Hey 11/15/04 Mercury Cruisers!!!

PeggySand

Can someone give all of us future Mexican Riviera cruisers an idea about how your cruise was??? My husband and I will be boarding one week from today, and we would like to know the price of the T-Pool pass, how was the cruise director and staff, the entertainment, and share some tips for the ports, please.........

Remember how excited you were one week before your cruise???? PLEASE share some "must see or do" tips about the ship or the ports.

Thanks, Peggy

Just got off the 11/15/04 Mercury Mexican Rivera. This was my first cruise and it was outstanding. My wife never wanted to cruise because all you do is eat. Well she was right and eat we did. The food was great, service exceptional and the whole experience a 9. The only problem was alot of the passengers and crew were sick with a virus. My grandaughter had a 104 temp. Our assistant waiter had to take two nights off.

We only took one Mercury tour and that was the snorkling in Manzanillo. The other times we took local transportation and got see an do the things we wanted to do. I learned to make sure the cabs were air conditioned though.

Oh by the way we got such a good deal on the Royal Suit over a year ago that we went for it. By the time of the cruise it had gone up over $2000. What a way to go. I miss my Butler Savio and his great service. Oh well.

Yikes, I hope most all the crew is over the "virus" by the time we sail this coming Monday!!!

How was the snorkling in Manzanillo?? Do you remember how much the 11-day pass was for the T-Pool??

I'm glad to hear you were happy with the food and the service on the Mercury. I know what you mean about the price increases....... our verandah cabin has gone up $600 per person since we booked. We were thinking of booking our next cruise while on board, but at the current prices, we may have to pass on that.

Peggy

The snorkling was great. I got a tip from a fellow passenger to take packages of wrapped crackers (the kind you get with a bowl of soup) and when you are in the fish area start squeezing the wrapper like a tube of tooth paste. All of a sudden I had a school of every color of fish. I just laid there and keep squeezing and enjoyed the show. Some of the other passengers said they didn't see that many fish.

As far as the T Pool it was free for me as I was in the RS. I think my daughter and son in law paid $50 but I could be wrong. It is one of the great experiences of cruising and well worth the $.

Our cruise director Drew left the ship and won't be back for a month. He was covering for another cruise director. The entertainment was top notch.

Thanks for your information about the T-Pool....... it does sound nice, and it's probably something we will try. The crackers are a great idea for snorkling. In May of 2003, we took some cheese from the morning buffet and the fish love that as well. I'm glad to hear that there might be some good snorkling on this itinerary. It's also good to hear some positive feedback on the entertainment. My excitement is growing by the minute!!!

Peggy

We sailed Mercury 10/13 of this year and last year in October as well. We love this ship and all that goes with it. We did the TPool once (you can pay daily or for the entire trip) and it is heaven. Different stations address different body parts. I had sore feet from a shore excursion and there is a spot that you can put your feet up against and it was wonderful. We did Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan and had an absolutely wonderful time (this was our second time with Randi). In PV we walked to Krystal Hotel and swam in their beautiful pool. The year before we went to Paradise Resort and we had the grandkids and they loved the pool and beach. We just walked around In Cabo and found CaboWabo's and had a Waborita. Really good although be careful standing up. The combination of the drink and the rocking of the land - it was a bit tricky walking. The staff and crew on Mercury are great - Dru was a wonderful CD. The shows were good too. Don't miss the Gala Buffet - the best I have ever seen. Have a great time. Wish we were sailing with you.

The T-pool sounds wonderful, and I'm sure that we will be using it. Morriscats, I cracked up when you referred to the "drink and the rocking of the land." Where do you find Cabowabo from the dock? I hope the current Cruise Director is good, because that can really add to the cruise experience. Maybe we will hear from someone who is on the Mercury now, if they want to spend the money to use the Internet. Also, where is the Paradise Resort in PV?? That sounds like something we would like.

Thanks for the information,

Peggy

You will get a map when you get off the ship - not too far to walk. It was so dreadfully hot the day we were there and it felt so good inside. Be prepared for very loud Sammy Hagar music as this is his bar. Paradise Resort is through the shore excursion desk - 1/2 day tour. Wear your swimsuit under your clothes as there are only bathrooms and hard to change in the stall. We took the morning and were almost ready to stay and take a cab back to the ship. The pool is amazing, a giant spa, and the beach right there. Krystal is nice too with a swim up bar and restaurant. Watch the internet - very costly and everytime I would type out a letter to send to all our family and friends, the computer would freeze and nothing would happen. Did that twice at the cost of over $14.00 and nothing went! Frustrating. I hear they have internet cafe's in the ports - maybe that would be better. Have a great time.

When I awoke in Puerto Vallarta I looked out my veranda and saw a building next to the ship that said "CALL USA 50 CENTS MIN". I walked over to this building (small mexican mall) and found a small business with 5 or 6 laptops connected to the internet. The owner said I could call anywhere (don't know if that is anywhere in the world or the USA) for $5 for 10 minutes. He handed me a cell phone and I called the office and my elderly mother in law. I guess I talked for two extra minutes but he did not charge me.

That sure beats the $8 a minute my wife paid when she called from the ship and wished her mother a happy Thanksgiving.

Archived