Alaska - Carnival or Princess?

phabric

Thinking of going to Alaska in Sept Inside Passage. I have been on RC, and Princess. Sapphire Princess goes out of Seattle and Carnival Spirit out of Vancouver. Both do the same ports in Alaska except Sapphire also has Victoria and roughly the same amount of time in each port.

Carnival is about $900 cheaper. Would we like Carnival Spirit after cruising on Princess.

Thinking of going to Alaska in Sept Inside Passage. I have been on RC, and Princess. Sapphire Princess goes out of Seattle and Carnival Spirit out of Vancouver. Both do the same ports in Alaska except Sapphire also has Victoria and roughly the same amount of time in each port.

Carnival is about $900 cheaper. Would we like Carnival Spirit after cruising on Princess.

For $900, I'd run like the wind to book Carnival and use the $$$ for the shore excursions. I did the Inside Passage on Celebrity and I regret not being able to spend time in Vancouver. With Vancouver being the port city, you are able to spend time there pre and post cruise. I wasn't smart enough to do either of those and just got a bus ride through town.

Once we decided to go to Alaska next summer, I looked at several different ships and compared prices. My one major requirement was that I HAD to have a balcony and by FAR, Carnival's Spirit was the best deal.

We sailed on the Pride in 2003, so we are also familiar with the layout of that class of ship. In fact, I booked the same cabin # for Alaska (our lucky cabin!), since it had the extended balcony and we liked where it was located.

My personal preference would be Princess, having sailed Alaska with them twice now: once one way, Vancouver to Seward, and thsi summer round trip from Seattle. Both version have their bright spots.

With respect to Vancouver - definitely a great place to visit; however, bear in mind that the ships stop there primarily to complete their requirement to visit a foreign port before returning to the US, so many times that stop is a short, late afternoon visit that doesn't allow much time to enjoy the city.

I 've only been on the spirit and it was GREAT

go for a balcony and get a aft obstructed balcony 7A

and save even more$$$$$

I had 5234 and the only obstruction was a boat that was level with my balcony deck- I could see out, just not down.

We cruised with NCL last summer with a huge group of CC members and had a wonderful time. We felt the price was VERY reasonable, about $1400 for both of us including insurance. That was for an inside cabin. For us, we try to choose the least expensive way to cruise, so that we can cruise more often. After all, everyone on the ship is going the same place. Just get out of the cabin and you have the same view.

We liked leaving from Seattle and returning to Seattle. If you've never been there, it's a beautiful city with many things to do and places to go. I lived north of Seattle for 28 years before moving to FL.

Cathy

Archived