Blue Horizon vs. Westin Grand in Vancouver

katt

We have decided to stay in either the Blue Horizon or Westin Grand. From reading everything here I am thinking either would be fine. Our friends will be in Vancouver for 3 nights before the cruise and we will be there for one. They are looking to explore the city using public transportation. Is one more centrally located than the other?

I thought I read somewhere then could not find it again that the rooms in the Westin Grand tend toward the small size and the Blue Horizon tend to be a bit larger. Does anyone know?

Thank you for your help

It is pretty hard to compare the Westin brand with the no-name brand and that is not to say that the Blue Horizon is bad...in fact it is very good but it is not a Westin. The BH is centrally located on Robson close to lots of restaurants and shops. The Grand is located some 8 or so blocks to the east and arguably just a bit out of the mix of things. Yes the rooms in the Grand are just a tad on the small size. However, if it were me I think I would choose the Grand if the price was close.

We've stayed at The Grand a few times. It has small rooms, but that is because most are divided into suites, so the living room and bedroom are separate. It's a tight squeeze in the living room with the sofa bed out, but it's still a good solution for 2 or more people. They have little kitchenettes as well, so they work well for families that might need a fridge or microwave. The bathrooms are beautiful, with doors to access from both the bedroom and the hallway.

It IS slightly away from the main shopping part of Robson, but it's only a 10 minute walk at most.

Viv

We've stayed at The Grand a few times. It has small rooms, but that is because most are divided into suites, so the living room and bedroom are separate. It's a tight squeeze in the living room with the sofa bed out, but it's still a good solution for 2 or more people. They have little kitchenettes as well, so they work well for families that might need a fridge or microwave. The bathrooms are beautiful, with doors to access from both the bedroom and the hallway.

Viv

Viv, Thats been our experience as well, I am just not sure that the hotel is all mini-suites and that was why I didn't mention it. The rooms just strike as "New York" sized rooms.

Thank you for all of the information. I am the researcher in the group and now can present what I have found to the other couple going with us.

If you're interested in staying at the Westin Grand....We bid on a 4* Downtown Vancouver Hotel on Priceline for May 19 and won it for $100. We're staying there for three nights before our Alaska cruise.

A positive point for the Blue Horizon is the large balconies and terrific views. My friend visits at least 3 times a year and ALWAYS stays at the Blue Horizon - she raves about the huge rooms and great staff. I live in Vancouver, so never actually stayed at either one, but the Blue Horizon is definitely a little more central than the Grand.

Archived