Join My letter writing campaign to RCI

This may ignite a firestorm from D+ members, but ...

Frankly I think their argument about service levels for suite guests would be more reasonable if they excluded everyone, including D+, who is not in a suite. They claim they want to make this distinction then make it, don't nibble around the edges.

This makes solving the C&A level perks problem more rational, you can sort it out completely without regard to the Concierge Lounge. You then deal with the perks for the various levels without clouding it with the CL at all.

For the record I am a newly minted Diamond as of January so I'll get to use the CL exactly once on my forthcoming TA in April. I am also a stockholder. I like the balcony discount (a lot :-) but I'm upset about the no combining OBC matter. Given the current situation there appears to be zero advantage for a Plat/Diam/D+ holder to book a cruise onboard and thin advantage to remain a shareholder. (I think they should have handled the combined OBC problem by continuing to allow it but making OBC non-refundable --- it isn't "real" money anyway.) Now they've gone and cut into the Diamond perks as well.

They clearly needed to do something but given the vast array of options available to them they appear to have chosen the absolute worst.

PS. And furthermore we've never received any communication from RCCL on the changes to onboard C&A perks.

I also had posted a thread asking people to write in. I just received a reply from C&A and it's pretty much a form letter. It didn't address everything in my email. I think they are really trying to push people into cruising on their more expensive ships or at least booking the higher priced cabins. It reads:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your benefits. We apologize for any delay in our response. You are a valued Diamond member. We recognize that you are not pleased by our recent communication regarding benefits changes effective July 1, 2009 as it relates to eligibility for access to the Concierge lounges throughout the fleet. We made this decision because too often crowding in the lounges prevents us from fulfilling our original purpose of providing suite guests with a private, exclusive amenity. It has not been an easy decision to make but we believe it is necessary to offer this service at an appropriate level.

Royal Caribbean will continue to recognize the value of Diamond level members in a variety of ways. Diamond members cruising on Freedom and Oasis class ships will continue to experience exclusive access to a dedicated Diamond lounge on these ships, which feature complimentary Happy Hour from 5 - 8:30 p.m. daily. Ships that do not have a Diamond lounge will have a new special event hosted by our ships' officers for Diamond members to meet and mingle with other members. It will feature complimentary wine, champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

In addition, Royal Caribbean remains committed to maintaining a world class standard in our product delivery. Our fleet is performing at a very high level in 2009 and we hope you will come back to us soon and experience our Gold Anchor Service and amazing innovations. While we are exceptionally excited to introduce Oasis of the Seas later this year and her sister Allure of the Seas in 2010, we would be very happy to have you onboard any of our 22 ships in the near future.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback, and assure you it will be properly documented and utilized for future decision-making purposes.

.... we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Christopher Alford

Crown & Anchor Society"

Found this on another thread...this still gives me no incentive to book any more cruises with Royal...I'm better off racking up my numbers with Carnival or starting over with a new carrier....CAN'T BELIEVE ROYAL IS DOING THIS TO ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!

4-1-2009 5:00pm

Miami-Royal Caribbean announced today that after having a very huge loss in revenue from an announcement made early this week about cutbacks. As of July 1st, 2009 the new proposed plans will stay in tact.

However RCCL stated that they will be having Happy Hours on every ship fleet wide for 3 years. From 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm and from 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays drinks will be discounted 75%. The same will be true for the alcohol in the drinks. This change has been put into place to help bring back our Loyal Caribbean Cruisers. This offer applies to anyone booked in an X catagory room or above. But does not include any Suites including Junior Suites. This new approach should help to off set the building of Royal Caribbeans new Mega ships Oasis and Allure.

Found this on another thread...this still gives me no incentive to book any more cruises with Royal...I'm better off racking up my numbers with Carnival or starting over with a new carrier....CAN'T BELIEVE ROYAL IS DOING THIS TO ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!

4-1-2009 5:00pm

Miami-Royal Caribbean announced today that after having a very huge loss in revenue from an announcement made early this week about cutbacks. As of July 1st, 2009 the new proposed plans will stay in tact.

However RCCL stated that they will be having Happy Hours on every ship fleet wide for 3 years. From 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm and from 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays drinks will be discounted 75%. The same will be true for the alcohol in the drinks. This change has been put into place to help bring back our Loyal Caribbean Cruisers. This offer applies to anyone booked in an X catagory room or above. But does not include any Suites including Junior Suites. This new approach should help to off set the building of Royal Caribbeans new Mega ships Oasis and Allure.

