NCL Freestyle not so Free.

Ralph413

Just got off the NCL Gem 3-21-09. Been cruising for 30 yrs appox 28 cruises. Been on NCL 3 times. After cruising on the Dawn 2 yrs ago I vowed never to go NCL again. Wish I'd listened to my own words; I wanted to go out of New York and avoid flying. It seems like everything on NCL cost extra. Most lines will give you a key to their spa so you can work out in the gym then go into the spa for a shower, steam or sauna. Nope not NCl, Spa guest only at $100 for the week or $20 per day. However try to get in on a sea day for $20 and you’re turned away.

Most line have a couple of movies running on the TV in your cabin which change everyday. NOPE! Not NCL you get CNN, Fox News, TNT (Charmed, Bones all day long) cartoons and pay per view at $12.95 a movie. No movie theater or movies under the stars.

Most lines leave a condensed newspaper (NY Times) for free everyday.

NOPE 3.95 per day but you do get to choose from about 6 different papers.

Food fair nothing to write home about. 2 lobster nights (Small) Shrimp cocktail available every night oops Baby shrimp. Never saw a normal sized shrimp all week.

The ship itself was beautiful but poorly designed. Like old school. Certain locations like the Grand Pacific restaurant require you to go up or down one floor or outside to enter that part of the ship.

Pool set up also a poor design. Most new ships now have a separate pool usually by the spa for adults only with a retractable roof for rain and cold. Considering this ship pulls out of New York half the year and in winter months it's definitely lacking the roof. This ship has, both pools together separated by the band stand so the adults looking to relax by the pool have the band blasting in their face while they try to read a book or magazine.

On a good note the staff was very friendly (Mostly Pilipino) however I did notice a language barrier from time to time.

The blue lagoon is open 24 hr a day so you can get fish and chips or burgers during the evening but I was there with 2 other tables and after being served I waited 40 minutes for the waiter to come back so I could order desert and a second glass of water. I went back there a few days later for breakfast and had the same problem. 3 tables 5 waitresses and I had to get the hostess to get me a waiter after waiting 15 minutes and when I told her I had the same trouble a few nights ago and just want to place my order she asked 3 times if I wanted water?

Anyway I guess I'll be going back to RCCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess.

Sorry NCL.

PS: If you’re booked in Balcony 9618 get it changed Now! They are having a noise problem which I was told can not be fixed. It took numerous trips to the purser’s desk and finally got my room changed after complaining to a executive officer at the captains welcome reception.

I usually don't get sucked into poor reviews, when the complainer has very few post. But I have to agree with allot of his review.:o

Fear not; I'm sure the PCP (Post Count Police) will be here in full bray presently.

Not all of the cruise lines are owned by Carnival. Not every business operates in the same way as others, neither do cruise lines. A long know difference is that the waiters at NCL like to take desert orders when you order your entree, not later. This difference alone messed up his desert at the Blue Lagoon.

While NCL food proportions are small, you can easily ask for more. One only has to ask the waiter. Its all you can eat in the main dining rooms. He also wasn't impressed with having lobster two nights a week, it used to be one night.

In just about every sit down restaurant I have been too, the waiters always set up the drinks first before asking about the entree. Not the other way around.

The same for the spa. NCL does things differently. Instead of bucking NCL's way, you should have floated along. You would have enjoyed your cruise more.

The noise in her cabin, what was it? At least he went to the top and were able to switch cabins. Didn't matter, he wasn't pleased anyway.

Never had a problem with the spa single day on sea days on the spirit. That could be something with the Gem. Newspaper was kinda expensive but they did have a condensed one you could get delivered daily to your room for the evenings at like $1.95 or something like that.

The grand pacific resturant sounds like the garden room on the spirit. You cant walk thru on that floor you had to go up a floor to get to it.

It sounds to me like alot of what you had going on was poor service. The lobster on the spirit they would feed you as many as you wanted untill u would pop. BUT there was a quality issues with it. I had 3 meals one night and 2 were good one was rubbery.

