My hotel shuttle leaves the hotel

at Noon.... ship departs at 4:00. It is about 20 minutes to the port. Will I have enough time? I think I should be okay...any thoughts?[/quot

I cant imagine why it would not be enough time. If it will make you feel better take a cab at 1030. A lot of people do that.

at Noon.... ship departs at 4:00. It is about 20 minutes to the port. Will I have enough time? I think I should be okay...any thoughts?[/quot

I cant imagine why it would not be enough time. If it will make you feel better take a cab at 1030. A lot of people do that.

The only thing that will make me feel better... is being on the ship.

First cruise ever!

Don't wan't to sweat the small stuff..... but I am SO EXCITED and don't want to screw anything up!

The only thing that will make me feel better... is being on the ship.

First cruise ever!

Don't wan't to sweat the small stuff..... but I am SO EXCITED and don't want to screw anything up!

I totally understand! We were all new at this at one time too.

I have been on 7 cruises and STILL get nervous!

So my first cruise was 1993 on the Big Red Boat -- 4 days at Disney and a 3-day cruise to Nassau. Myfriend organized the trip and I left all the details to her. Ship sailed out of Port Canaveral at 4 pm, so we spent the morning at Disney World, grabbed some lunch, made our way to Port Canaveral, parked the car, and sauntered up to the ship about 3:45. No one around ... we checked in at the purser's desk. I couldn't imagine how they checked everyone in with that small space. It wasn't until my second cruise that I realized how close we were to missing that ship. :-)

That gives you enough time. Just make sure the shuttle leaves on time (you should have everything packed from the night before.
And how exactly does a passenger make sure the shuttle leaves on time?? Other than being in the lobby or designated place on time. I suppose one could always jump in the drivers seat and take off if the driver has not put the van in gear by 12:00:05.

I missed a shuttle to the airport once because it was supposed to leave at 6:00 am. That was the earliest the shuttle left from that hotel, i got there at 5:50 am, and was told it had left at 5:45. They had shuttles every 30 minutes and my flight left at 8:00. The next shuttle left on time at 6:30, I ended up getting to the airport with plenty of time. I have a pacemaker so many times i have to wait longer in security to get patted down. So for this reason i always try to be early.

Alot of times your stateroom on your ship is not ready until 1:30. We usually leave for the port around 11:30. Depending how large the ship is etc, it can take you awhile to get through security.

Seeing your a first time cruiser i have one more story. My last cruise was my friends first cruise. We drop our bags off with the porter in NOLA. She gets one last smoke in before going inside so i pulled out my passport and put it in my documents folder. She said i dont need that do i, I said yes you do. Sbe thought since carnival had her passport number and stuff she did not need it until the end of the trip and packed it. We were able to run and catch the porter, and he was able to get her her bag. At some ports the luggage is not that accessible once it is dropped off. So make sure to keep your id and passports with you.

So my first cruise was 1993 on the Big Red Boat -- 4 days at Disney and a 3-day cruise to Nassau. Myfriend organized the trip and I left all the details to her. Ship sailed out of Port Canaveral at 4 pm, so we spent the morning at Disney World, grabbed some lunch, made our way to Port Canaveral, parked the car, and sauntered up to the ship about 3:45. No one around ... we checked in at the purser's desk. I couldn't imagine how they checked everyone in with that small space. It wasn't until my second cruise that I realized how close we were to missing that ship. :-)

I bet this is how many miss the ship in port. I remember trying to do some last-minute shopping on my first cruise in Bermuda. Next thing we know we are sprinting to the ship. We left 10 minutes after we boarded.:eek:

You can't really think this is cause for concern, can you.... honestly ??

Not too far-fetched for a newbie.;) I thought the DODs were free on my first cruise, and I wanted to carry my own luggage to my cabin. I told the porter "no thank you" and tried to lug my two suitcases and garment bag on board. I am sure there were cruise veterans shaking their heads at that one. :o

at Noon.... ship departs at 4:00. It is about 20 minutes to the port. Will I have enough time? I think I should be okay...any thoughts?

OH NO...that's not enough time, you better get an earlier Shuttle or Cab. Don't want to miss those embarkation festivities.