O lord... please take a moment to look at a calendar.

jc<---- sigh freaking sigh

I have been with RCI for 10 years and (have not) cruised with any other line and am 3 cruises from being a Diamond + BUT in light of there NEW mind set I am going to try some of the other lines! It is not that I use the lounge that offten "I don't even drink" it IS the idea that they just take away a perk that was used to get people to cruise with them.

And when you get there they take it away, WHATS NEXT???? Tom S

OK - in the spirit of the RCI e-mail to Diamonds, I thought I'd andticipate what RCI will send to D+ in a few months:

Dear D+ member: At RCI, we listen to our valued Crown and Anchor members. Here in the land of "Why Not," we are proud to announce exciting new changes to the benefits you will receive as our most important cruisers, Diamond Plus!*

Beginning next Monday, all Diamond Plus* members will receive:

1. A newly designed upgraded lapel pin!

2. A newly designed RCI totebag so you can advertise our great line!

3. A great Diamond Plus Party where you can purcahse drinks at a 10% discount**

4. Pool chairs reserved just for Diamond Plus members!***

5. Free admission to the Schooner Bar!

6. An RCI amenity****

7. Dinner in the Windjammer with a crew member to be chosen at RCIs discretion!!

8. Did we mention the new lapel pin????

(In fine print: Due to overcrowding, we will no longer be able to offer Diamond Plus members access to the priority embarkation line, concierge lounge, priorty departure lounge, priority excursions, priority tenders, preferred dining room seating, maid service, or free entertainment. Guests are reminded that RCI will no longer provide drinking water, bathroom amenities or pool towels [and don't expect those animal towels in your room either].)

WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU, OUR VALUED DIAMOND PLUS MEMBER, ONBOARD VERY SOON!

* To maintain Diamond Plus level, passengers must have completed 135 or more cruises.

** 10% Discount only applies to first 15 minutes of party.

*** Pool chair reservation requests must be made 6 months in advance of sailing and are availalbe only from 2 am to 3 am.

**** Amenity will be either RCI keychain or luggage tag, at discretion of RCI

OK - in the spirit of the RCI e-mail to Diamonds, I thought I'd andticipate what RCI will send to D+ in a few months:

Dear D+ member: At RCI, we listen to our valued Crown and Anchor members. Here in the land of "Why Not," we are proud to announce exciting new changes to the benefits you will receive as our most important cruisers, Diamond Plus!*

Beginning next Monday, all Diamond Plus* members will receive:

1. A newly designed upgraded lapel pin!

2. A newly designed RCI totebag so you can advertise our great line!

3. A great Diamond Plus Party where you can purcahse drinks at a 10% discount**

4. Pool chairs reserved just for Diamond Plus members!***

5. Free admission to the Schooner Bar!

6. An RCI amenity****

7. Dinner in the Windjammer with a crew member to be chosen at RCIs discretion!!

8. Did we mention the new lapel pin????

(In fine print: Due to overcrowding, we will no longer be able to offer Diamond Plus members access to the priority embarkation line, concierge lounge, priorty departure lounge, priority excursions, priority tenders, preferred dining room seating, maid service, or free entertainment. Guests are reminded that RCI will no longer provide drinking water, bathroom amenities or pool towels [and don't expect those animal towels in your room either].)

WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU, OUR VALUED DIAMOND PLUS MEMBER, ONBOARD VERY SOON!

* To maintain Diamond Plus level, passengers must have completed 135 or more cruises.

** 10% Discount only applies to first 15 minutes of party.

*** Pool chair reservation requests must be made 6 months in advance of sailing and are availalbe only from 2 am to 3 am.

**** Amenity will be either RCI keychain or luggage tag, at discretion of RCI

excellent, but you forgot to add:

***** These benefits and any other enjoyment of your cruise vacation are subject to change at any time :p

Celebrity rewards you based on number of cruise credits, not days at sea. Sailing in CC or higher gets you another credit, and a 12-night or longer cruise or cruisetour gets you one more, for a maximum of 3 credits. Unless they changed it this year...

From Celebrity you are partially correct but they add "Cruise Credits are calculated by:

1 Credit per Sailing

1 Additional Sailing Credit on Itineraries of 12 nights or more

1 Additional Sailing Credit for booking a AquaClass stateroom, Concierge Class Stateroom or Suite. (AquaClass available on Solstice Class only)

(maximun of 3 sailings credits per sailing)

Also I didn't know that at Elite Member Benefits (11+ Cruise Credits) one gets "Opportunity to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society program at the Diamond Level" One gets Platinum Level at Select Member Benefits (6-10 Cruise Credits) which seems like double dipping.:o

Do you or anyone have RCI corporate management email addresses?