"Freestyle" is intended to set the tone for no / few rules --as in "freedom of choice" versus "no cost".

On the Pearl recently, there were movies on TV at no extra charge...same ones over and over each day, but still, free. If movies are a big part of your cruise, why not bring a portable DVD player and your own movies and hook it up to the cabin TV?? Go to the sports bar and get free popcorn and take it back to your cabin.

I usually don't get sucked into poor reviews, when the complainer has very few post. But I have to agree with allot of his review.:o

Oh? Which parts? Were you on the same cruise?

Or are you just a complainer from another board here to bash the way

NCL does things?

Too bad the cruise did not meet the OP's expectations. My husband, my parents and I were on the Gem for same cruise and had no issues and an AMAZING time. The things about the ship/NCL that bothered the OP did not bother us at all.

Just goes to show that different people can have radically different opinions of the excact same cruise.

Early one morning on the Gem, my husband saw two ladies sitting on either side of him order bloody marys. The drinks were made at the same and were poured from the same pitcher. When they were delivered, the first woman tasted hers and screamed "oooh this is sooooo spicy!!!" The second woman (not having heard the first woman) commented "this is the most bland bloody mary I have ever had!".

My husband got a good laugh out of this one!

Anyway, to see another review of this cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=952255&highlight

I'd still rather pay the $5400.00 for our AC suite for our South America cruise on NCL than the $6500.00 in a GS on RCL. Plus we get $600.00 OBC on NCL that's for 14 days plus butler service!! I can get nickled & dimed from NCL and still come out ahead!!

Just got off the NCL Gem 3-21-09. Been cruising for 30 yrs appox 28 cruises. Been on NCL 3 times. After cruising on the Dawn 2 yrs ago I vowed never to go NCL again. Wish I'd listened to my own words; I wanted to go out of New York and avoid flying. It seems like everything on NCL cost extra. Most lines will give you a key to their spa so you can work out in the gym then go into the spa for a shower, steam or sauna. Nope not NCl, Spa guest only at $100 for the week or $20 per day. However try to get in on a sea day for $20 and you’re turned away.

Most line have a couple of movies running on the TV in your cabin which change everyday. NOPE! Not NCL you get CNN, Fox News, TNT (Charmed, Bones all day long) cartoons and pay per view at $12.95 a movie. No movie theater or movies under the stars.

Most lines leave a condensed newspaper (NY Times) for free everyday.

NOPE 3.95 per day but you do get to choose from about 6 different papers.

Food fair nothing to write home about. 2 lobster nights (Small) Shrimp cocktail available every night oops Baby shrimp. Never saw a normal sized shrimp all week.

The ship itself was beautiful but poorly designed. Like old school. Certain locations like the Grand Pacific restaurant require you to go up or down one floor or outside to enter that part of the ship.

Pool set up also a poor design. Most new ships now have a separate pool usually by the spa for adults only with a retractable roof for rain and cold. Considering this ship pulls out of New York half the year and in winter months it's definitely lacking the roof. This ship has, both pools together separated by the band stand so the adults looking to relax by the pool have the band blasting in their face while they try to read a book or magazine.

On a good note the staff was very friendly (Mostly Pilipino) however I did notice a language barrier from time to time.

The blue lagoon is open 24 hr a day so you can get fish and chips or burgers during the evening but I was there with 2 other tables and after being served I waited 40 minutes for the waiter to come back so I could order desert and a second glass of water. I went back there a few days later for breakfast and had the same problem. 3 tables 5 waitresses and I had to get the hostess to get me a waiter after waiting 15 minutes and when I told her I had the same trouble a few nights ago and just want to place my order she asked 3 times if I wanted water?

Anyway I guess I'll be going back to RCCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess.

Sorry NCL.

PS: If you’re booked in Balcony 9618 get it changed Now! They are having a noise problem which I was told can not be fixed. It took numerous trips to the purser’s desk and finally got my room changed after complaining to a executive officer at the captains welcome reception.

I found some of your comments to be misleading.

The gyms on NCL ships are free. There are charges for the spa.

