rent or buy snorkel gear?

pazandak63

Family of 5 going to G. Cayman( cpt Marvin) as Cozumel, Roatan. First cruise. Plan beach days for all ports. Went shopping for snorkel gear and found it more expensive that I thought it would be. Salemen said that rental/excursion is unsanitary and does not fit well. Does not have one way water valve so you drink ocean water. He said we should buy 5 sets...of course. What are your experiences with this? None of us have snorkeled before and are not sure if we should own these. Our Kids are 18, 16, 11. Are flippers necessary? Husband and oldest son have size 12. Salesman said they dont cary this size so we would have to buy these flippers. Please help... Thanks, Karyn:o

I have to agree that the snorkels on many snorkeling trips I've been on don't appear sanitary. In Cancun years ago the crew simply dipped them into a fresh water bucket and put them away for the next group! Since that time I've owned my own gear. Have you checked K-mart or Walmart for inexpensive equipment? They usually have packages that are very reasonably priced.

At the very least, I'd say buy everyone an inexpensive snorkel. You also don't need to buy a dry snorkel (1-way water valve) as they are fairly expensive. A regular snorkel is fine as long as you remember to blow the water out when you surface from a dive. If you just lay on top of the water to look around and never dive down, you definitely don't need the more expensive one.

not sure how much you are looking to spend - or what the situation might be where you are at -- but at all of the dive shops around here offer to make up "package" deals -- you pick out the mask/snorkel/fins that you want and they cut a chunk off the price. When I got my set I actually ended up getting my snorkel and some of my mask for free!

But Hilary is right too -- if you haven't ever done any of this before and aren't sure you will want to after you try it -- just go to Kmart/Walmart and get one of the little sets they have - just make sure to test out the mask before you go to make sure it is going to fit your face correctly - and you should be fine!

Good Luck!

If I may offer a suggestion, we've been to Cancun four times, and after the first time we snorkeled, we LOVED it, so we went to WalMart and bought the mask and snorkel both for about 10 or 12 bucks. We didn't get the fins, but those are cheap too. Definitely worth the small amount of money so that you will always have 'em.

I will stop by Walmart today but other stores unless specific dive shops are not stocking them due to winter. (Minnesota) I even tried Smas club which was also suggested. I broused on Ebay...any thoughts there. Sure seem cheap.

Thanks for all the advise. Keep it coming.

Karyn

We recently purchased our snorkel gear at http://www.snorkel-mart.com We got the buddy package and it's a great package for low cost. I got the prescription lenses which are much cheaper than I found in dive stores. We got the order in a few days. Everything looks good and fits great (check their sizing charts before ordering).

We HATED rental gear. It never fit properly and was just kinda gross!! After going to various dive shops, I looked on-line for better prices. We couldn't find any local stores carrying snorkel gear this time of year.

I don't recommend buying masks over internet. It has to fit the shape of your face, and the only way to tell is to try it. You put the mask on your face without the strap, breath in, and see if it stays comfortably. Don't let the salesman talk you into an expensive snorkle. Blowing breath into snorkel clears water just fine. A $5-10 will do.

I don't know if it's feasable or not but, if you get in a day early, you might consider hitting some of the chain dive stores in your embarkation city.

I didn't like the idea of putting something on that a hundred other people had put in their mouth, spit into or possibly had some sort of foot fungus that I could bring home. So I started looking around. The dive shops in my midwestern hometown were a little expensive and didn't have much of a selection. The small dive shops in FL were pretty much the same. However, there are some large discount dive shops and we managed to find one of those. Everything was about 50% of what others were asking. Dry snorkels were $20 rather than $32, fins were $29 rather than $79, Masks were $20 to $40 rather than $80 and up. It still wasn't cheap but, I really like what we have. The dry snorkle saved us a couple of mouth fulls of sea water when a boat passing by caused a wake big enough to shut the valve on the snorkle. It was also nice to be able to dive down when I saw an interesting fish or object that I wanted a closer look at.

