VCE to Piazzale Roma Question

We are a family of four and will be in Venice one night pre-cruise at a hotel near Piazzale Roma. We were wondering given the location of the hotel if we are better off to take car transportation from the airport which is much cheaper and spend the money on a gondola ride to see the canals and have the experience or take a water taxi from the airport to the hotel and have the experience that way, forgetting the gondola ride.

Judging from the location, I am afraid that the water taxi ride won't take us through much of the Grand Canal, but am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

You are right, the water taxi won't take you through the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma.

I have never taken a water taxi but really don't see the need for your location. Options for me would be taxi/pre-booked car transfer for about 40 euros, or take one of the airport buses from directly outside arrivals.

Choices here are the non stop airport bus with luggage stotage underneath for about 3 euros or the local ACTV airport bus, keep your luggage with you, a couple of quick stops along the way, for just over 1 euro per person.

We took the latter ACTV option. Very quick and easy, hardly anyone else on the bus.

I agree with the ACTV bus option. My family and I flew into VCE December 2007 and that is how we got to town. There are actually two bus services but I don't recall the second one. My recommendation is get your luggage and ask an official in the airport the way to the bus ticket windows. Then see which bus leaves the soonest. They run about every 30-60 minutes and are very cheap.

We have done the gondola thing and it is nice for the first time but we enjoy the vaporatto (water bus) better because you see more of the city and it is a fraction of the cost. The gondola may go up a side canal and the main waterway. It all depends where you get the gondola.

There are also stand-up gondolas (can't remember the name just now) that cross the Grand Canal at various spots. They are about 1 euro per person. You get to stand on a gondola and watch these guys navigate around all of the boat traffic. Very sporty.

Hope that helps.

The airport bus is very inexpensive and easy to find. There are signs over that exit from the terminal.

The water taxis are great fun too. We took one from our hotel to the ship and it was a wonderful treat to ride right up beside the ship.

There are also stand-up gondolas (can't remember the name just now) that cross the Grand Canal at various spots. They are about 1 euro per person. You get to stand on a gondola and watch these guys navigate around all of the boat traffic. Very sporty.

Hope that helps.

They are called tronchettos, and if the water is a little choppy, you might get toppled into the drink. We saw that happen in Oct '08 when we were there. Guess it could be called sporty, but decided it wasn't for me. I ended up booking a walking tour that included a gondola ride from www.viator.com and it was all prepaid in US $$.

Gondola rides go for 80-100 EUR and more if you want a romantic singer in the evening.

They are called tronchettos, and if the water is a little choppy, you might get toppled into the drink. We saw that happen in Oct '08 when we were there. Guess it could be called sporty, but decided it wasn't for me. I ended up booking a walking tour that included a gondola ride from www.viator.com and it was all prepaid in US $$.

Gondola rides go for 80-100 EUR and more if you want a romantic singer in the evening.

Tronchetto is actually where people who drive to Venice leave their cars in a parking garage. Traghetto (plural - traghetti) is actually the stand up gondola used to cross from one side of the Grand Canal to the other site. An interesting website is: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/traghetto.htm

Tronchetto is actually where people who drive to Venice leave their cars in a parking garage. Traghetto (plural - traghetti) is actually the stand up gondola used to cross from one side of the Grand Canal to the other site. An interesting website is: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/traghetto.htm

I was close. The memory isn't quite what it used to be. Yes, that is the website I used before our cruise too. A gold mine of information and photos.

Hello Folks,

A great deal of good info. I am going in to Venice on July 11 aboard the Splendour. I have a family of 4 ( two teenagers). Several key questions... One mentions water taxi..I am thinking about arriving 2 days early.. if I am there for that long, is there a day pass that I should consider purchasing or is this a waste of money? Second question: recommendations for a good hotel and pros and cons of it.. Third Question: Hits and misses of Venice.. Thanks for all the transportation suggestions, really helpful... I don't know if my wife will let me leave Venice without a gondola ride but it sounds costly, is that per person? Thanks in advance... Dave in Houston

Vaporetto passes can be worthwhile, it depends on how many times you may use them. We bought 48 hour passes from VeniceConnected.com for 26.60 per person so 4 rides (6.50 euros each) gets us to even, anything above that is ahead. Even though Venice is not large and easily walkable, we know we will use the Vaporettos at least for a cruise down the Grand Canal and to get back and forth from the ship once we board (we have an overnight on the ship in Venice as well as a hotel night). Lots of hotels and lots of discussions on these boards, we chose the Locanda Orseolo for our trip in a few weeks. Hits would be walking and getting lost, misses can be the food, avoid the main tourist areas and any restaurant that tries to call you in. We find that a general rule of thumb in most places though. Gondola ride cost is per gondola, not per person unless you book through the cruise line or a tour provider like Viator.