Every NCL cruise that I have been on has had a couple movie channels for free, and the selection is reasonable. Other lines also have PPV movies.

I've never gotten a free newspaper on NCL or Carnival either. But I'm not on a cruise to read my daily paper. If I want the news, there is CNN and network news available.

Is NCL perfect? No? But I've definitely found it comparable to other lines, some give, some take. I do wish they had the retractable roof for their pool areas, but it hasn't been a deciding factor so far.

"Freestyle" refers to the dress code and the fact that you can go to dinner when you want (not when the cruise line tells you to), NOT that "everything is free". Sorry you misunderstood that, going in.

"Freestyle" is intended to set the tone for no / few rules --as in "freedom of choice" versus "no cost".

Just after I figured that, since they call it 'free'style, my next cruise would be free, you two bring me back to earth with a total reality check! What a bummer!!! ;)

Too bad the cruise did not meet the OP's expectations. My husband, my parents and I were on the Gem for same cruise and had no issues and an AMAZING time.

That's because you and your family are not whiners.;)

Thanks for posting this. When the very first complaint about the spa is bogus, you know what the rest of it is worth.

That's because you and your family are not whiners.;)

What do you mean, whiner?

Oh wait, I just checked the history. Yep, every single post in the history is complaint about NCL. LOL

I copied my own post from several weeks ago. None of these were pay per view on the Spirit. Sorry your tv didn't work. :rolleyes:

Here is the tv channel list & the movies for the week of 2/22 - 3/1 on the Spirit

Ch 1 - Onboard info

Ch 2 - Navigational info/announcements

Ch 3 Bow cam/announcements

Ch 4 - Safety info

Ch 5 - Restaurant info

Ch 6 - Shore Excursions/ cruise rewards

Ch 7 - Shopping channel/cruise rewards

Ch 8 - Activities

Ch 9 - CNN

Ch 10 - FOX NEWS

Ch 11 - ESPN

Ch 12 - Cartoon network

Ch 13 - TNT

Ch 14 - TMC

Ch 15 - New Releases

Ch 16 - Feature Movies

The following movies played on Ch 15 all week. They played daily but at various times

NICK & NORA'S INFINITE PLAYLIST

CITY OF EMBERS

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

CIRQUE DE SOLEIL: DELIRIUM

TRANSPORTER 3

GHOST TOWN

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3

these movies were on Ch 16 all week:

MAD MONEY

THE SPIDERWICH CHRONICLES

HANNAH MONTANA

DEFINITELY MAYBE

MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY

MADE OF HONOR

I AM LEGEND

THE BUCKET LIST

BELLA

LEATHERHEADS

VANTAGE POINT

AUGUST RUSH

WELCOME HOME ROSCOE JENKINS

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN

KUNG FU PANDA

THE GREAT DEBATERS

CHAOS THEORY

CHARLIE WILSONS WAR

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM

NATIONAL TREASURE BOOK OF SECRETS

ENCHANTED

IRON MAN

THE WATER HORSE LEGEND OF THE DEEP

THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL

FOOLS GOLD

P.S. I LOVE YOU

RUN FAT BOY RUN

THE HOLIDAY

MICHAEL CLAYTON

I copied my own post from several weeks ago. None of these were pay per view on the Spirit. Sorry your tv didn't work. :rolleyes:

Here is the tv channel list & the movies for the week of 2/22 - 3/1 on the Spirit

Ch 1 - Onboard info

Ch 2 - Navigational info/announcements

Ch 3 Bow cam/announcements

Ch 4 - Safety info

Ch 5 - Restaurant info

Ch 6 - Shore Excursions/ cruise rewards

Ch 7 - Shopping channel/cruise rewards

Ch 8 - Activities

Ch 9 - CNN

Ch 10 - FOX NEWS

Ch 11 - ESPN

Ch 12 - Cartoon network

Ch 13 - TNT

Ch 14 - TMC

Ch 15 - New Releases

Ch 16 - Feature Movies

The following movies played on Ch 15 all week. They played daily but at various times

