My Review of Carnival Glory 3/14/09-3/21/09 Eastern Route

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I like the way you broke it up....made us want more :) I took this same cruise April, 2008 and I loved it so much I'm taking it again in May. Doing the Western this time as I went to Costa Maya on my honeymoon years ago and I'm curious to see how it is now since the Hurricanes. Costa Maya is my favorite port so far as it forces me to relax as I always try to do too much and am worn out. I lost one of my best friends to cancer this year and she's been on every cruise we've been on so it will be hard to cruise without her. But another friend and I are gonna go and raise a drink of the day to her in Heaven....she'd want it that way. Again, thanks for the nice report!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I like the way you broke it up....made us want more :) I took this same cruise April, 2008 and I loved it so much I'm taking it again in May. Doing the Western this time as I went to Costa Maya on my honeymoon years ago and I'm curious to see how it is now since the Hurricanes. Costa Maya is my favorite port so far as it forces me to relax as I always try to do too much and am worn out. I lost one of my best friends to cancer this year and she's been on every cruise we've been on so it will be hard to cruise without her. But another friend and I are gonna go and raise a drink of the day to her in Heaven....she'd want it that way. Again, thanks for the nice report!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Be sure to let us know what you thought of Costa Maya. We went there on our first cruise with RCI, but that was pre-hurricane. We did a great tour that was offered with the ship where we went through the jungle and ended up at a very secluded beach. It was lovely. I hope your cruise is great!

Teacher2cruiser,

Thanks for such a detailed review.

My family of nine - ages 65 down to 5 - will be sailing on the Glory on July 4. With the exception of my sister and BIL none have cruised before.

My main question is how dressed up do people get on the two formal nights? They do not plan to bring formal wear. Would slacks, long-sleeved shirt and jacket be okay for the men? Do they have to bring a tie or would they be out of place without one? It's easier for the women for sure.

How casual is the dress on the other five nights?

Thanks for your help.

Teacher2cruiser,

My family of nine - ages 65 down to 5 - will be sailing on the Glory on July 4. With the exception of my sister and BIL none have cruised before.

My main question is how dressed up do people get on the two formal nights? They do not plan to bring formal wear. Would slacks, long-sleeved shirt and jacket be okay for the men? Do they have to bring a tie or would they be out of place without one? It's easier for the women for sure.

Thanks for your help.

In my previous CCL experience, you will find a wide range of dress on formal nights, from "business" attire (without ties on men) to full evening gowns. Same goes for the other nights - some people show up in jeans and tennis shoes, others wear a summer dress. So your group will be fine with their planned attire.

Here is the suggested dress code from the carnival web site:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

"Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

"Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

Teacher2cruiser,

Thanks for your help.

I am happy to answer questions, and I'm glad my review was helpful.

There have been many posts about elegant night attire, and some people are extremely opinionated about it. I'm going to give you the facts. There were some people that were dressed in tuxedo and sequined ballroom type gowns, but they were very much in the minority. There were 4 couples at our table - none knew each other prior to cruising - this is how the men dressed: two wore jackets and ties, one wore shirt and tie, and one wore short sleeved collared shirt. I wore black pants and a dressy top both elegant nights. The rest of the nights, my DH wore khakis and a collared shirt, and I wore either black or white capris with a blouse or top.

Don't fret over what y'all wear. Just ENJOY!

Thanks for the review. I just booked the Glory the other day for our first Carnival cruise. I decided to see for myself what the differences are between the lines are. St. Thomas is our favorite port. Next time you go, you have to take an excursion to St. John. It's amazingly beautiful. thanks again.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. My family is going on this ship very soon - leaving next Saturday. Looking forward to it very much, especially since it's our first Eastern trip. Not sure what we'll do in Nassau yet, since we've been there a number of times, but the other two islands will be new for us.

Almost time to get onboard!

I was on the March 14 Glory cruise and Marcus Anthony did perform on the ship. He did a Motown show one night. It was very good. We took the same cruise last October and he performed then also.

Lora

Great Review. I haven't been on the Glory before but I have been to the Eastern Ports. The Eastern ports are wonderful and St.Thomas is one of my all time favorite places to be!

I'm looking to hear more about all the great things to do in these "new ports" for us. St. Thomas and St. Marten will be new to my family, so what's there to do for a family of five? Three kids, ages 16, 14, and 11...

I'm looking to hear more about all the great things to do in these "new ports" for us. St. Thomas and St. Marten will be new to my family, so what's there to do for a family of five? Three kids, ages 16, 14, and 11...

Would you mind coming back on here after your cruise and posting the name of the Club O2 Director?

We will be sailing May 16th and we have a special needs son who is 17 and LOVES Club O2.

Thanks!!

I could definitely do that, if my kids end up going there. On our last two cruises, they have chosen to not go to any of the kids clubs / events, and just do stuff on their own. Whatever I guess - it's their vacation and they can figure out how they want to spend it. I'll see if I can find this out.

My DH is a teacher, and we're going on the Valor next year for spring break. I've been a little nervous about the "college kid" number. We're doing a full 7 day, without our kiddo :(, so it'll be tough enough. Was your boat really full?? Thank you!!!

My DH is a teacher' date=' and we're going on the Valor next year for spring break. I've been a little nervous about the "college kid" number. We're doing a full 7 day, without our kiddo :(, so it'll be tough enough. Was your boat really full?? Thank you!!![/quote']

The boat was pretty much full, I think, but it was so big that we never felt like it. It was important to get up early if you wanted a pool chair on days at sea, though. But once you were settled, it didn't seem like it was crowded except that you saw sad folks walking around unable to find chairs. Buffet on the day you board the ship is always a bit crowded too, but we sat out near the aft pool. There were no rowdy spring break college kids that we saw. We saw some having a good time, but nothing out of hand at all.

I highly recommend doing a tour with Sunny Liston in St. Thomas - a great fun time.

Archived