Port or Starboard?

I could be mistaken, but if I understood our TA correctly, the port side of a ship means that is the side of the ship facing the port. We have always booked port-side cabins, except the last two, since we discovered aft cabins, and have always faced the port.

We chose port side when we did that itinerary for the views of land as we came into the ports along the coast of France and Italy, during the first part of the cruise.

One advantage to starboard is coming into Venice, although you might want to be up on the top deck for the 360 degree views there.

I could be mistaken, but if I understood our TA correctly, the port side of a ship means that is the side of the ship facing the port. We have always booked port-side cabins, except the last two, since we discovered aft cabins, and have always faced the port.

This may have been true at one time, but it is no longer the case. Ships are much more maneuverable now. I've had both port and starboard cabins that have faced the port.

There may be a few advantages to one side over the other, for example Venice as mentioned above, but in terms of actual docking, I'd say it doesn't really matter that much.

I have been thinnking about some past cruises. And I would recommend port side for Mediterranean cruises. We faced the ports in all of our stops. We were on the starboard side for the Alaskan cruise and we faced the port once. I think on Caribbean cruises, the ships we were on docked straight into the ports and either side has fine views.

I live waking up in the morning, looking out the glass door and seeing a brand new place. The morning of seeing the Blue Mosque in Istanbul was my favorite. Suan M. is right about Venice, the best place to be is on the top deck were you can see everything.

Thanrks everyone... We have a large (195 SF) balcony...so I want to make the most of it!!!

Plan to have breakfast out there each morning and possibly meals some evenings... Dont want to make the wrong choice..if there is one!!

(and.. Port always means the LEFT side of the boat, when facing foreward.. Starboard is the right...Easiest way to remember is the LEFT and PORT both have 4 letters.)

Hi I may be wrong - but when folk used to sail out from UK to India or Australia etc they often said it was best to sail port out & starboard home becuase of the sun. Could be an urban myth or....;).

Certainly in Europe we have had cabins port & starboard & been very happy. Some ports you are anchored in the bay & the ship will move with the current so no advantage . Also some ports in Europe are quite industrial so ther is nothing to see.

jo

Hi I may be wrong - but when folk used to sail out from UK to India or Australia etc they often said it was best to sail port out & starboard home becuase of the sun. Could be an urban myth or....;).

Certainly in Europe we have had cabins port & starboard & been very happy. Some ports you are anchored in the bay & the ship will move with the current so no advantage . Also some ports in Europe are quite industrial so ther is nothing to see.

jo

Hi Jo & Mike

Going through the posts for our Canada/New England trip and I and saw your name - just wanted to say hi - Karen and I are still talking and reliving Italy. Drop us a line if you get the chance dianne200353@yahoo.com

Thanrks everyone... We have a large (195 SF) balcony...so I want to make the most of it!!!

Plan to have breakfast out there each morning and possibly meals some evenings... Dont want to make the wrong choice..if there is one!!

(and.. Port always means the LEFT side of the boat, when facing foreward.. Starboard is the right...Easiest way to remember is the LEFT and PORT both have 4 letters.)

Plans for breakfast can be tricky. Some port (facility) facing rooms have the good views and sometimes the best view is from the other side - Think cranes and container boxes in your face. I have personally given up on trying to be on the "right" side of the ship as when cruising one is usually out of sight of land anyway. (Notable exception Venice, port out starboard home will give the best view from the balcony when sailing down the Grand Canal.)

Yes, from the old days of the ocean liners it was always Port Out Starboard Home - hence the term POSH (First letters of above!). It was considered the better way to travel as it meant that you avoided the harsh heat and light of the sun in the late after noon. Your cabin stayed cooler and you were woken naturally by the rising sun.

Archived