NICK & NORA'S INFINITE PLAYLIST

CITY OF EMBERS

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

CIRQUE DE SOLEIL: DELIRIUM

TRANSPORTER 3

GHOST TOWN

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3

these movies were on Ch 16 all week:

MAD MONEY

THE SPIDERWICH CHRONICLES

HANNAH MONTANA

DEFINITELY MAYBE

MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY

MADE OF HONOR

I AM LEGEND

THE BUCKET LIST

BELLA

LEATHERHEADS

VANTAGE POINT

AUGUST RUSH

WELCOME HOME ROSCOE JENKINS

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN

KUNG FU PANDA

THE GREAT DEBATERS

CHAOS THEORY

CHARLIE WILSONS WAR

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM

NATIONAL TREASURE BOOK OF SECRETS

ENCHANTED

IRON MAN

THE WATER HORSE LEGEND OF THE DEEP

THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL

FOOLS GOLD

P.S. I LOVE YOU

RUN FAT BOY RUN

THE HOLIDAY

MICHAEL CLAYTON

Not that I put much stock in the OP's review but in all fairness last week they turned on the interactive TV that allows you to review you account, book tours etc. The result no more free movie channels at least last week.

OP you need to venture out a bit more. There are at least 4 water stations in the buffet areas just keep going aft.

I figure I'm still going to come out ahead. I believe the published rate for the GS on RCCL for the Baltic cruise was around $1200 per person more then the A4 on NCL for the same sail dates (within 5 days of each other). We switched from RCCL to NCL and ended up saving around $700 per person as we had booked the GS prior to the price increase. Even if I choose (cause most of these extras are by choice, right?) to pay for a few things extra on NCL I am certain it won't add up to $1200 per person; I'm guessing not even $700 more.

Not to mention that the suite perks on NCL seem so much better; no butler on RCCL and no private breakfasts/lunches in a specialty restaurant; no private pool. This will be my first cruise with NCL so I admittedly have no real experience, but having done my research it would seem that even though they may charge extra for a few things that other lines don't, they most certainly are more competitive for their cabins so it all seems to work out in the end.

I figure I'm still going to come out ahead. I believe the published rate for the GS on RCCL for the Baltic cruise was around $1200 per person more then the A4 on NCL for the same sail dates (within 5 days of each other). We switched from RCCL to NCL and ended up saving around $700 per person as we had booked the GS prior to the price increase. Even if I choose (cause most of these extras are by choice, right?) to pay for a few things extra on NCL I am certain it won't add up to $1200 per person; I'm guessing not even $700 more.

Not to mention that the suite perks on NCL seem so much better; no butler on RCCL and no private breakfasts/lunches in a specialty restaurant; no private pool. This will be my first cruise with NCL so I admittedly have no real experience, but having done my research it would seem that even though they may charge extra for a few things that other lines don't, they most certainly are more competitive for their cabins so it all seems to work out in the end.

You are going to love NCL suites---Butler and Concierge service are the best!! Even the die hard RCL fans admit that NCL suites are top notch!

Enjoy your cruise!

I guess everyone's a capitalist until they go on vacation. The buy-it-if-you-want-it approach on NCL is brilliant application of the free market. Just the newspapers alone demonstrate this. There is no happy news to be read so I won't touch a newspaper while I'm on vacation. And there are many people who for whatever reason never read their paper while at sea. Since only the people who want to be troubled by the world while at sea pay for the paper, they bear the full cost rather than all the non-paper-readers subsidizing the paper readers through increased fares.

And if you don't like capitalism, how about environmentalism? When goods are free, things are wasted because people will take them just because they are free. If you have to pay, you have to decide you value it enough to spend the money. Since the marginal demand of goods with cost is almost always going to be lower than free goods (there's some weird things in this world that don't follow the rule), supply will be less and less resources will utilized (read: wasted on the many papers that went unread anyway).

And for the rasta/nihilist/hippy standpoint: less knowledge of the world's grim state of affairs can only increase the general happiness on the cruise, better outcome for all!

Archived