Last year when we were in Venice we stayed two nights near P. Roma. On our full day we bought a 12 hour vapotitti pass. We rode up and down the Grand Canal and rode over to Maruano. The rest of the time we just walked to St Marks Square. It was only a 15 minute walk. We were able to take the airport bus for 3 euros to P. Roma and walk to our hotel. We then walked from our hotel to the ship.

To the OP: I would take the bus from the airport, then buy some vaporetto passes (12-18-24-36 hours) and just ride the vaporetto up and down the length of the Grand Canal--cheapest way to do it! Then you can use your pass for any other destinations you want to go to--Murano and Burano, etc. I totaly agree--best way to see Venice is just to walk, wander, and get lost--you can't get TOO lost! Can't wait to go back and get lost again!

Cathy

Agreed Cathy, but if you take the right bus (ACTV) then you can use your pass on the bus too. Just pick one up from Tourist Information at the airport.

thanks everyone, so I can buy the vaporatto pass at the airport and get on the actv to the piazzale roma? Does anyone know if the Splendour docks near the Piazzale Roma or elsewhere...

The Splendor will dock about a 10-15 minute walk from P.Roma and there should be a free shuttle. If you can't find the shuttle or don't have the patience to wait for it and decide to walk just make sure you ask at the port gate where to take your luggage. Do not bring it to the ship! You leave your luggage at the luggage drop off area.

2dogcarol, The express airport bus leaves from P.Roma so you have to drag your luggage all the way there. If your ship arrives on the weekend there may be a shuttle to P.Roma. We have never found the shuttle. Our luggage is on wheels and not too heavy to walk with it. It may be better to just take a taxi to the airport.

Hello all, Let me make sure I have everything straight... You arrive at airport. You go to tourist info where you buy a 2 day vaporetto pass ( because I am going to be there for two+ days) which will let me catch a ACTV Bus that takes me to the Piazza Roma. There I will get my luggage and walk to the hotel (wherever that is) or is there another option of getting to the hotel from the Piazza Roma.

On the day you board the ship, you should be able to catch a vaporetto that will go to the ship (do I have that right?), otherwise you have to walk from the hotel with your luggage to the pier where they will take your luggage for boarding on the ship?

After the cruise, you walk back to the Pizza Roma with your bags (10-15 min) or catch a cab there and from there go to the airport or hotel based on your pleasure.

Reading this thread, I really sound ignorant but if there is a way to screw it up, I will and with a wife and two cranky jet-lagged kids, I want to make sure I understand exactly what I am suppose to do once I get to Venice...

If someone can point out any descrepencies, I would appreciate it once again...

Dave in Houston

Dave, Most of what you wrote is correct except you cannot take the vaparetto to the port. You need to take the shuttle bus from P. Roma to the port, taxi or walk. Since you are on the Splendor there should be a shuttle which will be on the side of P. Roma furthest away from the vaporitti stop (grand canal). If you don't have a hotel you need to get one. It will be July so it will be hot and crowded. You need to get some books on Venice and study the city. Here is a site with the vaparitti routes.

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/routes.html

Dave We stayed at the Hotel Dalla Mora which is a very nice one star hotel. It is simple but clean only about 100 euros a night. I see they have a Quad but you would have to check availability. Check out it's reviews on trip advisor and just google it's name. Don't rely on online availability. Just e-mail them. I have found that online often says no vacancy but checking directly with hotel will have rooms.

Dave We stayed at the Hotel Dalla Mora which is a very nice one star hotel. It is simple but clean only about 100 euros a night. I see they have a Quad but you would have to check availability. Check out it's reviews on trip advisor and just google it's name. Don't rely on online availability. Just e-mail them. I have found that online often says no vacancy but checking directly with hotel will have rooms.

thanks for the tip... We were going in July.. Is it going to be too hot since I see it doesn't have a/c

Archived