If you get to the terminal before 2:00 PM you should be OK boarding, except you might miss lunch. We got to our terminal in Long Beach (March 1) at 11:20 AM, but had to wait in line for about 15 minutes to get into the security area. We had done all of our paperworK on-line, had out IDs, passports, birth certificates, etc. handy and breezed through with about 1500 other people in about 25 minutes.

Some people we met at the hotel (they didn't even know the hotel had a shuttle before we told them at breakfast) came with us, but we had so much luggage, two had to wait for a second shuttle. Four of us went first and we were sitting on the Lido Deck eating lunch no later than 12:15 PM. That was less than an hour after we arrived and dropped off our luggage.

Yes, it was very fast and efficient. Shortly after (1:30 PM) when the cabin was ready, we went down two decks and found that the other couple was there, as well, since they were on the same deck also in an aft cabin. They said they also had no problem boarding and they were at the ship an hour later than we were. I guess they didn't have to wait in line like all the early birds did.:D

The main point is to make sure you are totally prepared. Have all of your luggage tagged properly, even your carry on (you might want to check more than two bags each... have a good tip ready) and your boarding paperwork in a handy folder (I use a plastic colored one I can close so nothing gets lost.) Also don't faint if you see a thousand or more people in line in front of you when you get there.

What you do need to worry about is making sure you get back to your ship at least 30 minutes before the ship leaves when they are in port and you go off on a shore excursion, because the time changes sometimes, the departure times change with it and the local guides might ASS-U-ME that they can get you back later than you need to be there. If you want to play "leaving roulette," take plenty of money and your passport, because you'll need it if you miss your ship and have to fly home.:eek:

How do I know? It almost happened to us in Cabo. Our tour gide finally believed me and got us back to the tender dock 30 SECONDS to spare or we would have missed the last (official) tender leaving the harbor.

Also, something I wish someone had told me when booking.....if you are a non-smoker and get a balcony cabin, get one forward (as far as possible) so you don't have to breathe every other cabin's second-hand smoke blowing in your face off their balcony.:mad:

at Noon.... ship departs at 4:00. It is about 20 minutes to the port. Will I have enough time? I think I should be okay...any thoughts?[/quote I think as long as you're involved in the check in process by the time the ship is ready to leave, they will wait for you. This gives you almost four hours. We usually try to get to the pier as early as 11 or so. I like to get on as early as possible to "get my money's worth" out of the lunch buffet.:D. Have a great time! Bill.

Well, we made it!! The 12 Noon shuttle didn't leave until 1:10... and then it took 45 minutes to get to the port due to road construction. So; we made it by 2:00 pm. And then finally got thru the line and on the ship by 3:15 pm. Ate lunch and then went up to the funnel deck to take pics of the Dames Point Bridge. Bags got to room by 5:45... but we just wore what we had on to our 6:00 pm dinner. I will post a full review with pics in the next day or two. It is time to relax a little after our "relaxing" vacation.

That gives you enough time. Just make sure the shuttle leaves on time (you should have everything packed from the night before.

We like to be at the ship around 11:30 to get lunch on the ship. It is the first day of your cruise afterall. But heck, leaving at noon is TONS of time.

So you made it after all...

Yep!! And had an AWESOME 1st cruise!! Already looking at the Dream in 2011 to bring the kids. They didn't go this time; and we want to do a 7 day. And the Dream is cheaper out of Port Canaveral then the Legend out of Tampa. We are driving to the ports so this is the furthest we want to travel. :D

Yep!! And had an AWESOME 1st cruise!! Already looking at the Dream in 2011 to bring the kids. They didn't go this time; and we want to do a 7 day. And the Dream is cheaper out of Port Canaveral then the Legend out of Tampa. We are driving to the ports so this is the furthest we want to travel. :D

We always drive in and stay at the Radisson in Port Canaveral, they will let you leave your car there and take their free shuttle with one overnight stay. You don’t have to get the cruise package. The only difference is that the cruise package includes a breakfast buffet in the morning at the hotel

I think their first shuttle leaves at 1030.

Archived