Visiting Stockholm

Hallo now its time for me to get some help.

I have some questions about Stockholm. am in town from June 5 to 7 and our hotel is located in Hägersten/Vestertorp (Hotel Ibis)

1) I need to take the red line number 24 heading for Fruängen and get off at Västertorp.

But how often do this train go and and how much do it cost and is there a night service in the weekend????

A link to the transportation authority will be fine.

2) If there is no night service from stockholm inner city how much do a taxi to Västertorp cost.

3) Where is there many bars and clubs located, is it Södermalm or somewhere else.

Hello Danish Viking and welcome to Stockholm in June. I hope you found all the information about the Metro red line through the link. And that the train you should take is 14, not 24.

The night life in Stockholm is focused on two main areas. One on Östermalm, around Stureplan, and the other on Södermalm. Östermalm is the part of Stockholm where people have the highest incomes and the well established live. Söder used to be the poor working class area, but today it is almost as expensive to buy an apartment there as anywhere else. But still, you will find a very different atmosphere from Östermalm. In my mind Söder is more fun, but that may well be because it is where I live. I hope what I have said helps you to decide. Any further questions, I will try to answer.

Yes it was indeed line number 14.

Is the bars and clubs located near a T-Bana station ( maybe slussen) or somewhere else.

And is the night traffic on the T- Bana also running on June the 6th/7th ( your national holiday)

I also live on Södermalm. Metro stations are at both ends of the hot spots on Södermalm. Slussen is at one end and Medborgarplatsen is the stop on the other (you can easily walk between the two). The street with the most night life is Götgatan.

Skål

Al

Fully agree with what Al says, and since you will be using the red line Slussen is the station to get off. And then start moving south along Götgatan towards Medborgarplatsen.

There is nothing in the traffic information that indicates there would be any special changes because of June 6. The normal timetable for “Natt mot lördag, söndag och helgdag” will apply.

An idea to find out what is happening on Södermalm when you are here could be to go to our daily newspaper Dagens Nyheter. Every Thursday they have a “What’s On” section named “På Stan”. It is a little early yet to find what you want to do in June, but have a look before you leave for Sweden. Here is a link: http://www.pastan.nu/

Thanks for the help swedes.

BTW is any of you going to the Sweden-Denmark game at Råsunda?

We are a group of 8 persons who are taking the trip to Stockholm for the game and i also some of my friend are traveling up there.

Based on the Emerald Princess docking at Stadsgarden (July 7), would the HOHO sightseeing boats be within walking distance or is there a shuttle? I think our day will be full if we take the HOHO boat and visit Skansen.

Here is a link to the Ports of Stockholm site, http://www.stoports.com/, where all ships coming in to Stockholm are listed. On the opening page go to “More vessel calls”, then choose “cruise” and “expected” and you will have a list of expected cruise calls this summer. Abby Normal, I recommend you to have a look again just before leaving for your cruise on this site because it is not unusual that ships are moved from one dock to another, even at last minute. When I was to meet friends who were on a cruise the ship was moved when they were at sea, but because I was aware that this could happen I checked on Ports of Stockholm before I left to meet them. I don’t know how well the other site will be updated.

Grannycb, if your ship docks at Stadsgården you can catch the HoHo boat there. It has a stop very close to the place where your ship will be. But it is not frequent and the full tour takes one hour. I looked for their timetable but it has not been published yet, the boats will not start running until end of May. An alternative is to walk to Slussen (will probably take 20-30 minutes) and take the regular ferry from there to Djurgården where Skansen is located. This ferry runs more frequently, takes 10 minutes, and costs less than the HoHo boat. Here is a link to a map that may be helpful http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=12.

Archived