Family of 5...2 cabins?

mommaC82

At what age do (did) you feel comfortable reserving a 2nd cabin for your kids? And what type of cabin did you book (connecting or across the hall)?

The cruise line has a policy that for those under 18 you must have cabins close together. In my opinion you may want to get with 13 and older as you're not at home. It depends how much you can trust them and if they will be out of the rooms with you most of the time (if its just to sleep then I would go younger)

This is the first time I have booked my family in 2 cabins ....... I put my husband, myself and my DD8 in a balcony room and I put my DS14 and DS11 in an inside room (not connecting). I'm sure they will be fine. Last year we ran into people who were letting there kids ages 7-10 stay in an inside room. I guess it depends on the kids and how you feel about it, and if they are good at following rules:) How old are your kids?

Karen

We have a Balcony and have an inside room booked for the kids, the oldest is 18, but we would have done it a couple of years ago. We have agreed to swap rooms one night to let them enjoy the balcony.

At what age do (did) you feel comfortable reserving a 2nd cabin for your kids? And what type of cabin did you book (connecting or across the hall)?

A lot of people have different opinions. My take is - at what age would you leave them at home alone, because basically this is what you will be doing especially if they are across the hall. They can come and go and people in and you would not even know it. If it is adjoining you can leave the door ajar and hear them more readily. If they are able babysit and have had this kind of responsibility then you may be more comfortable. It is all what YOU are comfortable with. Just remember the the ship is basically a floating city and have all the goings on that a city would have including crime, etc. My children were 16 and 14 before we allowed it (across the hall - was cheaper), but then finances were also tight so it was either all in one room or no cruise. Good luck.

Well, we were thinking about taking the kids along next year. My kids would be 8, 4, and 2, which I think is WAY too young to be alone, so we were considering going on the Destiny again (assuming we like the ship) with them next year, and booking a balcony. But, I can't imagine 5 to a cabin either (we had 4 on the Victory in a balcony cabin and it was really crowded). I am just not sure what to do. Ideally, we would like to sail on the Pride, so there would be no airfare involved, but she only fits 4 to a stateroom. Dh and I talked about getting 2 connecting insides, and just leaving the adjoining door open at all times, but dh and I love having the balcony, and am not sure we really want to sail without one. And booking 2 adjoining balcony cabins just isn't an option, at all. Never thought having a 3rd child would make some aspects of life so difficult!

Momma c82

There is a ship with a balcony and inside priced cabin connecting if you want me to take a minute to find it for you that would be perfect!!

Karen

It would be perfect, in theory, but I already looked into that option. Unless I'm missing something, both the balcony and the inside that connect only hold 2 guests each :(

I too have 5 in my cabin and I am not comfortable at all with them staying in a separate room. They are all girls ages 12, 10, and 5. Besides that I can't afford 2 cabins!!!! Its all together on the ship or all together at home. We all stayed in one cabin on the Inspiration last August. It was tight, but doable. We had the 2 twins pushed together to make a king and a drop down bed over the head of the king bed and another drop down bed at the foot and then the little one slept on a roll out cot that was just her size. It was crowded compared to the one we had on a Disney cruise where they automatically put you in a balcony cabin that has plenty of room. My concern now is we are scheduled for a Sept. cruise on the Freedom and I have read on several threads they only allow 4 to a room. I have contacted my travel agent and he is waiting for a confirmation on this. Luckily we have friends traveling with us that only have 3 in their cabin so one of ours will tag along with them if necessary. We didn't mind staying in one cabin even as small as it was because we were only in there to shower and sleep. It would be nice if Carnival would make rooms to accomodate families without making the price so unaffordable. When traveling with a family of 5 you have to cut costs any way you can!!!!!

Archived