I have read differing opinions on this site about RCI changes. Many feel as I do. I am a Diamond member who has spent thousands with RCI (literally only booking my vacations with them for years) to obtain Diamond status. I did it for the perk of the concierge lounge, which I have now only used once before it is taken away. I also bought stock (and have lost money like everyone else) for the benefit of an onboard credit. All of this is now taken away. I feel that RCI had a responsbility to allow VESTED Diamond members and shareholders to keep benefits. If the rules need to change, they should be limited to those who buy stock or become Diamond after the change date. (I understand that you may not agree, but if you do, please read on...)

I am writing to every person I can think of at RCI. I hope you will join me. RCI must have some regard for Cruise Critic members, as they have an onboard social event for us. Maybe this will do no good, but if enough of us complain, who knows. Here is who I am writing:

crownandanchor@rccl.com

Corporate Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Vicki Freed

Senior VP Sales (who heads the C and A program)

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Adam M. Goldstein

President and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Richard D. Fain

Chairman and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Lisa Bauer

Senior VP of Hotel Operations

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

investorrelations@rccl.com

I have read differing opinions on this site about RCI changes. Many feel as I do. I am a Diamond member who has spent thousands with RCI (literally only booking my vacations with them for years) to obtain Diamond status. I did it for the perk of the concierge lounge, which I have now only used once before it is taken away. I also bought stock (and have lost money like everyone else) for the benefit of an onboard credit. All of this is now taken away. I feel that RCI had a responsbility to allow VESTED Diamond members and shareholders to keep benefits. If the rules need to change, they should be limited to those who buy stock or become Diamond after the change date. (I understand that you may not agree, but if you do, please read on...)

I am writing to every person I can think of at RCI. I hope you will join me. RCI must have some regard for Cruise Critic members, as they have an onboard social event for us. Maybe this will do no good, but if enough of us complain, who knows. Here is who I am writing:

crownandanchor@rccl.com

Corporate Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Vicki Freed

Senior VP Sales (who heads the C and A program)

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Adam M. Goldstein

President and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Richard D. Fain

Chairman and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Lisa Bauer

Senior VP of Hotel Operations

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

investorrelations@rccl.com

No I wont. Grow up!

My initial email to Crown & Anchor was 3/29/09. I received the "canned response" back from Christopher Alford of Crown & Anchor Society. I then sent an email on 4/1/09 to both Adam Goldstein and Investor Relations. I received the exact same "canned response" back from Judy Freyre of Corporate Guest Relations. I suggested that they read the Boards on Cruise Critics and also suggested that they grandfather current Diamond members in by upgrading us to Diamond +. But, of course, I doubt they even took the time to read the letter. I'm curious to see what response everyone else receives.

I suggested that they read the Boards on Cruise Critics and also suggested that they grandfather current Diamond members in by upgrading us to Diamond +.

Do you think that's fair to those of us who legitimately reached Diamond Plus status by actually sailing on the cruises?

This is exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone since this was announced but they continue to assume it's a money issue. The booze hardly costs Royal anything. It's enhancing the suite perks that's most important to them.

I agree that enhancing the suite perks was part of the decision, but I have to disagree with you about the money issue. It was definitely a financial decision. The cost of booze in the CL is indeed minimal to RCI, but the lost revenue from Diamonds drinking in the CL ,and not in the ship's bars, is very significant. In one of her posts, lawgirl stated that she saved around $400 on a 12 or 14 day cruise by having free drinks in the CL. Multiply that by the number of Diamonds per cruise and number of cruises per year, it becomes a very significant loss of income.

Denying CL access to Diamonds has proven to be a very unpopular decision, but how many will really cancel? Only time will tell. It may turn out that RCI made a very bold and sound financial decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiseFavorite247

I suggested that they read the Boards on Cruise Critics and also suggested that they grandfather current Diamond members in by upgrading us to Diamond +.

Do you think that's fair to those of us who legitimately reached Diamond Plus status by actually sailing on the cruises?

I don't think that it will ever happen. RCI has made their decison and for now it's cast in concrete. Every decison made by RCI in the past has been to improve revenue. No combining OBC's, an almost worthless coupon book, Johnny Rockets, specialty dining, no wine waiters, not allowing passengers to bring on alcohol, reducing concierge salaries and adding concierges to the tip list, it goes on and on. No access to the CL is just another revenue builder.

You were right, IMO, that D+ are quite safe for some time. There has to be a carrot out there and we are "IT".

