Recommendations for excursions in Sitka

happiestwhenshopping

My husband and I are cruising to Alaska for the first time in June. I've already booked a helicopter/dog sled excursion in Juneau and a float plane excursion to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan but I'm not sure what to do in Sitka. The cruise line offers a combination 30 minute boat ride and ATV excursion through the rainforest for around $250 pp but I'm not sure if that's worth it. Has anyone taken a tour like this in Sitka and was it worth it for you? If not, can you recommend any other good excursions for this port? We will be in port from 11am- 7pm. We are both young and active and enjoy doing things off the boat. The only thing I'm not interested in is fishing. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

We did the Rhino 4X4 tour in Sitka in Sept. of 2006 (thru HAL), don't know if this is the same excursion you are talking about???? Well, if it is, you are in for a treat!! It was THE best excursion and we'd do it again in a heartbeat! A small 6 passenger boat takes you over to this island - all along the way we saw eagles and sea otters (so cute!). When you get to the island, you board your 2 person Rhino 4X4 (kinda like a souped up golf cart - only MUCH more fun! Try to get the last cart in line - we did, and loved it! Hung back a bit, then gunned it thru the puddles - a hoot!). You ride thru all kinds of terrain and landscapes - estuaries, meadows, rainforest, over creeks and streams filled with hungry salmon, etc. out to a black sand beach. You wear helmets with microphones in them so you can hear the guide in the first cart tell you what you're passing thru. We even saw the resident seal on one of the waterways, hunting down his prey. It was so much fun that we recommended it to our traveling companions on our 2008 cruise - they loved it too! IF its the same one, and you think you'd enjoy what I've described, go for it. Yes, its expensive, but worth every penny! Bumpy and wild, not for the feint of heart - expect to bounce around. But the ride of a lifetime in magnificent scenery - can't beat it! Enjoy!:D

We did the same Rhino 4X4 tour in August of 2008--on our 25th wedding anniversary. It was pouring down rain--actually it was pouring rain sideways--so we didn't see any wildlife. However, we had an absolute blast! The puddles were full of water, and we had water flying over the top of our Rhino. You each get a chance to drive, and I had a hard time relinquishing the steering wheel to my husband.

If you're adventureous, I would highly recommend it. Afterwards, we asked the van driver if he could drop us at the raptor center, and he said no problem. We saw the eagles and other birds, walked through the totem pole park, and ate ice cream--all in the pouring rain.

We love Sitka--you'll have a blast.

Sheri

Archived