Jamaican BEEF PATTIES!

premiumrican

see, maybe i'm paranoid - but after learning a bit about Jamaican culture and the Rastafarian religion (particularly the alleged dislike of white folks - not trying to be racist here, just realistic), I'm a bit worried about even trying the beef patties.

my point is this - there could be anything in there... any local cook with an issue with the 'wealthy' white tourist cruisers could throw (or, eh, deposit) anything in there, and we'd eat it up, without a second thought. I've worked in enough restaurants here in the states to know that what you think is clean food, isn't necessarily clean food... most of the time, yes - but you can't count on it!

i haven't tried 'em yet, so i certainly can't speak from experience - just from concern...

can somebody put my mind at ease? have you personally seen them cookin' these patties up?

see, maybe i'm paranoid - but after learning a bit about Jamaican culture and the Rastafarian religion (particularly the alleged dislike of white folks - not trying to be racist here, just realistic), I'm a bit worried about even trying the beef patties.

my point is this - there could be anything in there... any local cook with an issue with the 'wealthy' white tourist cruisers could throw (or, eh, deposit) anything in there, and we'd eat it up, without a second thought. I've worked in enough restaurants here in the states to know that what you think is clean food, isn't necessarily clean food... most of the time, yes - but you can't count on it!

i haven't tried 'em yet, so i certainly can't speak from experience - just from concern...

can somebody put my mind at ease? have you personally seen them cookin' these patties up?

I am JAMAICAN with a hubby as white as the driven snow....German/Irish. Been together 20 years, married 15 yrs with 2 kids. Where do you all get this information? The moto of the Jamaican people is Out of Many One People. If you think this is remotely possible I wouldn't go within an inch of the place. I have personally made these beef patties for my very white husband and he is doing fine. How many restaurants have you been to where the food is prepare in front of you....maybe McDonald's or Burger King. BTW, the Rastafarian is a very small percentage of the Jamaican population. Bob Marley introduced Reggae to Americans and therefore most think everyone on the island is either related to him or exactly like him.....we are not! Please, where did you learn this because someone forgot to tell my hubby?

I am JAMAICAN with a hubby as white as the driven snow....German/Irish. Been together 20 years, married 15 yrs with 2 kids. Where do you all get this information? The moto of the Jamaican people is Out of Many One People. If you think this is remotely possible I wouldn't go within an inch of the place. I have personally made these beef patties for my very white husband and he is doing fine. How many restaurants have you been to where the food is prepare in front of you....maybe McDonald's or Burger King. BTW, the Rastafarian is a very small percentage of the Jamaican population. Bob Marley introduced Reggae to Americans and therefore most think everyone on the island is either related to him or exactly like him.....we are not! Please, where did you learn this because someone forgot to tell my hubby?

whoa... take a deep breath... calm down... i asked for somebody to put my mind at ease, not shout at me.

Your post doesn't really make me feel like the Jamaicans are going to be particularly friendly, if I get the same response from them when I ask for encouragement to put my mind at ease.

I will be in Jamaica next month. I guess I'm probably considered a "wealthy white tourist" even though I don't feel wealthy these days. My first stop will be for patties. I may have some goat curry during the day and definitely some jerk. Maybe I'll even have some of jamaica's fresh seafood. I will not worry any more about the food----even the street food---in Jamaica than I would worry about it in my hometown. I think there's probably less chance of something funny in my patty than there is at the fast food chain place here in the US. Don't take your prejudices with you. If you treat others with respect you will get it back. I have always been treated well by the vendors in the countries I've traveled to. They want your money. They don't want you sick.

whoa... take a deep breath... calm down... i asked for somebody to put my mind at ease, not shout at me.

Your post doesn't really make me feel like the Jamaicans are going to be particularly friendly, if I get the same response from them when I ask for encouragement to put my mind at ease.

Sorry, but can you imagine me asking this about Americans or whites. Yes, I have had my concerns about race issues in the US but would never think as a culture or society I should worry. BTW as a culture Jamaicans love whites and at times the lighter complexions living there are treated better than darker ones. That's a lesson for another day :-)

How did my simple question of asking if there was a patty shop on or near the pier get blown so out of proportion!!! Geez, People on these boards need to really relax.

Now back to my original question...Thanks for the response Kooljamming. Is spice and nice patties on the pier?

How did my simple question of asking if there was a patty shop on or near the pier get blown so out of proportion!!! Geez, People on these boards need to really relax.

Now back to my original question...Thanks for the response Kooljamming. Is spice and nice patties on the pier?

It's very close by. Just ask your guide or someone the location of the patty shop. They are good to eat in every sense of the word:p

The best patties I tasted are called Juici patties, they are delicious, ask your guide where you can get some. They have all kinds, even lobster!!!!

