My proposed Bermuda 3 day itinerary; your comments?

NoVaCruiser60

So here’s my first try at an itinerary for our first visit to Bermuda. Would appreciate any critique/improvement/suggestion from you frequent visitors/onions.

First, the immutable facts: We arrive on NCL Majesty in St George’s around 1500 on Tuesday, June 2nd; we depart same around 1100 on Friday the 5th. That gives us a half day Tuesday, all day Wednesday/Thursday, maybe a short time Friday ashore.

Second, the important opinions: ours. DW & I like quiet strolls, especially in charming small towns and park-like settings. We are comfortable finding our way around when traveling. We are very casual in taste, and we like to be and eat as “authentic” as possible when visiting other lands. We will eat anything, at least once. We’re from a high-cost area, so we won’t be shocked by the prices in Bermuda. We are not beach people; we may try to snorkel once (at the extreme novice level) and we’ll probably enjoy a stroll on some pink sand, but there will be no extended sun-worshipping. We like history, museums, and the like. Not big shoppers; at most we’ll visit some small local places for a few unique mementos (shorts? rum?). That said, here’s my draft itinerary:

Tuesday is half gone by the time we disembark, so I think we spend it in/around St Georges. We’ll get 3 day transit passes right away, and hit the visitors’ center for as much info/maps as we’ll need. Do a walking tour of the town to get our bearings. If that goes quickly, we’ll make a run to Tobacco Bay Beach (question: how far is this beach from the town; walkable?) just to wander around (reminder: bring water shoes). Unless we saw a place in St Georges that screams “eat here,” we’ll go back to the ship for dinner, then back into St Georges for the Heritage Nights celebration. Snooze aboard the Cruise; end of Day 1.

Wednesday is for exploring further inland. Probably leave the ship mid-morning and bus (which # is fastest? Is the ferry faster?) to Hamilton, then transfer to the #8 to Paget Marsh. Enjoy the nature reserve for a few hours, then reverse course to Hamilton and visit the BUEI first. While there, if we like the menu at the café, eat lunch; if not wander into Hamilton for it. Afterwards, a several hour walking tour of Hamilton and then #1 bus to Spittal pond for some more nature time. If we’re exhausted at this point, continue on the #1 to St Georges, reboard for dinner, call it a night. If we feel a second wind, reverse course on the #1 to Hamilton, eat dinner there, then stay around for the Wednesday night Harbor Nights festival (Question: is it worth doing both Heritage and Harbor nights?). Then find some late bus/ferry back to St Georges, and end of Day 2.

Thursday is all-the-way, as in all the way to the other end of Bermuda. This gets complicated: if we called it an early night on Wednesday, we will get a early start today, get to Hamilton by fastest means possible, get the #7 bus to Horseshoe bay beach for beach stroll and maybe some snorkeling, followed by Gibbs Hill for the climb/lunch. If we are recovering from a later night, ditto to Hamilton, but then take the #7 straight to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, climb it, then rest at the tea room before continuing on to Church Bay beach for strolling/snorkeling. In either case, take the #7 on towards the Dockyard. If we have time, jump off for a quick visit to the Heydon Trust (if its around 1500, there’s a Gregorian chant service in the chapel). At Dockyard, shop, stroll, muse-um. Again, if a local place strikes our fancy, eat dinner here and take a ferry (is there a direct one to St Georges?) back to the cruise ship, end of Day 3.

Friday, only disembark if there is something wonderful we missed in St Georges.

I need to get a good map of the trail for “old Rattle & Shake.” I think we would love to walk along this path, but I want to use this as an alternative when something in my well laid plans goes awry. Also, I think we’ll pass by the Swizzle Inn on several occasions, and we’ll undoubtedly “stagger out” at least once.

So, if you have answers to any of my parenthetical questions, opinions on something important we just can’t miss for a first trip (especially restaurants), technical corrections (“that’s not the #7, that’s the #8”), or just general comments (“that’s UN-possible!”) please do post ‘em, and thanks in advance!

Phew, you had me concerned that you might pass up the Swizzle Inn -- a must do! We'll probably see you there!

We've been to Spittal Pond and it's lovely. We saw lots of longtails while we were there last year. I'll have to get some info on Paget Marsh.

