Shorts at dinner on the Jewel

lmt0714

So I know the official word from NCL is no shorts at dinner...but I've seen conflicting reports on here regarding people wearing dress shorts to dinner. My husband has several pairs of nice dress shorts that he wears with button down collared shirts, and can't believe he can't wear them to dinner. I know you can wear them to the buffet but I'm not crazy about eating dinner at the buffet so wanted to get someone's recent report about how strict they were with the dress code on the Jewel in the dining room/specialty restaurants. Thanks in advance! :D

Bottom line, it will strictly depend upon the maitre d' at each restaurant and how they choose to handle it. I could tell you that I saw shorts in the dining room in the evenings on my January Spirit cruise (truth is, I can't actually remember if it happened or not, but just giving an example) but if that same maitre d' left for vacation and someone else is in that position now, that would not help you. I would feel confident that the one main dining room that doesn't allow jeans at dinner probably wouldn't allow shorts either.

My suggestion is to just pack a couple pairs of pants for DH and just have him wear them to dinner and change afterwards. Then you don't have to worry about "will they let him in wearing shorts".

Sorry, but if you know the "official rules" why not follow them? Sorry, but just my opinion. My fiance doesn't like wearing pants on cruises either, so we find alternate arrangements for dining. True, some people don't follow the rules, but many people enjoy cruising and dining according to the rules, why not think of others?

Sorry, but if you know the "official rules" why not follow them? Sorry, but just my opinion. My fiance doesn't like wearing pants on cruises either, so we find alternate arrangements for dining. True, some people don't follow the rules, but many people enjoy cruising and dining according to the rules, why not think of others?

I think the rule is in place so men don't wear their bathing suits or other very casual type of shorts. It would be very difficult for NCL to try to differentiate in their rules on what shorts are ok and which are not ok, so they say no shorts. Like I said, my husband has dress shorts that he wears with a button down collared shirt so I can't imagine that anyone would be offended by what he was wearing.

I'm sure you never go over the speed limit either. :rolleyes:

My kids are 13 amd 10 and when we were on the Jewel in February, my oldest was not allowed to enter the dining room with his shorts on. He had a collared shirt and shorts and was told to put on pants. This was the first time he had ever had this problem. Maybe it's the age. So I will say that shorts are not allowed in the dining room.

I'm sure you never go over the speed limit either. :rolleyes:

So you want to equate following a dress code to an actual law? :cool: It's not remotely the same thing. Why did you bother asking if you didn't want real responses? You'll end up doing (or your DH will) what you want anyway but don't be upset if you are relegated to the buffet or the Blue Lagoon, knowing full well what the published dress code is.

Rules are rules for a reason. Breaking them is something we all do on occasion, but if we get caught, it is on us. If you break the no shorts rule, don't get mad if I light up a smoke at your table, while pulling out my smuggled bottle of booze, and start belching after chugging a drink, and singing Irish lullabies loudly. If the head waiter calls me on my behavior, I am going to scream bloody murder that he let you break the rules, so why can't I do it.

I really wouldn't do this, but someone might.

Al

I have never seen a man in shorts in the dining rooms for dinner, so the rule is enforced. The rule is no shorts, so you have 2 choices. You either eat in the buffet or he puts pants on for the couple hours it will take you to dine.

CG

The big picture is rules and when to abide by them. Most of us want

the ships' crew to enforce pool, chair hogging rules, we prefer protocols

for saving seats in the lounge areas...and on and on, yet when we want

to bend a rule for our own comfort or pleasure ;) Rules allow us to co-

exist...Driving cars, sports,right it's all based upon rules, IMHO we

need them..no, my panties aren't too tight, sometimes I break a rule but

I accept resonsibility and don't argue with those who call-me-out and

enforce them. Many women find dressing for dinner quite special, some-

thing they rarely do at home, nice dress, hairdo, make-up some jewelry,

I personally feel a responsibility to respect them and dress appropriately

for dinner or go to the LIDO deck...:eek:

Rules are rules for a reason. Breaking them is something we all do on occasion, but if we get caught, it is on us. If you break the no shorts rule, don't get mad if I light up a smoke at your table, while pulling out my smuggled bottle of booze, and start belching after chugging a drink, and singing Irish lullabies loudly. If the head waiter calls me on my behavior, I am going to scream bloody murder that he let you break the rules, so why can't I do it.