I'll be there in 3 weeks. I'll ask Marva Shaw to take us there. If I can find Juici patties and they have lobster ones-----this could be one of the best days of my life. Yah mon!:D

I think you will not have fun traveling...you should stay home, possibly in a plastic bubble.

OH MY LOBSTER PATTIES!!! Don't have a guide, planning to just get off the ship and do a little shopping. I have been to Jamaica before. Hope I can find Juici Patties.

It's by the clock tower to the left of it, about 10 minutes (give and take) from the pier.

other tid bit

Internet Cafe is by Burger King - going in the opposite direction of Margarittaville. In that same direction but across the street a local gorcery store for coffee and hot sauce.

It's by the clock tower to the left of it, about 10 minutes (give and take) from the pier.

other tid bit

Internet Cafe is by Burger King - going in the opposite direction of Margarittaville. In that same direction but across the street a local gorcery store for coffee and hot sauce.

Is that small clock tower in the center of town, past the sunset Jamaica Grande? I believe there is a Jerk Center there or am I totally off.

Is that small clock tower in the center of town, past the sunset Jamaica Grande? I believe there is a Jerk Center there or am I totally off.

Yes, you are correct. There is another one closer to the pier. It's on the street between NCB bank and Burger King, on the other side of the street from Sunset Jamaica Grande. I vacationed quite a bit at SJG and would walk go to this one for patties. It took a while to remap Ocho Rios in my head:D

Hi Kooljamming, I looked at your pictures of your family on vacation and like to say you have a good looking family, :p looks like you all had a good time.. I will be going to Ocho Rios in January of 2010, and I am looking forward to it..so thank you for the pictures. I would also like to say we as a family love to learn about other cultures and find many Jamacians very very friendly I am going to have no problem going to Ocho Rios at all...:D

Hi Kooljamming, I looked at your pictures of your family on vacation and like to say you have a good looking family, :p looks like you all had a good time.. I will be going to Ocho Rios in January of 2010, and I am looking forward to it..so thank you for the pictures. I would also like to say we as a family love to learn about other cultures and find many Jamacians very very friendly I am going to have no problem going to Ocho Rios at all...:D

You already have the attitude of someone I would love to show around my friendly Jamaica. Once you get a real glance of Jamaica, outside the surrounding of the port, one can't help but feel blessed. Mixed in with sheer beauty is heart breaking poverty but still echos of laughter. Bookmark this page if you need it for future reference. I might not the posting on CC after our cruise in August to Alaska.

Safe Travels and Much Blessings.

Yes, you are correct. There is another one closer to the pier. It's on the street between NCB bank and Burger King, on the other side of the street from Sunset Jamaica Grande. I vacationed quite a bit at SJG and would walk go to this one for patties. It took a while to remap Ocho Rios in my head:D

Great thanks for the information, now here is another question do they take Dollars or do I have to have Jamaican currency?

Great thanks for the information, now here is another question do they take Dollars or do I have to have Jamaican currency?

US dollars will be fine but the change will be in $JA. If you are going to really shop it's better to do it in JA$. There is a foreign exchange place 'camio' about 2 minutes from the main entrance of the SJG. For a day of shopping US$ will be much easier and you won't get stuck with many JA$ at the end of your trip. Remember to take small bills.

You already have the attitude of someone I would love to show around my friendly Jamaica. Once you get a real glance of Jamaica, outside the surrounding of the port, one can't help but feel blessed. Mixed in with sheer beauty is heart breaking poverty but still echos of laughter. Bookmark this page if you need it for future reference. I might not the posting on CC after our cruise in August to Alaska.

Safe Travels and Much Blessings.

That is so correct, I echo what Kooljamming is saying. It was my first experince of Jamaica and I will go back again and again. So pretty amazing stuff to do, we were lucky to find a driver on this board and so I used her. We texted her and she was very cool and gave us a trip of a lifetime. Will call her in a heartbeat. I have her info. if you need it.

I don't know if you like to cook, but while searching things on the internet, I came across a site that gives the recipe for beef patty's. jamaicatravelandculture.com-maybe you could cook some and enjoy!

Thanks for the site. It is easy to get them here in NYC already made, since we do have a large caribbean community. Easier to buy them, but to me the ones I had in Jamaica were the best I have ever had.

travelingguyone, yes I would like to have her info if you could pass it on please will be in jamacia the Week of April 19th, 2009!! I can't wait!!! My kids are crazy jelous that we are going to Jamacia!!! I want to really experience the island with a native that can give us a great tour of the real jamaica!!! thank you!:D

Archived