Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

and the info. And I have to admit - that is the best picture I have seen. We are watching the volcano since our ship leaves Seattle on June 10. I know there are other ships leaving earlier - I wish you all safe sailing.:)

Mount Redoubt seismicity increasing

by Channel 2 News staff

Sunday, May 3, 2009

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Seismic activity at Mount Redoubt has increased over the last 24 hours, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

The AVO reports on its Web site that activity "appears to be gaining intensity. Seismic activity has increased markedly in the last 24 hours, showing stronger volcanic tremor and more frequent rockfall events."

The alert level remains at orange. Clear views from AVO cameras show a steam plume rising to 18,000 feet above sea level. AVO also reports minor ash emissions.

Redoubt has not had an explosive eruption since April 4 when the volcano created an ash fall along the Kenai Peninsula. An eruption on March 28 forced the closure of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport for about 20 hours.

The first series of explosive events began March 22 when Redoubt ended months of anticipation with six powerful blasts.

Redbout doesn't appear to be dormant yet!!!

B

Where's Speedy when you need him?

I'm afraid you're dating yourself! My neighbor works for Bayer, maker of Alka Seltzer, I'll see if he can come up with a really big tablet. Or maybe someone can throw in some ginger root pills.

On the news last night and this morning the experts says that seimic activity has really increased and that another major eruptions is on its way, they just sure when.

Susan in Anchorage :)

On the news last night and this morning the experts says that seimic activity has really increased and that another major eruptions is on its way, they just sure when.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Susan - Hopefully, the Mt. doesn't blow and prevent me from getting into Anchorage and us having Happy Hour at S&S. :D

Karen

P.S. Will send you an e-mail with all my contact numbers this week.

Where's Speedy when you need him?

Jim - Didn't you used to live in Las Vegas or am I mistaken? When did you move to McKinney? I moved to Frisco, TX about a year ago and now moving again - this time CA.

Susan - Hopefully, the Mt. doesn't blow and prevent me from getting into Anchorage and us having Happy Hour at S&S. :D

Karen

P.S. Will send you an e-mail with all my contact numbers this week.

Karen,

Well since you all helped me with positive thoughts and fingers and toes crossed, I'll start doing it for you all.

Dang thing.......it better not mess with our S&S evening :eek:

Susan :)

Ok how many from Texas do we have on this post, I live in Bonham.:)

Since I have only lived in Texas for a year and don't drive much (I am directionally challenged) - where is Bonham?

Redoubt explosion looms as lava dome grows unstable

by Channel 2 News staff

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- As a lava dome in Mount Redoubt's crater continues to grow more and more unstable, another explosion becomes more likely.

Scientists at the Alaska Volcano Observatory say seismic activity decreased a bit Wednesday afternoon, but activity is still the highest it's been all week.

Volcanic tremors nearly doubled late Tuesday night.

The AVO reports small levels of ash and earthquakes near the summit.

Scientists say lava is building a large dome that is likely to collapse soon. It's being compared to the largest lava dome seen during Redoubt's 1989 eruption.

All traveling soon should keep watching....

B

I will be in anchorage for a start of a post cruise on may 23 and 24 in the moring. and wondering what if there is ash in Anchorage is it safe to be there. what do i need to do if this happens. would it affect train travel to Fairbanks. hopefully it does not blow when i'm there.

Thanks

Stephen.

We have never been to Alaska so I'm not familiar on this volcano eruption situation, we are sailing from Seattle to Alaska our ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan if the volcano were to erupt would that put a damper on our trip? We will be there last few days of May and the first week of June :confused: Thanks so much.

Im from The Colony Texas, right next door to Frisco, just North of Dallas

I sure hope Redoubt calms down by August when we go. Oh and AkSusan, you have been helpful to me many times on these boards...Im the one who gave you a hard time about not being a big seafood fan

Archived