Euros accepted in Tahiti ?

h & m

Hoping to get help from anyone recently back from Tahiti. Do they now accept Euros as easily as US dollars.

Last year we were told they will be changing from the local currency to Euros, but on one could tell us when.

We know we can pay in US dollars there, but right now the exchange rate Aussie dollars to US is not very good for us.

I'm trying to avoid getting a small amount of local currency just for a couple of days.

Thanks

Hilary

According to my Jan Prince book, they have been accepting Euros since 1999. I didn't see anyone using them, but wasn't really paying attention. since I'm a Yank, I do know that USD is widely accepted and woudl imagine the same for Euros. If not, you can always exchange in Papeete while you're there.

This is probably a question to direct to Meherio.

According to my Jan Prince book, they have been accepting Euros since 1999. I didn't see anyone using them, but wasn't really paying attention. since I'm a Yank, I do know that USD is widely accepted and woudl imagine the same for Euros. If not, you can always exchange in Papeete while you're there.

This is probably a question to direct to Meherio.

Thanks Charlie - will take Euros and hope for the best

Hilary

ia orana

The Pacific franc is indeed tied up to the Euro. You are already ahead of the game there. the exchange rate is fixed at 119.33 ( don't ask me why not 120).

I would still exchange in to the local currency in order to get the exact value for your money ( not an approximative exchange) and also to be able to use for a limited time now this colorful currency that will be eventually replaced by a bland Euro.

Be a traveller and not a tourist is my favorite moto.

Bon voyage

meherio

• 1 month later...
Hoping to get help from anyone recently back from Tahiti. Do they now accept Euros as easily as US dollars.

Last year we were told they will be changing from the local currency to Euros, but on one could tell us when.

We know we can pay in US dollars there, but right now the exchange rate Aussie dollars to US is not very good for us.

I'm trying to avoid getting a small amount of local currency just for a couple of days.

Thanks

Hilary

I was pleased that I took Pacific Franc cash, which I purchased in Australia. I ended up acting as banker for a number of people on our cruise on one of the Tahitian islands, because the post office/bank (?) was closed at the time.

I agree it is better to be a traveller, not a tourist.

Archived