Our next purchase will be the snorkel vests. On our snorkel tour in the Bahama's, the vest they gave us smelled of mildew. I understood why when I saw them toss them into storage still wet from usage. It didn't make me feel real confident in their sanitation policy for any of their other equipement and I was glad I didn't put my mouth on any of their snorkels. Plus, my wife's vest didn't fit her well and kept riding up on her (no crotch strp). For the most part all she saw was the yellow vest riding up in front of her face everytime she let go.

Most of the equipment we've purchased at different times. One year it was masks and snorkels (the most important pieces for sanitation IMO). The next year fins and a carry bag. This coming year it will be the snorkel vests. By spreading it out it didn't cost us a small fortune all at once.

the first time I snorkled was in Hawaii.... bought a mask and fin set from walmart before I left and had a great time.... no lessons or tour or anything... We will be going to Nassau in January and was curious about what a SNORKLE VEST was???

And are there places on the Island that we can go snorkeling without being hearded around??? or most of the beach areas private?

I just posted a similar question on the NCL board. I've snorkled in the Carribean and Hawaii. In the Carribean we rented equipment from the ship we were on. The mask didn't fit right and the snorkle was not a purging one. While snorkeling, the water constantly leaked into my eyes, and I don't mean the little stuff that floats at the very bottom. And then a wave would come and in would come the water that way. So, there I was just a few feet above what I had been told was a very fragile reef so shouldn't stand up, water was coming in and covering up my eyes and water was also coming in through the snorkle. So, I ripped off the mask, swim to a deeper part and re-adjust. This would happen every ten minutes or so. Very frustrating.

In Hawaii we went to a dive shop and not only did I get a nice mask with prescription lenses. Also got a dry snorkle. But, fitting and renting for a family is not a quick thing and to do that at every stop will be a real pain. I don't have enough experience to give you advice but I know that a bad fitting mask and snorkle can be a real bummer and definately not good for a first experience.

We recently purchased our snorkel gear at www.snorkel-mart.com We got the buddy package and it's a great package for low cost. I got the prescription lenses which are much cheaper than I found in dive stores.
Cruisechik, thanks for the great site. I just ordered a combo set with prescription lenses. Great prices! I was going to buy them from the dive shop that just opened next to Bass Pro Shop in Ft Lauderdale. The dive shop wanted $29 for each prescription lense and the cheapest mask was $49.

For $104.45 at Snorkel-Mart.com not only did I get the mask with prescription lenses, snorkel, flippers, carrying bag but that includes shipping as well. Great deal, thanks again. :D

My DH and I are going to be snorkeling in GC and Belize and I'm planning on buying a snorkel and mask for both of us (don't like the idea of renting the gear...seems like it could be quite unsanitary!!). We both wear glasses/contacts but neither of us has ever snorkeled so I'm not sure if I want to invest the extra money on prescription masks not knowing if we'll enjoy it (I hope we do!!) My question is...can you wear glasses with the masks? What about contacts? I read a while back on a cc post that you shouldn't wear contacts when snorkeling but I wouldn't think that would be a problem as long as we had proper fitting masks?

I don't know who would post that contacts wouldn't work, I used to wear my contacts when snorkeling and scuba diving, never had any problem. The only reason I stopped is that I got a new Hydroptix mask that requires you to be nearsighted to use it. The worst that could happen is your mask could flood, but at that point you will probably close your eyes instinctively, and wouldn't lose your contacts anyway. If you wear contacts, I say wear them snorkeling, and just be aware that they are on and be careful.

As for glasses inside a mask, that probably wouldn't work. Even if you could get them to stay put somehow, the ear pieces would have to be folded up, and so would be in the way, and the glasses would probably not be the proper distance from your eyes, etc.

