Curious..dining assignment-Radiance of the Seas (Alaska)

slyster

Crazy question, but this is the place to ask . We booked an Alaska Cruise on Radiance of the Seas. It's in August 2005. We were told by our RC agent that they only have late seating available for dining. When I asked about the other dates in August, same thing...only late seating.

Now, I know that two of the ports, we don't depart until 8 or 9 pm. Is that the reason why? I can't understand why, with the cruise being 8 months away, they don't have main seating available.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I probably would prefer late seating in this case anyway since we don't come back until 8 or 9pm when we are in two ports, but I guess I'm just very curious. Thanks in advance!

I would say that one reason is people prefer main seating, and have already asked for it prior to your booking. It may also be that there are groups travelling together who had taken early seating.

If I were going to do an Alaskan cruise again (we did the Radiance in 7/02) I would also request early seating, even though I MUCH prefer late on Caribbean cruises. On the Radiance, we were later finishing--usually 10:30 or so, and the shows are after dinner. Given that we're from the east coast, with a four hour time difference, we rarely made any shows, and often went to bed stuffed.

I guess I find it hard to imagine that here we are 8 months out and every cruise in August for Radiance of the Seas only has late seating. Don't you find that odd? Plus we are going the last week of August and I know a lot of kids (at least here in MD) are back in school that week. I could be wrong though.

Anyone else know anything? I guess I could "get over it" and move on, but I have experienced that before on any cruise I have been on. I could understand if it were a few months away and one dining time was booked, but 8 months away? Sorry if I'm being a bit obessive. It just has me thinking, that's all. Thanks!

I went ot alaska on the Radiance this past June and I was so happy that we were placed at the later seating. The wondeful thing about alaska is the excursions and the fact that you are in Port for so long you have the opportunity to do so much and really explore. We wouldn't have been able to do half the stuff we did if we didn't have the later seating. When you come back from your excursion, you want to shower, rest, etc... with the earlier seating you have to rush your butt off to do all this especially if you have excursions and tours booked. It reallys allows you more time and if you are hungry when you come back on board, just go to the Seaview Cafe which isa diner restuarant and grab a light snack- they have everything, before going for supper. Really, it is not bad at all and I will always chose the later seating from now on.

I find it funny though that there were no early seatings at all available for 2005- we booked 3 months before and there wee plenty available.

LATE SEATING ALL THE WAY!

Thanks for your replies...yeah, I thought it was interesting. I have booked 6 months to a year and even 2 months away and always got early seating. I believe we will stick with late seating, but I just found it extremely odd that none of the Radiance of the Seas sailings to Alaska next August 2005 have early (main) seating.

Thanks again!

Archived