Montreal - One night post-cruise

Mid May we will arrive Montreal and will only be able to spend one night with an early AM departure next day. Want to see a bit of the city but don't want a mad dash to airport at crack of dawn! Any hints/tips for getting affordable hotel with easy access to airport? Also, any tips re navigating airport (assume it's same old grind as in other Canadian airports where one goes thru endless check points)?

can't help with the airports....depends what you want to do.

we always stay at the springhill suites by marriott in Old Montreal....you can walk around the old port area..or walk a few blocks to get the subway and head towards the downtown area.

Other good places (with good locations) are the Fairmont Queen elizabeth, the Marriott Chateau Champlain (we used to stay there...like the SHS better..the rooms at the Chateau Champlain are kind of small..and they didn't do such a good job when they renovated! trust me!)

There is also a Sheraton, a Hilton and a Delta property...

getting around is easy on foot, or by the metro (subway) or cabs. The Gare Central railroad station is very interesting too...GREAT place for lunch..lots of 'fast food' type stands, but NOT like McDonalds! ANd there is a place with GREAT breads and pastries....

THere is a whole underground city as well. Don't try to do it all....we LOVE Montreal. THe Old Port section is very charming...VERY European....and lots of great places to eat....crepes and fondue, steaks, french (obvisouly) indian, polish, janapese......

hth

Mid May we will arrive Montreal and will only be able to spend one night with an early AM departure next day. Want to see a bit of the city but don't want a mad dash to airport at crack of dawn! Any hints/tips for getting affordable hotel with easy access to airport? Also, any tips re navigating airport (assume it's same old grind as in other Canadian airports where one goes thru endless check points)?

We are staying at the Best Western out by the airport. They have a shuttle going to the airport the next morning. We are on the Holland America Maasdam, and are hoping to get their tour and shuttle out to the airport post-cruise. We have never been there, so do not know anything about the airport.

We are staying at the Best Western out by the airport. They have a shuttle going to the airport the next morning. We are on the Holland America Maasdam, and are hoping to get their tour and shuttle out to the airport post-cruise. We have never been there, so do not know anything about the airport.

Seems a shame to me to stay way out at the airport. Montreal is a beautiful city especially in late spring and summer. Stay in town, walk around old Montreal, enjoy a great meal and head to the airport in the morning.

Priceline should have a few near the airport, The is aLoft, no restaurant, but you can go over to the Hilton for that. European type loft style hotel. Nothing much around the airport, but you can always catch a cab from the hotel to the Dorval shopping centre. They at least have a Scores that serves BBQ chicken and ribs, if you need a reasonable place to eat. Nothing to see in this part of town, it's entirely industrial.

Normal airport, three basic gate areas, US, Canada and International. Make sure you have plenty of time if it's US, since you have to go through US customs.

PS: Please note that I am a B&B owner in Montreal, and may have a conflict of interest.

Seems a shame to me to stay way out at the airport. Montreal is a beautiful city especially in late spring and summer. Stay in town, walk around old Montreal, enjoy a great meal and head to the airport in the morning.

Now I am having 2nd thoughts about staying by the airport. I have looked up hotels in town & have good prices on three. Could you tell me if they are in an okay part of town? They are Holiday Inn on Vigor Ave., Delta Montreal on Pr. Kennedy Ave., and Courtyard by Marriott on Sherbrooke Quest.

The Holiday Inn on Viger, I assume is the Chinatown Holiday Inn. Location is not bad, lots of Chinese restaurants and walking distance to download and old Montreal.

The Delta on President Kennedy is okay. The location is right in the main downtown airea and it's a quieter corner. Even though I am a Montreal, I have stayed there.

The Courtyard is right next to Loto Quebec, so it's back to the Delta on President Kennedy.

The Holiday Inn on Viger, I assume is the Chinatown Holiday Inn. Location is not bad, lots of Chinese restaurants and walking distance to download and old Montreal.

The Delta on President Kennedy is okay. The location is right in the main downtown airea and it's a quieter corner. Even though I am a Montreal, I have stayed there.

The Courtyard is right next to Loto Quebec, so it's back to the Delta on President Kennedy.

Thanks Ephraim. Now, our flight is at 9 in the AM, so would assume we would have to be there 2 hours before flight-time. How easy would it be to get a taxi to the airport at that time? And did I read somewhere that the taxis have a flat rate of $35 to the airport?

The fixed fare is currently CAD$38.00 according to the Montreal Taxi Bureau at http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/page/taxi_fr/media/documents/a_mtl_trudeau.pdf

That's currently about USD$31.00 but that changes all the time. You can get an approximate from Google by typing in CAD 38 in USD.

There should be no trouble getting a taxi at the time, especially to the airport. For the US they suggest being at least two hours ahead of time. Remember that you need to check in. Take your luggage with you and then go through US immigration and customs, then deposit your luggage. Then you need to go through CATSA screening for liquids and the usual hand luggage checks and then you can make your way to the gate. That's why you need to be there early. It takes about 30 minutes or so to get to the airport from downtown depending on traffic. So I would suggest that you leave at about 6H30 for an 9H00 flight. That should give you time after you get through customs and security to sit down and have a coffee. On the US side there is a Second Cup (where you will see the Canadians lined up) and a Starbucks (where you will see the Americans lined up). There is a Tim's in the main departure area of the airport if you want to drink a coffe on line before US customs.... or you want a nice croissant or muffin.

A few things you should be aware of... stores are only open limited hours on the weekend, unlike the US. Expect stores to be closed at the latest at 6PM, maybe earlier (the custom is often 5PM on Saturdays and 4PM on Sundays, but some stores have been extending to 6PM lately).

I can suggest a few restaurants depending on what you are looking for, price and selection wise and of course distance from where you are staying.

Ephraim, thank you so much for all the info. We have finally decided to cancel our reservations at the Best Western by the airport, and have reserved at the Hotel XIX Siecle , at 262 Saint Jacques West. What say you about this location? I am hoping it isn't too far from the cruise port and is really close to the Old Montreal section. I am about exhausted from all this planning. Sigh! :)

It's an excellent location in old Montreal. Right by the Centaur theatre.

There are a number of very nice restaurants in the area. My favourite is Gibby's in Place d'Youville. Probably the best steaks in town and a place that I strongly suggest you go very hungry. It's considered on the expensive side for Montrealers, but the steak and seafood are well worth the price. Reservation strongly suggested

Bonaparte, a well known French restaurant is quite close.

Toqué which is one of the world's most famous restaurants and one of the world's most expensive. Reservations are REQUIRED.

Aix Cuisine du Terroir is a French restaurant using local ingredients.

Casa de Mateo serves Mexican cuisine.

La Popessa is an italian restaurant chain.

L'Orignal (the Moose) has a lot of different meats on their menu.

Modavie is a wine and jazz bar that serves a lot of varied foot.

Ephraim, thank you so much for all the info. We have finally decided to cancel our reservations at the Best Western by the airport, and have reserved at the Hotel XIX Siecle , at 262 Saint Jacques West. What say you about this location? I am hoping it isn't too far from the cruise port and is really close to the Old Montreal section. I am about exhausted from all this planning. Sigh! :)

Yeah! and great choice. Sorry I got behind on checking the boards but am once again happy that someone else is saved from the dismal choice of staying out at the airport. Enjoy Old Montreal, there are lots of great choices for eating and you will have a fun time walking around the old port. Just make sure the hotel knows exactly what time you need a taxi for in the morning.

Bienvenu au Quebec!

Archived