Tender question - Grand Cayman

FlyGirl22

We will be visiting Grand Cayman on Century next week. We have booked a non-cruiseline tour (Captain Marvin's) that requires us to check in at 8:30 am (9:00 am departure), at an office about 2 blocks from the tender dock.

Our itinerary says that we will be in Grand Cayman at 7:30 am. Is it hard to get on a tender that early? Will it be crowded? Would it help to get in line really early? :confused:

Also, some friends we're traveling with have an excursion booked through Celebrity, so they might be given some type of priority tender time, right? What are the chances that we could get in line with them?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the situation!!!

We were on the Century 3/14 and had an off boat excursion. Being our first cruise I was nervous with the tender situation. We got to the theatre at 7:30 and there were only a few people there. We were on the first tender, which took 3-4 minutes and were walking around Georgetown by 8. IMO the excursion people know the ships schedule and are a little flexible, we waited about 15 minutes for a group and then another 7 minutes while they used the port-o-potty!!! Bring lots of sunscreen!

we were also on the 3/14 Century cruise and had no problem tendering ashore. I went to the theater a bit before 7:30 just to see what, if anything we needed to do. There is usually a few staff there who kind of place you in a priority formation, but there were probably only about 35 people there when I got there. If someone had booked an excursion from Celebrity and had an early departure, they sent you do a different place to wait. Then the staff all were called via a walkie-talkie to see how many people were in each place to determine the need to give out tickets or prioritize according to departures of excursions.

There was a family that was waiting for an excursion they booked elsewhere and had to meet up at 8 a.m. at the port somewhere. The staff (as well as the rest of us) made sure they got on right away once we were docked. We had no problem boarding a tender a bit before 8 and getting on shore close to 8 a.m. We wanted to see the sights and head back to drop off goodies before our noon excursion.

So, based upon my experience, there wasn't a need for them to give out tickets or prioritize folks in order to make sure that everyone gets where they need to be right away. Of course, that could be very different if plenty of people booked early excursions. I would suggest that you head to the designated place for early tendering (it will be posted in your daily sheet and kind of outline how it will go) and then ask the staff who will be waiting to organize things. They were great answering the same question several times and explaining the process. Let them know you have an early departure and they will do what they can to guide you. Make sure you are ready to go when you get to the theater or wherever they send you as once the ship gets the okay to dock (or whatever they call it) they pretty much start the tendering to port.

Like the other poster said, bring plenty of sun block, and enjoy yourself! We really liked Grand Cayman. Make sure you get a bite (or two) of rum cake---much better on the island than the ones you bring home IMO (of course the ambiance of the island is so much more inviting than your kitchen table, but what are you going to do??? :D)

Also, twice I have been at Grand Cayman where the seas were too rough for the normal tender positioning and the ship went around the island to a completely different area in the lee of the waves. We all had to board jitneys to town (not free, as I recall). So I second the motion to make sure you don't have to pre-pay for an excursion you might not be able to take.

cruisestitch

Don't want to rain on your parade but there is always the off chance (small but it does happen) that seas are rough and you will have to bypass GC. Make sure you have a "No dock-no pay" agreement with your off ship tour director.

Yes, I know, we are keeping our fingers crossed for calm seas! We do have a "no dock" agreement in place...hope we won't need it!!!

Archived