CPAP Question

Spice12725

I am sailing on the AOS next week. I use a CPAP machine and I am wondering if there is an outlet near the bed. I am in a standard inside cabin. If there isn't one right by the bed I need to know how long of an extension cord I will need. Thank you VERY MUCH for any help you can give. If I don't use my machine, I will be miserable.

My DH also uses a CPAP machine. (Thank you, God for these!) I suggest that you take an extension cord. We have not sailed on that ship, but have never been on a ship where there is an outlet near the bed. One time the room steward brought us an extention cord, but it was one like my DH uses in the garage - very heavy and long.

The water on the ship is as good as distilled and will be fine for the week for you machine.

Have a fabulous cruise! We are looking at going on that cruise in June. Sounds like a good one!

I always carry an extension cord with me. It doesn't take any room and it sure beats trying to get at those plugs behind the mattresses in hotels. I also carry an adapter that reduces a three prong to a two prong because a lot of places in Mexico are only two prong. Never had any problems on the ships but an extension cord rolls up pretty small.

i dont think you need to notify the cruise line. you can if you feel like it but i dont think its necessary. ive traveled several places with my CPAP and never had an issue. in two airports its been checked out as part of what seemed like standard procedure and thats it.

i even checked mine on our most recent cruise with our luggage getting onto the ship so i didnt have to carry it around with me. it came with the rest of our luggage fine.

i do carry a note from my Dr saying its medically necessary but ive never needed it.

as for using it in the room DEFINITELY bring an extension cord. on our last cruise i brought a power strip (also very handy) and an extension cord and i dont think there were any outlets anywhere near the bed (NCL cruise) i would plug the power strip in by the vanity, put the power strip on the little chair and then plug anything that needed charging (cellphone, ipod, laptop) into it and also the CPAP and just run the cord along side the bed.

no problems whatsoever!

My DH uses a CPAP (and I 2nd the "Thank you God!" for that!). We take a 12' heavy duty extension cord with us. In fact, it stays in the suitcase, so it will not be left behind. However, on our first cruise, we got one from the purser's desk. There is a $25 deposit for the cord if you get it from them, but they take that back off your S&S when you return the cord on the last day. And no, I have never seen an electrical outlet near the bed....which also means you need to take a battery operated clock, if you don't take an extension cord. Also, we have never informed the cruise line about the CPAP machine and have never been asked about it. However, they did search our carry on at one airport because the CPAP was in there. :rolleyes:

Hi, Take a power strip, and even after x-ray ,the airport people sometimes want to see it plugged in and running which just takes a little more time.I have two Powerstrips with my unit, because those outlets hide in some strange places. Hope you have a nice trip.JY.

DH takes a power strip with a long cord, and he's never informed anyone that he's bringing it on a ship. He has a letter from the dr. in case the TSA questions it, but he's never had to use it. Often they take it out of the case and wipe it down, but that only takes a minute. As someone else mentioned on another thread, without the cpap he'd be sleeping on the balcony-lol.

Archived