Tobacco Bay is definitely walkable - just one steep hill to climb from St. Georges, across the golf course, then it's all downhill from there. St. Catherine's Beach, just a little farther, is also nice and quite a bit larger, although there's no snack bar there anymore.

Sounds like you've got a good plan - good thing you've got a sea day before & after to rest up!

Your itinerary sounds great but one thing. The day you arrive in St Georges is only a half day and you wanted to walk around town and look around then back to the ship for dinner. Why would you spend the money for a three day bus pass when you will only have two days to use it? Save money and only get a two day one.

I agree that you really don't need the 3 day pass.

Here's my suggestion for St. George. As far as finding your way around town, it is very small and I'll get back to that later.

Start you walk by heading to Tobacco Bay. Like someone said, it is an uphill walk but roughly half way is the Unfinished Church that is interesting to walk around and if you're into photography, some nice pictures can be taken there.

Continue on and you will come to a part of the road that is seperated into lanes, one way going, one way coming back. By this time it levels off and you will then pass through the St. George golf course and start to see the water. You will also see Tobacco Bay. Drop in there and have a look around. Go past the snack bar and you can climb up the hill and rocks to get wonderful water views. There are also places you can climb down a bit toward the water. The road looks like it goes through but it does not, but it does take you to Coot Pond which is also scenic and good for pictures.

Go back out the little road that brought you into Tobacco Bay and make a left, this will be Barry Road. Follow it which will bring you to Fort St. Catherine, which was closed for reno but I believe will be open. You can walk up there and just have a look see outside or pay admission to see. everything.

Continue on Barry Road which will bring you to a cemetary on the right. Most of those buried there died during a yellow fever epidemic and the headstones are interesting to read. Once again, continue on Barry Road which is leftish at the cemetary. Say hi to the cows up on the right who will be looking at you.

Don't forget to make lots of stops and look at the beautiful views ahead of you, beside as well as behind you. Also notice how quiet it is with just the sound of the water and the kiskadees calls in the background. Further along you will come to the glass beach where you can stop and gather some of the treasures. Just past that is Alexandra's Battery Park, nose around there for a bit then continue on to Gates Fort where you can walk out to see where the ships come in through Town Cut.

Go back out to Barry Road and continue on until it brings you back down into St. George. You have just made a big circle. The walk is a couple of miles but we do it every year and it's become one of our traditions. Take your time and take some water.

Now back to the town of St. George. Depending on how long the walk took you....if you even did it:D you probably have some time to walk around. Somer's Garden is beautiful, there are a couple of museum's, St. Peter's Church, all of these things can be found on a a nice map availabel at the onfo center.

On the last morning before departure, you still have time to walk around St. George and stay within view of the ship. Stroll the little lanes and alley's and look for the interesting names, Needle and Thread Alley, Old Maids Lane, Silk Alley, etc. Look for the pretty gardens in the back yards and don't forget to stop in The Perfumery

Your itinerary sounds great but one thing. The day you arrive in St Georges is only a half day and you wanted to walk around town and look around then back to the ship for dinner. Why would you spend the money for a three day bus pass when you will only have two days to use it? Save money and only get a two day one.

Thanks scchasgal...I thought I might need the bus to get to Tobacco Bay beach, but as NextOne confirms, we can walk it, so I will wait until Wednesday and get a 2 day pass.

Thanks scchasgal...I thought I might need the bus to get to Tobacco Bay beach, but as NextOne confirms, we can walk it, so I will wait until Wednesday and get a 2 day pass.

The pink buses don't go to Tobacco Bay so the bus pass is no good for that anyway. If you don't want to walk it take a taxi, about $7 for the cab which you can share or the minibus service from the town square which was $3 per person last time I was there. I do recommend the walk but if it is a very hot and humid day, which isn't likely in early June but is possible, you might want a ride there.

iheartbda - thanks for the lovely walk description. We did the reverse walk last year, so we could walk DOWNHILL from the golf course. The hill up from Tobacco Bay just doesn't seem quite so bad! I thought the cemetary was fascinating - had a lovely time reading the stones until DH got bored!

