PBS Nova Extreme Ice - Columbia Glacier

mountainhouse

Frank,

Thanks SO much for posting the link! Don't you just love the internet? VERY interesting info and amazing photography. The time-lapse sequences truly bring home the changes we hear so much about. Looks like this might be a good year for the Columbia Glacier Cruise shore excursion...

Becca

I've not been there (yet) but according to BudgetQueen and other posters here you DON'T get very close to the glacier itself because of the massive icebergs etc. in the water.

I watched this on tv and it was great!! now it has me all enthused about trying to see Columbia glacier. We are doing B2B Carnival Spirit July 8-15 going from Vancouver to Whittier then turning around from July 15to 22 on the Spirit again. Since there is absolutely nothing to actually see in Whittier, we are looking for something to do in Whittier. We were thinking about just staying around ship and reboarding as soon as we can but now thinking about doing something, ie a boat cruise. We already have Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier booked, so if we took boat out of Whittier are we being redundant? We thought if we could take a flightplane from Whittier to Columbia, we'd be willing to spring for that expense to land on Columbia, experts, what are your thoughts?:confused:

Would sure appreciate you posting any tips when you return. :D

Tnx!

I think we will be doing the Kenai Fjords trip (which showed up on the Pacific Princess Shore Ex page today, BTW) instead of Columbia Glacier this time -- unfortunately, budget doesn't allow both. But I will be sure and report back all the same.

Becca

No, you don't get close to the face of the Glacier at all (at least we did not last year)...but it is VERY cool to cruise among the enormous icebergs in a small boat...the colors and shapes are amazing, and it is completely unlike anything else we saw on our cruise. Lots of great wildlife watching opportunities on this excursion as well.

Thanks for posting the video link!

Archived