Avoid upgrade?

LSGDRG

I couldn't locate an answer to this question using the search feature. Is there a way to ensure that your cabin assignment won't be changed besides requesting no upgrade? I am concerned that I might book a specific cabin and then be relocated.

Make sure that your TA indicates no upgrade and then check in often to make sure that your cabin assignment hasn't changed.

Princess is very good about upgrading without checking with their guests. It's happened to us a couple of times. But, we were happy with the changes. If you are set in your choice, constant checking is your best defense.

Charlie

I have to agree here. Even though the booking is marked 'do not upgrade' you really should keep checking on your Princess personalizer to make sure they don't move you. Normally, if marked 'do not upgrade', things work out great, but there are those rare occasions where someone has received a surprise that they didn't want. Often times they can get their original stateroom reinstated, but I have read a few posts where it could not be done.

So, protecting your own booking by keeping an eye on it is the best way to assure you will end up in the stateroom you chose. Enjoy!

When I book I always pick my cabin number.What is different when you just get guarantee cabin do you get it that much cheeper? or do people pick guarantee just in case they upgrade?

With guarantees you actually pay the same price for the stateroom category you are booking a guarantee in as everyone else. In other words, if booking and assigned stateroom in category BD, the guarantee price for the BD would be identical to someone booking their stateroom number in a BD category, no price break.

What many do is to book a guarantee in the lowest (least expensive) category stateroom they are willing to accept, then hope that category sells out and they are upgraded to a better location complimentary.

Most upgrades are within the stateroom type you booked, inside to inside, balcony to balcony. Once in awhile someone gets a great upgrade like a balcony to mini suite. These don't happen all that often anymore, but they 'can' happen.

Now that we're down to less than 30 days I check Cruise Personalizer daily to be sure I haven't been moved. We marked our reservation "no upgrades", but at this late date I'm not taking any chances.

Now, i've got a dumb question related to this.

If we've purchased a guarantee, and have recieved our stateroom assignment already - is there a chance that this can change? We've got only a few more weeks until we cruise and i'm just curious.

Thanks!

-Pet

Now, i've got a dumb question related to this.

If we've purchased a guarantee, and have recieved our stateroom assignment already - is there a chance that this can change? We've got only a few more weeks until we cruise and i'm just curious.

Thanks!

-Pet

There is a 'chance', but normally, once a stateroom assignment has been handed out, that is where you will be in the end. But, you can always keep checking, you never know, occasionally it does happen.

We had guarantees two years running. On the first, Crown Princess 2007 the cabin was assigned two days before departure. For Golden Princess 2008 the cabin was assigned several months in advance. Both cabins were the ones assigned.

Steve

Has anyone booked a non-committed room category? What did you end up receiving? What I mean is, we booked a balcony room for the lowest possible price with the guarantee that it will be a balcony room, but with no guarantee as to which specific room. What are the odds of getting any upgrade from that lowest possible priced balcony room?

Has anyone booked a non-committed room category? What did you end up receiving? What I mean is, we booked a balcony room for the lowest possible price with the guarantee that it will be a balcony room, but with no guarantee as to which specific room. What are the odds of getting any upgrade from that lowest possible priced balcony room?

There is absolutely no telling whatsoever where you may end up. Just remember, that booking a guarantee, you are only guaranteed the category you booked or higher. Some actually do end up in the actual category they booked. But, normally, you receive a different category balcony cabin higher than what you originally booked. There are a lot of factors that come into play here, such as availability. Good Luck though! ;)

The odds are actually pretty good that you will get the category you booked, depending on the ship and when you're sailing. You should never book a cabin type you wouldn't be happy with as that's what you could get. Remember, most of the "upgrades," if there are any, are for the exact same cabin type, i.e., balcony, but in a different location. Most GTYs are not upgraded from, let's say, a balcony to a mini-suite but more likely from the very front of the ship to perhaps 1/3 of the way back or maybe towards the aft. Same cabin, different location. When that happens, people say, "Whoo hoo! I got upgraded." Sort of.

Archived