With all the places you want to go to, you might spend most of your vacation waiting for and sitting on a bus - the service is good but it does take time.

Also, Paget marsh is delightful but small - it will only take you half an hour at the most. You'd do much better getting the no 1 bus from St George (the first one is 9.52am) and do Spittal pond first; then continue on the no.1 to the hospital, cross the road, and transfer to the 7 or 8 for Paget marsh (quicker than going into Hamilton and out again). Then go to BUEI on the 2, 7 or 8 buses. Then do Hamilton - try to include Fort Hamilton - it's truly worth the walk up to it - then get the 10 or 11 bus back to St George, stopping at the Swizzle on the way. The last ferry from Hamilton to St George is 2.30 pm so you'll have to go by bus, unless you get the commuter ferry at 5.20pm.

This site never ceases to amaze me...so many people willing to be so helpful!:)

@iheartbda: amazing directions...I will pull up google earth shortly and get a good route map of your walk...can't wait!

@charles4515: agree it shouldn't be too hot/humid, but thanks for the back up plan if it is.

@jollyjones: great advice, and the kind of advice one can only get from a local...thanks for saving us from vacation-by-bus. Amending my itinerary as we speak!

iheartbda - thanks for the lovely walk description. We did the reverse walk last year, so we could walk DOWNHILL from the golf course. The hill up from Tobacco Bay just doesn't seem quite so bad! I thought the cemetary was fascinating - had a lovely time reading the stones until DH got bored!

We start with Tobacco Bay fairly early and snorkel there for a few hours. By the time we've had enough, it starts to get crowded, so we get our walking shoes on and head out.;)

This site never ceases to amaze me...so many people willing to be so helpful!:)

@iheartbda: amazing directions...I will pull up google earth shortly and get a good route map of your walk...can't wait!

I love Google Earth and you should be able to follow the whole route and see exactly what I'm talking about.:)

Interesting information on the railway trail is available here

http://www.bermudarailway.net/index.html

Here is the Ferry Schedule for this summer

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_13212_283_1766_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/sea_express/routes_and_schedules/2009_summer_ferry_schedule_0.pdf

On your day three, I think I would recommend taking the ferry from St. George's to Dockyard in the morning, and then working your way along the south shore back towards Hamilton (hitting Gibbs and one of the south shore beaches) It will be much easier to get back to St. George's by bus or taxi in the late afternoon / evening from Hamilton than from the Dockyard area.

Thought you might be interested in this handy downloadable reference map of the island as well.

http://www.bermudatourism.com/Downloadable_Map.pdf

1. Walking to tobacco Bay is a short walk with lots of interesting things to see

2. In Hamilton eat at the Lobster Pot. Lunch or dinner

To get to Hamilton you can take the ferry or the bus.

I recommend the bus (I think #11) because you will get to see a lot while traveling.

do take the ferry if you are going to the dockyard.

Pictures at (does not work with Firefox)

http://web.mac.com/pekrause/Site/Norwegian_Dawn_to_Bermuda.html

On your day three, I think I would recommend taking the ferry from St. George's to Dockyard in the morning.....

Looks like they're on the Majesty and she leaves too early to go anywhere beside St. Geroge.:)

Thought you might be interested in this handy downloadable reference map of the island as well.

http://www.bermudatourism.com/Downloadable_Map.pdf

This is the first time I've seen that this map can be downloaded. It's the best map...thanks for posting the link, I'm sure it will be useful for those who want to "look around" beforehand.:)

I think that is day "four" that they leave on the N. Majesty out of St. George's. I was talking about their third day in port, Thursday. The OP was working her way west, ending in Dockyard, I thought maybe she should go out there first on the mid morning ferry, and then work their way back along the south shore to Gibbs, the beaches, maybe some of the Railway Trail, the Swizzle Inn, the Caves, and end up back in St. George's. But the island is so wonderful, anywhere you end up is bound to make you happy.

@modelman: that is a great map! I see your point about going to Dockyard first. I have had some trouble downloading the bus/ferry schedules, but now I see I need to consider them closely.

@paulekrause: nice pics; btw, they come out fine in Firefox if one has the IEtab extension. It lets you open a FF tab which emulates IE.

Archived