Southern Carribbean Excursions

Sigfod

Less than a week to go, and I finally have some time to plan out some trips off the ship.

What are the best excursions, and why, to go on for the Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruise visiting the following ports of call.

Oranjestad, Aruba

Willemstad, Curacao

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Aside from the paid excursions are there certain "must-see's" or places that I should definitely stop in to eat?

Thanks

I would definitely suggest looking at the Ports of Call boards, but I will give one plug to Curacao-Actief tours, definitely the best tour I've been on out of 5 cruises. We had Howard as our guide for the Wonderful World of Water tour, and he is great, but I've heard good things about all of their staff. Enjoy the cruise...I did this over NYE and had a great time!

I would definitely suggest looking at the Ports of Call boards, but I will give one plug to Curacao-Actief tours, definitely the best tour I've been on out of 5 cruises. We had Howard as our guide for the Wonderful World of Water tour, and he is great, but I've heard good things about all of their staff. Enjoy the cruise...I did this over NYE and had a great time!

I second the recommendation for Curacao-Actief. I did the Wonder World of Water tour a couple of weeks ago with Howard and it was definitely one of the highlights of the cruise. There were only five people on the tour and we were off the beaten path and it was quite nice to be away from all the teeming hordes.

We also enjoyed the Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkel in St Thomas. We snorkeled with about 10 - 15 green sea turtles and the sail out was enjoyable as well.

The America's Cup excursion in St Maarten was a lot of fun, but as a primary grinder it was a lot of work, also.

I LOVED this itinerary when we did it on our honeymoon (June 2005) - I'm going to try and put some pics in this post....but we LOVED the Rhino Rider excursion in Aruba (don't have too many pics of Aruba, just the first from the boat). I just checked on Royal Caribbean's website and I don't think they offer this excursion anymore, but I found this link on expedia - it was SO much fun and it was paired with snorkeling by a shallow reef. http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt&ofid=3952&loid=601713&stat=5&wtid=28&eapid=13290-1&semcid=13290-1&kword=A&kend=1

Also, we didn't do any excursions in Curacao, but it's a VERY colorful town and just walking around was great - especially the huge lizard we came across! :)

We did another snorkeling/kayaking excursion in St. Maarten and then parasailing in St. Thomas - also check out the Sweetwater rum shack! It's cheap drinks and right in the parking lot after you get off the boat.

It's such a great itinerary, you're going to have a blast....here are some pics.....

IMG_0587.jpg.f9c1cd93d08280fa4c79e49a74639360.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg.5c621325591cf7d76e1b712a97ce247f.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg.9725c17ae4f4c8d45d77cc04c6996068.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg.f06fa708d8df1eb10572d84f7c741d60.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg.a64a5789e4c29ffaf55eb8c4fd785ea0.jpg

What are the best excursions, and why, to go on for the Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruise visiting the following ports of call.

Oranjestad, Aruba

Willemstad, Curacao

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Thanks

Despite its immense popularity, I'm was not all that impressed with Aruba. I hear the pirate excursion is fun - some friends did that. Definitely stop at Senor Frogs. It's right at the dock. No more Carlos & Charlies anymore since Natalie.

We grabbed a cab and went to see Hato Caves in Curacao. It was a unique opportunity and something entirely different than most Caribbean port experiences. It wasn't expensive. We actually shared a cab with another family who was at the cab stand at the same time, looking to go to the same place. The cab driver returned for us and dropped us in town, near the floating bridge. It was a great day.

St. Maarten...great island. Lots of wonderful things to do. If you go into town, take the WATER taxi. It's the same price as the land vehicle, but a whole lot more enjoyable.

In St. Thomas: I cannot recommend strongly enough taking the ferry from Red Hook over to St. John. It's absolutely gorgeous there! Most beautiful place I have ever been.

HAVE FUN!

Archived