Time Changing

daveS007

Does the ship stay on the same time as the departing city? I can't imagine they change the time each time zone. Or do they?

Just don't want to be an hour off when in port and end up on youtube running the pier !

Thanks, Dave

All ships that I have been on change ship's time to coincide with the port time. For sea days, they might "cheat" a bit (e.g., on an ocean crossing with several days at sea in a row, the ship's time might switch a day early or a day late).

I have read that some ships do not change to the local time for Caribbean cruises. I suggest you post the specific cruise line.

Does the ship stay on the same time as the departing city? I can't imagine they change the time each time zone. Or do they?

Just don't want to be an hour off when in port and end up on youtube running the pier !

Thanks, Dave

I do not believe ships remain on the same time as the embarkation port. Time changes as you move into/out of time zones ... and the ship should let you know when to adjust your watch. On HAL, cabin stewards leave a little card at turndown indicating when ship time will move forward or back. Also, I beleive it's published in the daily activities/info sheet.

Best practice: if you are getting off at a port and you are unsure of shp time, ask the security people at the gangway.

Every ship I have ever been on changes time with the change in time zones, it will be posted in your daily guidesheet, be sure and pay attention to it.

always verify the time on board before you leave the ship as well. But it should be local time.

It depends on the cruiseline, the ship, and the captain. Of my cruises, most have stayed on the same time as the embarkation port, only a few changed to the different time zones of the ports. For example, on a western caribbean cruise on Voyager of the Seas we changed to the local time in each port. On an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the same ship with the same captain, the ship stayed on Miami time for the entire cruise.

If the ship does change, there will be a note in your daily activities schedule reminding you to change your clocks at a certain time.

If your ship remained on the embarcation port time, there would be some major challenges on a Trans-atlantic trip; worse on a Trans-Pacific trip(crossing the date line); and absolute chaos on a world cruise (off by an entire day).

Generally Carnival stays on home port time (no time changes in the Caribbean).

Charlie

Sorry, but some Carnival ships do change their clocks. Beware during months when the US is observing daylight savings time when sailing west from the eastern time zone into the central time zone to ports that do not observe daylight savings time. That would mean a 2 hour time difference.

It is my general feeling that on Carnival they don't usually worry about a 1 hour time difference between ship and port, but may change for a two hour difference.

I have cruised twice on Carnival when ships time did change.

Thanks, Dave

Ship time is set to the homeport. It normally stays on that time...and you need to keep your watch on ships time......

If, for any reason, there will be a time change, that announcment will be in the daily newspaper onboard and over the PA system. Otherwise, don't change the time.

Sorry, but some Carnival ships do change their clocks. Beware during months when the US is observing daylight savings time when sailing west from the eastern time zone into the central time zone to ports that do not observe daylight savings time. That would mean a 2 hour time difference.

It is my general feeling that on Carnival they don't usually worry about a 1 hour time difference between ship and port, but may change for a two hour difference.

I have cruised twice on Carnival when ships time did change.

Which is why I said "Generally" We've been on 5 Carnival Caribbean cruises in the last couple of years and none changed the time. All though I know that a few do... occasionally.

Charlie

Archived