Exchange Rate

Project_gal

Does anyone know what exchange rate Azamara uses for settling onboard accounts in currencies other than US$?

My rule has always been to settle in US$ and let my credit card company do the exchange because their fees are lower. I have also always assumed that they used the current market rate of exchange.

HOWEVER, recently RCCL/Azamara were selling pre-purchased onboard credit at US$1.49/£1 - MUCH better than the current exchange rate. We also recently purchased a bon voyage gift and were surprised [and, in the circumstance, delighted] that we were charged in pound sterling rather than US$ and at an incredible rate of US$1.69/£1.

If Azamara uses a rate fixed in advance for settling onboard accounts it would change everything!

Sue

If you have printed off your Xpress pass it confirms that if you opt for Azamara to do the conversion they perform it at wholesale exchange rates plus a 3% international currency conversion fee.

We have a Nationwide credit card which we only use abroad. No loading at all (at least till May after which they will pass on Visa's fee for non-Euro foreign transactions).

I've seen other posts about pre-buying on board credit and will have to check this out.

I've just rung Azamara and they are currently quoting £70 for $100. This is just below $1.43 per £ so is not worth doing as today's exchange rate is currently above $1.45.

Thanks, Clivep. Looks like, for once, we jumped in at the right time to purchase our onboard credit. Our FX timing is usually dreadful!

Thanks also for reading the small print for me. That is something I should have done and is exactly what I expected. It was just that I had been so surprised with the charge for our bon voyage gift.

We leave for Singapore in one week tomorrow and I am now going to forget about exchange rates and just get on with enjoying ourselves!

Sue

Have a wonderful trip, I take it you are on the repositioning cruise? I note that you are a fen tiger - I did my advanced flying training at Oakington in the late 60s, and some years later we subsequently lived just outside Huntingdon in Wyton and Houghton on the Ouse. Great pubs and great area. Bon voyage

Have a wonderful trip, I take it you are on the repositioning cruise? I note that you are a fen tiger - I did my advanced flying training at Oakington in the late 60s, and some years later we subsequently lived just outside Huntingdon in Wyton and Houghton on the Ouse. Great pubs and great area. Bon voyage

New Salt

Thanks - yes we are on the repositioning cruise. Just love the sea days!

Hardly any bases left in the area these days but it is still incredibly beautiful on a clear day. Like being on top of the world.

Sue

Archived