I need advice on SHORE EXCURSIONS

susuyt

First time cruisers we are going on RC 12 western mediterranean Venice, I've been researching excursions listed by RC but don't know if I should be looking for smaller private ones. I don't know how to go about finding them. I have found one on cruise critic but can someone give me advice please on how to go about finding them. :confused:

First time cruisers we are going on RC 12 western mediterranean Venice, I've been researching excursions listed by RC but don't know if I should be looking for smaller private ones. I don't know how to go about finding them. I have found one on cruise critic but can someone give me advice please on how to go about finding them. :confused:

Hello,

You MUST do some research on each port. Get some travel books such as Rick Steves Europe, and contact the tourism offices of the countries you will be visiting.

Excursions sponsored by the ship has one huge advantage over private tours...you are guaranteed that the ship will not leave without you. And there are many very good ship sponsored excursions but you should have a good idea of what you want to see. Some excursions go to museums and others are walking tours, and some of the best provide transportation only to the middle of a city and you can go from there.

If you provide a list of the places you will visit, I and other posters can give you some ideas. And the following is for Venice...

Venice can be seen on your own as it is not very big and English is widely spoken. Buy a one -day (or two days if you are in Venice longer) pass for the vaporetto, which is a boat system that travels on Venice's canals. You can get on and off as much as you want and the Vaporettos go just about everywhere. If you can, take a vaporetto ride at night up the Guideca and Grand Canals and sit upfront and outside on the vaporetto. The views of Venice from a seat on the vaporetto are truly memorable.

On a more mundane note, there are two Mc Donalds in Venice.

And wherever you go and especially in Italy never ever hesitate to ask for help if you are lost. The Italians love to talk and like to help tourists.

A for The Cruise Critic Board, you ned to spend some time learning how to use it. Begin by going go to RCL or Royal Caribbean and see if a Meet and Mingle" group has been started for your ship/cruise. You scroll down to your ship and sailing date. Other CC sites are "Ask a Cruise Question and "First Time" cruise.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

When you enter the Cruise Critic website, you click on "Boards"; I assume you've done that, as you've posted a question.

There is a long list of boards, grouped into sections. One section is entitled "Ports of Call", with individual ports also listed, and one section is "Roll Calls--members only"; there you click on your cruise line, then your ship, and you'll find a list of individual cruises.

Good luck!

I think you already found the right place...you're the only person (so far) on that roll call...we're on the same cruise.

We are also first-timers (although traveling with friends who are more experienced).

I too have been researching private excursions v. the ship-sponsored ones. I have found several companies that do them, but am still looking through this forum for "reviews" of which ones are recommended. Clearly, since the biggest risk is not making it back in time, how reputable the company is would be the prime factor for me.

Our preference would be for private (assuming pricing is approximately the same) as I prefer the flexibility to control our own itinerary.

Fredr - the stops are: Villefranche, Livorno (Florence on a MONDAY of all things!!! what a waste), Rome (Citi. actually), Naple, Venice (the only overnight stop), Split and Corfu. Recommendations for any specific tour guides would most appreciated.

Completely aside: Does anyone know how "My Time Dining" (RCCL) works - I saw it mentioned for our cruise at one point and now can't find it again - nor can I find an explanation of what it is. Thanks.

Hi all,

I sailed to a couple of the ports you are going to in IOS last year, as a first time cruiser.

Villefranche is a small, but very pretty town and if like us you will be entering by tender ( the small boats which are used by big ships to access shallower waters) your boat will pull right into the quayside and you can simply stroll into town. Instead, we pre-booked a ship excursion to Nice and Cannes, both of which were very enjoyable and probably make for better visits than Monte Carlo.

I have visited Venice many times and if you are a first time visitor you are in for an amazing treat. As another poster suggested buy a vaporetto pass and you can cruise up and down the Grand Canal to your hearts content, hopping on and off as you please. I think from memory it costs about 18 euros for a one day pass, per person. You will probably be planning a gondola trip. Be warned; they are usually expensive for what you get. Often, the glass factories lay on water taxis free of charge from San Marco vaporetto stop. They're great, but quite honestly, assuming you only have 24 hrs or something I'm not sure a glass factory is the place to be in Venice. Or you could do what I do and use the free water taxi , then walk out the glass factory at the other side and spend an hour on Murano, which is pretty, but also pretty limited. Likewise, if you want the beach, then jump on the vaporetto to Lido...takes about 20 mins to get there from San Marco. But really, if I were you going there for the first time I'd just stroll around the alleys, over the bridges and round the gorgeous piazzas. St Marks Sq is impossibly crowded during the day, but in the evening you almost have the entire piazza to yourself.

Livorno is appx 90 mins drive from Florence. Quite possibly your cruise will lay on a combined trip to Pisa and Florence.

Like Venice, I've been to Naples before but never on a cruise. I have to say, Naples is not a favourite of mine. I'd even go so far as to say it's quite a dangerous city if you don't know where you're going. Your best bet there, time permitting, would be to do an organised excursion down the beautiful Amalfi coast or to take a ferry over to gorgeous Capri.

I think you've picked a very interesting cruise destination-wise and I hope you have a fabulous time :)

I think you already found the right place...you're the only person (so far) on that roll call...we're on the same cruise.

We are also first-timers (although traveling with friends who are more experienced).

I too have been researching private excursions v. the ship-sponsored ones. I have found several companies that do them, but am still looking through this forum for "reviews" of which ones are recommended. Clearly, since the biggest risk is not making it back in time, how reputable the company is would be the prime factor for me.

Our preference would be for private (assuming pricing is approximately the same) as I prefer the flexibility to control our own itinerary.

Fredr - the stops are: Villefranche, Livorno (Florence on a MONDAY of all things!!! what a waste), Rome (Citi. actually), Naple, Venice (the only overnight stop), Split and Corfu. Recommendations for any specific tour guides would most appreciated.

Florence will be very busy even on a monday, and take the train! Your best stop for shopping will be Split, no euros!

Archived