I mean... there won't be as many on Holland America (2 on our last 10 day cruise) as there are on Celebrity (Daily).

We're going to try Celebrity for our first time this Fall for an Alaska run... :D

That's what I mean... there won't be as many on Holland America (2 on our last 10 day cruise) as there are on Celebrity (Daily).

We're going to try Celebrity for our first time this Fall for an Alaska run... :D

Ugghh. Stupid me. Totally misread your post. I thought you said, "...there won't be as much gatherings on Celebrity," when you were actually saying the opposite.

Sorry about that :-)

Ugghh. Stupid me. Totally misread your post. I thought you said, "...there won't be as much gatherings on Celebrity," when you were actually saying the opposite.

Sorry about that :-)

Not a problem! I wish in addition to the 'Edit' button (that works for 15 minutes) there was a Doh! button (for 24 hours). I sure could use it from time to time! ;)

• 1 month later...

Which Cruise are you on HALFans? We are on the 8 night Mercury 09/13/2009 Alaska from YVR returning to SEA.

Pat & Paul

I think both lines are gay friendly and you should feel welcome at both.

However I did find Celebrity in general better than HAL. The ship have a more modern up to date look and food and service was better and more personal as on HAL. (Food on HAL is always a bit bland) I did find the fellow passengers on X a bit more interesting than the Shady Pines crowd we had on (my only straight regular) HAL cruise. Celebrity does have FOD meetings every evening in the Martine Bar which turned out to be quite an event in the end.

There was a very energetic funny old lady called Dorothy who would come in every evening and call around the room " Hi my name is Dorothy and these are aaaaalllll my friends!" If you are not a trained Martini drinker like I am be aware.... these are not low alcohol watered down drinks....

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I travelled on the Solstice in the eastern Mediterranean in May 2009 (fantastic trip, by the way). Our experience was top-notch across the board. We were treated very well by staff and encountered no problems whatsoever. Fellow travellers were also welcoming (or at least not unwelcoming) - you got the sense that seeing a same sex couple was not a new event for them. There were Friends of Dorothy gatherings each day, although we did not attend (we were too busy doing other things). We researched cruise lines in advance and, generally, Celebrity gets high marks for welcoming LGBT passengers. Celebrity is a great line for ALL travellers.

• 8 months later...

We are doing a transatlantic cruise in Oct. on the Celebrity Eclipse I hope it will be as inviting as all of you say. I know of two other couples going and hope there are more.

:D:);)

Archived