Juneau excursion for nature photography

mscg2000

Does anyone know about this excursion in Juneau: Photo Safari By Land and Sea? My DH is really into nature photography and it might be a good opportunity for him IF it's worth it! Have you been on it? Are those involved truly into nature photography?

Here is a link for the site that does the Photo Safari. There was no doubt in my mind that I would take it.

http://www.stepintoalaska.com/tour_independent_details.cfm?tourid=photosafari

If you send them an email I am sure they would send you an answer with your specific questions answered. They have been great with that!! Click the CONTACT US at the top. Good luck. I am really looking forward to it.

We did not take that tour but one lady with us on the whale watching tour had been in the process of booking it when her SISTER snagged the last available seat. The SISTER had a FABULOUS time, could not stop raving about how great it was. I'm surprised the SISTER didn't get thrown overboard :)

• 1 month later...

Hi I am also into nature photography and did alot of searching to see if this was truly going to be a photography tour, it really does seem like it enough to convince me to book 2 seats for June 8, we'll be traveling on the radiance of the seas. I hear that the guide is very attentive and well informed and that they give you a DVD with all the tips provided along with some other photo tips for nature photography. I also read that this tour not only serves as a great photo excursion but that it also works as a whale watching tour so no need to spend that cash on the 2.

My only question now is which lens for my nikon :rolleyes:...hmmm the 18-200 VR f4-5.6 for the one lens convinience or rent a 70-200 VR f2.8 just for the shots ???

Hope this helped !:D

I would say for "experienced" photographers, ALL of Alaska is a photo opportunity. For me, this would be a restrictive tour. :) It does get plenty of raves. All depends what you want to do???

It is also simple to just get out on your own, whale watch, which some seem to include. Then a drop off/pick up at Mendenhall. Plenty of photographic potential.

I am looking forward to some direction in an exciting "want it all" kind of vacation. I can take pictures, I can take photographs, I can also get carried away and take many and only few are worth keeping. I hope by having a tour guide, who is also a "photo guide", that his direction will keep me on track and turn more of my attempts to photographs that i will treasure and share. I will have 10 days on my own to snap away, and only 4 hours with a pro. I don't think that will be limiting.

Budget Quenn, I agree that all of Alaska is a photo opertunity. This tour will help you decide what f stop to use and how to frame,etc. With so much rain along the coast, I am hoping that they will help you get good photos in not so great conditions. This is one of the few ship excursions that I have heard nothing but good reviews for.

I went on this excursion several years ago and really loved it. So much, that I am signed up for it again this year. Our guide was knowledgeable and shared a lot of tips that were very helpful. I got beautiful pix at Mendenhall despite it being a cloudy, drizzly days.

I found that my camera had a delayed shutter delay that made it difficult to get good picture of whales. After a while, I stopped trying and just enjoyed watching. We saw some other sights on the water portion that were great photo ops.

Loved this excursion. I don't think it matters if you are an experienced or novice photographer... or somewhere in between. It was fun!

Archived