Exercise caution when renting Jet Skis in Mahauhal

GSRDPM

This is pasted from my IOS review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18766197#post18766197

We left the ship after lunch and by the time we entered the port, the large pool had a definite “Spring Break” feel. There were tall drinks being carried through the pool by people obviously enjoying themselves. The pool bar had a line of young ladies dancing on it. Wit the four kids, we quickly decided to leave and took the $3PP van ride to Mahauhal. When we arrived there, we were immediately approached by different establishments inviting us to set up on their area of beach. I was not put off by this, but we wanted to walk up and down the beach path a little to choose were we wanted to be. The people were a little aggressive and we eventually gave in to a fellow who was able to set us up in an area were Mom would have some shade to sit in. A Jet ski area was nearby and we decided to rent a couple ($40 per 30 minutes and $70 for an hour). My brother in law decided to each rent one for an hour and return to the beach half way to switch off the kids. After signing a waiver (more on this later) and handing over our $70 each and required seapasses, we were given life jackets and a quick introduction on controlling the waverunners (start,stop,turn, on and off). We were told that we needed to leave ASAP as they had other appointments and we hopped onboard and followed one of the staff out to open water past the reef. We were told we needed to stay in the deeper “black” water. After 30 minutes he would come out to retrieve the 30 minute rentals and we followed to switch the kids. The skis were a blast, though some seemed to stall frequently. At one point, we were met by the staff person who said it was time to go in and by our watches we were only out there about 45 minutes. We protested and he said he would give us another 5 minutes.

Here’s were trouble began. When we were signaled to return, my brother in law did not join us. We ended up finding them in the water. During a turn he and his wife had capsized and when they fell off they were unable to right the waverunner. They waited for help to arrive, but by the time we got to them, their waverunner had partially sank. We took my brother in law on our ski and his wife was put onto the tow boat that was sent out to retrieve the jet ski. When we returned to the beach, by brother in law was informed by the manager that he was liable for any damage done to the jet ski as was noted in the paperwork we signed. When we reviewed the paperwork ABSOLUTELY nothing was mentioned about damage to the jet skis – only that the renters were stating that they were not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and that they would not hold the company liable for any personal injury the renters might sustain while using the jet skis. We asked him to show us where it stated in the paperwork where we were responsible. He did not look at it and only insisted according to the contract renters are responsible as they do not have insurance on the equipment, only insurance to cover injuries to the renters (exactly the opposite from what was written). In the end he complained that he would be losing the use of the jet ski until it were fixed and that the damage was my brother in law’s fault because he did not immediately right the jet ski when it had capsized. He continued that it even though we were never informed of this, it was OUR responsibility to know this. In the end he stated that he needed to be paied $100 cash. In the end we chose to pay the $100 in order to get the sea passes back and avoid the risk of missing the ship to spend a not as pleasant stay in a Mexican jail or who knows where else. Some other IOS cruisers were waiting renting while this was going on and we expressed our dissatisfaction to them. The rented anyway. When we saw them back on the ship, they told us that they rented several waverunners for an hour and were bought back to the beach in bout 45 minutes. They complained, but did not get anywhere either. BEWARE of renting from OLINCA Watersports!!!!

The ride back to the port was $2 PP but we had to share it with a couple of college spring breakers who could only speak in derivatives of various four letter words and lacked the motor control to reach into their pockets to retrieve their wallets. They also claimed to have lost their sea passes. (Teaching moment to kids.) While the jet skis were fun, Costa Maya was clearly our least favorite port.

I understand, but:

1. We were told specifically that the documents we signed indicated that we were aggreeing that we were responsible for any damage to the jet skis and they mentioned absolutely nothing of that.

2. They never mentioned that we needed to immediately "turn over" the jet skis if they were to capsize yet we were told after the incident that it was our responsibility to know that if we did not, they would sink.

3. When we first indicated our desire to rent, we were told we would have to wait until 1PM - About 20 minutes away. We were diassapointed that we had to wait as it appeared as though some appeared to be available. As our family was getting settled, the manager returned to us only about 5 minutes later and said we had to leave NOW and that if we did not leave right away he would not be able to rent to us. We had already paid, but now he handed us the paperwork and told us we had to sign. I started to scan it (it seemed straightforward - being in good physical condition, not being under the influence of drugs, etc...), but he interupped me and insisted that I quickly sign as he needed to get us out immediately as he had other reservations now and wanted us back by a certain time. If we didn't sign and get on the skis immediately he would not rent to us.

4. When we were going back to shore with three of us on one ski and the staff person and my brother-in-law's wife on another, the ski driven by the staff person stalled and would not start. When the tow boat pulled along side us, the staff person had by brother in law's wife get in the boat. At that point we did not know that that boat was sent to help them (It is actually seemed to be set up for scuba). Once she was on board the boat took off away from the shore with her aboard. We eventually could see that it was heading towards the doomed jet ski, but later on, she told us that she did not know where it was going and the driver of the boat would not talk to her (It actually crossed her mind that she might be being kidnapped.) She relaxed when she, too, saw that the boat was getting the ski.

5. The manager was totally preoccupied with making money and not at all with customer service or satisfaction. We were rushed out (and again back in) so that we would be back for his next rentals. The family after us was hesitating to rent as they were seeing our difficulties and were uncomfortable with handing over their sea passes. He used the same message with them - you need to go now as I have other rentals scheduled. (As I mentioned in my initial post - they paid for an hour and were brought back in 45 minutes). Finally his justification for for the $100 charge varied from "You are responsible for any damage to the Jet skis as it says in the paperwork" to "Look, now I cannot use that Jet Ski -I am going to be out of a lot of money." I understand, but that is what insurance is for or it is a cost of doing business.

Your point that I would be responsible for damage to crashing a rental car is comparing apples to oranges - or perhaps oranges to tangerines:

When renting a car, the documents STATE CLEARLY the liability and that if you decline their CDW, then you could be held personally responsible for any damages not covered by any insurance that you might otherwise have. NOT the case here and the manager CLEARLY misrepresented what HIS document stated.

My warning is that renters should be aware of how these people are doing business. If they feel comfortable with the risk, then have fun - I DID! I had a ball. When we were going back in I told the staff guy so. He replied. "Then don't forget about my tip." Sorry, he can get it from the manager...

Hopefully, the reader that reads this post will at least know that if their jet ski flips over that they need to right it immediately - I would have been nice if we knew this.

Thanks for the warning! I agree with you, if its not on the document you signed, and they could not or would not point that out to you then you should not be held responsible. Thats a shame because I loved Costa Maya in 2007, we will be back in May and I will be sure to stay away from this company!

Thanks for the warning! I agree with you, if its not on the document you signed, and they could not or would not point that out to you then you should not be held responsible. Thats a shame because I loved Costa Maya in 2007, we will be back in May and I will be sure to stay away from this company!

Did you rent jet skis in 2007? Just wondered if you had a better experience.

Archived