I think it's just as fair as someone reaching Diamond+ by taking 3- or 4- day cruises and getting the same credit as those of us who obtain our credits with 7+ day cruises. I'm not saying that's how you got to Diamond+, but I do think grandfathering Diamonds in (via upgrades) is fair in this particular situation. Not to worry, though, this is just wishful thinking. RCI has their minds made up and nothing is going to change it.

If you are a stockholder like I am, then the changes going into effect are exactly what you want to see. Royal is a struggling company with too much debt. Expense reductions are necessary and perks such as a free happy hour for Diamond members is just the beginning of changes that need to be made in tough times. If I was running the show I would shut down the CL to everyone until the time the company returns to profitability.

I am going to write the powers that be and suggest that they close the CL and remove all perks. The dividend was recently eliminated and similarly all perks need to be stopped. If this includes the stockholder OBC then so be it.

All the whiners remind me of Wall Street execs and AIG employees crying about their bonuses.

If you want your cruise line to return to greatness then you need to bite the bullet as they work through these difficult times.

If I were to travel in the suite category (not junior suite) and RCI removed the CL, I would not be at all happy. I simply wouldn't cruise RCI.

I can understand the logic behind removal of access to CL to Diamond cruisers, but it would make no sense at all to take the CL privilege away from suite pax. These pax pay vastly more than the great majority of pax, and expect significant perks for what they pay, deservedly so.

You think there is an uproar now over the D/D+ thing, complete removal of the CL would be another thing altogether, I think a lot of RCI's best customers would vote with their feet.

Si cruiser-are u serious. A few drinks and a couple of coupons are really going to make the stock in rc skyrocket. I'm sure the hundreds of soon to be empty rooms should be more of a concern. Good thing your not in charge as u stated or we would all be sailing thru the caribbean in row boats.

Since we all received a "canned letter" back from RCI, I am going to wait a week or so and start my letter writing campaign anew, just to keep up the pressure. For those who are telling all disgruntled Diamonds to "grow up" -- I truly wish if you weren't intersted in this topic or if we are so offensive to you, please do not read the topic. You obvious have some interest, or you wouldn't read our posts.

Also, just a thought - anyone intersted in this issue may want to write RCI again around July 1st - I suspect there will be small mutinies on the ships when all of those Diamonds go to try to use the lounge and can't -- how many cruisers actually read the e-mail from RCI - especially since the lounge part was carefully placed near the end of the e-mail.

Have a nice day

I got the same letter from Kristen Loffland. I had also asked about the coupon book and was told that it would remain tier specific with many new coupons based on passenger feedback. Read what I pulled from another thread.

#

18 report.gif

post_new.gif Today, 03:01 PM

cruisegirl1 user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

There will be new books July 1. Most all the decent coupons have been deleted or changed so old coupons or those purchased off e-bay prior to July 1 will be worthless.

No more free anything (D and D+ had free ice cream, speciality coffee, drink, photo, wine tasting, JR's). Now it will be (D and D+) 20% off photo purchase, $5 off of $25 laundry, buy one get one milkshake at JR's. I imagine plat. and gold books will have even lower values of coupons.

I guess it is not the end of the world, but look for big changes in the coupon book.

M

Happy Cruising !

40 cruises - RCCL

9 cruises - Other lines

Thank you for the voice of reason. As a person who has cruised well over 50 times with Royal Caribbean, I think it's amazing they can stil fill ships in these rough economic times and pull off the consistent level of service and entertainment that makes them so special. As a matter of fact, I think they are suffering from a "multitude of riches," with such a huge repeater population. Over the Holidays when I was on, out of 4300 guests, fully 2600 of them were repeat guests - and the concierge lounge can barely hold 100. Whiners need to pull up their socks, suck it up, and smell the flowers!

I agree that enhancing the suite perks was part of the decision, but I have to disagree with you about the money issue. It was definitely a financial decision. The cost of booze in the CL is indeed minimal to RCI, but the lost revenue from Diamonds drinking in the CL ,and not in the ship's bars, is very significant. In one of her posts, lawgirl stated that she saved around $400 on a 12 or 14 day cruise by having free drinks in the CL. Multiply that by the number of Diamonds per cruise and number of cruises per year, it becomes a very significant loss of income.

Denying CL access to Diamonds has proven to be a very unpopular decision, but how many will really cancel? Only time will tell. It may turn out that RCI made a very bold and sound financial decision.

Jesus the penny is starting to drop - thanks for agreeing its a very unpopular decision

jj......

After July 1, I am going to send a letter THANKING them for finally doing something about the overcrowding in the CL. NOW maybe I can enjoy it once again in the evenings.

Our last 2 cruises we had to avoid it because of the chaos in the evenings.

Archived