A word of warning about posting pictures of children

tink24

I just wanted to share this experience so you can keep this in mind when posting pictures of your kids on cruise roll calls. When I sailed this December on DCL I joined the roll call. Members posted photos of their children and their names. While onboard I passed a family with an adorable little boy that I recognized from his photo. I said "Hi. You must be Ethan." The mother looked at me like I was insane. I quickly told her I recognized him from his photo online. Her husband gave her the look of death! Luckily I am just a harmless well meaning mother with a little one of my own, but I easily could have been a predator who uses info posted on the boards to build a rapor with his victims. I know everyone likes to share pictures of their children, but be careful when posting names or cabin locations, etc... Hope this helps someone.

I just wanted to share this experience so you can keep this in mind when posting pictures of your kids on cruise roll calls. When I sailed this December on DCL I joined the roll call. Members posted photos of their children and their names. While onboard I passed a family with an adorable little boy that I recognized from his photo. I said "Hi. You must be Ethan." The mother looked at me like I was insane. I quickly told her I recognized him from his photo online. Her husband gave her the look of death! Luckily I am just a harmless well meaning mother with a little one of my own, but I easily could have been a predator who uses info posted on the boards to build a rapor with his victims. I know everyone likes to share pictures of their children, but be careful when posting names or cabin locations, etc... Hope this helps someone.

Good advice.

That's good advice. I do have my kids in all of my posts. Never their names. And we have been "recognized" on ships. As a matter of fact, the last 2 cruises, people have come up to us because they recognized us.

In "Ethans" case, he was with his parents. He would never be without his parents, I would hope not (if he was young). :eek:

While I agree that could happen. Its unfortunate predators have easier access to kids via all the technology we have now. The "predator" could just as easily attend a meet and greet, meet the children and prey on them that way. My daughter won the past guest award onboard when she was 2 and we went up on the stage and she was known by everyone by name from then on that sailing. Cruisinmama said it best. Young kids should not be out of their parent's sight unless in kids club which is well monitored and older kids should be taught stranger safety.

Archived