Mama Bear and Two Cubs/Icy Strait Point

SEPyle

I'm having a relaxing day off and pulled up my Alaska pics to check out my pics of Mt. Redoubt. I then looked at some others and found this album of Bears we saw on our Wildlife tour while in Hoonah this last August.

The neat part is they are in order and if you set the slide show on 1 sec instead of 3 sec; it's almost like a video! Just thought others might like to see what we love about this incredible place in Alaska!

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/Alaska2008SequencePics?feat=directlink

to get the pictures? The first ones looked like you were behind the bears then the last ones of the cubs had them walking toward you? Were you on a tour? The reason there are so many questions is I am hoping to see bears when we are there this June. Thanks in advance for the info.:)

We went on a wildlife search with Ora/Alaskan Raven Charters. We were traveling outside Hoonah on a logging road going over a little bridge. We looked down and there was the Mama Bear. Actually the picture I missed is the one that would have been an incredible one...you know like the fish that got away!:D The Mama Bear was staning there with a great big salmon perfectly hanging from her mouth. By the time I got my camara in position she was on her way back to feed it to the cubs, who later came out and thus the pictures. It's certainly something that you wouldn't want to do on your own. According to Ora, it was very important to be very diligent to make we were not in position for her to smell us. Let's put it this way: We were clicking away and he was watching very carefully to make sure she did not start up the embankment seperating us from a Mama protecting her cubs!

Are you going to on a ship that visits Icy Strait Point? If so, you will LOVE this stop...to me it's my favorite destination in all of Alaska!

Thank you so much SP. You brought a smile to my face.:) I only hope we're that lucky when we go in Sept. We are going out with Forget-Me-Knot-Tours though. Hopefully the bears will cooperate. Thanks again. I always enjoy your photos' date=' but these top the list.:D[/quote']

Once again, thanks for the kind words! I'm sure you'll have a great trip with Forget-Me-Not-Tours! Of course the bears do have to do their part, and let's hope it's a good bear day! I think I remember hearing that Chichagof Island where Hoonah/Icy Strait Point is located has a very high (or highest) concentration on bears...OK, I just did a google search and found a great site: http://www.visithoonah.com/index.html It states: "Chichagof Island has the largest Brown bear population in the world, approximately three per square mile!"

So there you have it...you have the best chance of seeing bears than anywhere else in the whole world! That is of course...if the bears coorperate!:D

Archived