Keith

Keith - I wasn't thinking about the ear pieces on the glasses being in the way of the mask...obvious now that you mention it!! :rolleyes: Thanks for your input on the contacts - I think we'll go that route rather than buying prescription masks.

• 2 weeks later...

We own our own snorkels and masks, but have rented the fins on the cruise ship so we don't have to carry them in our luggage. Be sure your snorkels work before you get to the snorkel site - DH's snorkel wasn't working correctly and we didn't know until we were going into the water in Belize. Luckily the tourguide had an extra.

Melissa

• 3 weeks later...

Rent or Buy ?

What would someone expect pay to rent the equipment to snorkel (Mask, Fins, & snorkel) ?

Taking an eastern Caribbean cruise with a couple three ports where snorkeling is available (I'm sure all ports have) Just trying to figure out if it's better to rent those few times or buy a package for $50 or so.

Cruisechik, thanks for the great site. I just ordered a combo set with prescription lenses. Great prices! I was going to buy them from the dive shop that just opened next to Bass Pro Shop in Ft Lauderdale. The dive shop wanted $29 for each prescription lense and the cheapest mask was $49.

For $104.45 at Snorkel-Mart.com not only did I get the mask with prescription lenses, snorkel, flippers, carrying bag but that includes shipping as well. Great deal, thanks again. :D

You're welcome :) We just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Mariner and the snorkel gear we purchased was great stuff, especially the carry bag! We had everything we need in it (3 sets of gear, towels, cameras, bottled water, etc) and it was very comfortable for DH. It's a big bag! I highly recommend the prescription lenses for nearsighted people (especially at the on-line store price).

Have a great time snorkeling!!

Today I just bought a U.S. Divers snorkel set, including snorkel, fins, and mask for $30. It was marked $39.97 and the sales person told me anything in the store ending in .97 was on sale. When I went to check out it rang up as $39.97. I told the cashier how the sales person said it was on sale and she adjusted the price. This was purchased at Dick's sporting goods. We also got sea bands on sale and a mesh bag to hold everything. Good luck!

Gear last summer on Princess-arranged trip in Cozumel was grimy (of course the thousands of little jellyfish didn't seem to mind). Stuff on Princess Cay was great. So equipment varies a lot. Buy your own. Snorkelmart sells on Ebay, but has great prices even when you go direct.

Most new folks pull mask straps tight. Wrong - should just barely hold mask against face. If it doesn't seal with a slight inhale it will leak no matter how tight the strap. Add air if you go underwater to avoid face squeeze and a headache.

I just purchased a mask and dry snorkel, a prescription mask and dry snorkel from snorkeldirect.com and I love it. Recieved my order in 4 days....pretty cool! And decent prices...

Do you think the quality of the mask/snorkel is good? I am looking at the set for $28.99 a piece....looks like second cheapest one....which one did you order?

Our family, of six, has snorkeled on cruises, and the biggest hassle is lugging that stuff all over (you know how kids love to carry stuff).

My DW doesn't want to rent a snorkel mouthpiece because you don't know where that's been ... so we just have our own snorkels, and rent the masks, fins and vests, if necessary. Usually, if your mask doesn't work quite right, you can walk back to the beachside rental and get a better one.

Having said that, we all have our own snorkel stuff (for local lakes, swimming pools, bath tubs, and frequently lug some masks along, if the kids have a favorite). In Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Grand Cayman, we always rented from beachfront shops so we could go back and exchange stuff that didn't fit quite right.

Don't know much about snorkeling with specs, but I've always done it with contacts, with no problems.

So, bottom line, if you get good stuff, you have to lug it yourself ... and that can be a pain in the butt. So we generally just bring our snorks.

I just bought a snorkle,mask,fins and back pack to carry every thing in at Costco...the whole package was $40,even has a snorkle CD. They also had size 12 fins and kids size masks.

~Deb

I bought four of the same sets (bodyglove?) in different colours for the four of us. At Costco in Canada it was 54.00.

Archived