I really wouldn't do this, but someone might.

Al

Well said, mi amigo:D

So I know the official word from NCL is no shorts at dinner...but I've seen conflicting reports on here regarding people wearing dress shorts to dinner. My husband has several pairs of nice dress shorts that he wears with button down collared shirts, and can't believe he can't wear them to dinner. I know you can wear them to the buffet but I'm not crazy about eating dinner at the buffet so wanted to get someone's recent report about how strict they were with the dress code on the Jewel in the dining room/specialty restaurants. Thanks in advance! :D

Not wanting to stir the pot on this one, but I'm wondering what the reaction would be to a "Dress Kilt" or "Dress Bermuda Shorts" (which, from what I gather ARE Formal Wear in Bermuda).

Michael

posted twice, not a good idea. I am sorry.\\\\

we saw shorts on guys and a few gals on Princess last year but we haven't seen any on NCL.. I really think if the policy is no shorts or anything else everyone should abide. It isn't a big deal to put on long pants for an hour or so each night. DH only takes a couple pair with him on cruises cause he does only wear them to dinner. Even if he does get away with wearing them he isn't following the rules, cut and dry..

Nita

So you want to equate following a dress code to an actual law? :cool: It's not remotely the same thing. Why did you bother asking if you didn't want real responses? You'll end up doing (or your DH will) what you want anyway but don't be upset if you are relegated to the buffet or the Blue Lagoon, knowing full well what the published dress code is.

I did want real responses...if you look at my post I asked if anyone on the Jewel recently had seen shorts in the dining room. I didn't ask for people to give me lectures on rule following. If they are enforcing the rule we will follow it. When I sailed on RCL the rule was no jeans, but the guys in my party and plenty of others on board wore jeans to dinner.

I did want real responses...if you look at my post I asked if anyone on the Jewel recently had seen shorts in the dining room. I didn't ask for people to give me lectures on rule following. If they are enforcing the rule we will follow it. When I sailed on RCL the rule was no jeans, but the guys in my party and plenty of others on board wore jeans to dinner.

As someone else already posted, what happened on their cruise may or may not hold true on your cruise (different Maitre D' etc).

No shorts is the rule, so follow it. Pretty simple.

Now while I do not agree with breaking rules and agree with the no shorts in the dining room, is there not a dining room that allows shorts. I was under the impression that there was one dining room that was formal and there was another that is more casual. I am on the Star and my husband to will not bring any dress pants, but I was told that it is okay because while we cannot eat in the Versailles Dining Room we can eat in the Auqa with shorts on. Please let me know if this is not true because I refuse to eat in the buffet for dinner so I will MAKE:eek: him wear some sort of pant. Thanks for the advice.:)

My point was that just because I saw them yesterday (for instance, not literally) on the Jewel doesn't mean your DH will get away with it on your cruise. I didn't lecture, though I could have.

And we (as a collective people) wonder why our children think the rules don't apply to them???? :eek: :eek: :eek: When the adults don't bother to follow them, the kids grow up thinking the rules must apply to someone else.

Now while I do not agree with breaking rules and agree with the no shorts in the dining room, is there not a dining room that allows shorts. I was under the impression that there was one dining room that was formal and there was another that is more casual. I am on the Star and my husband to will not bring any dress pants, but I was told that it is okay because while we cannot eat in the Versailles Dining Room we can eat in the Auqa with shorts on. Please let me know if this is not true because I refuse to eat in the buffet for dinner so I will MAKE:eek: him wear some sort of pant. Thanks for the advice.:)

My understanding is that one MDR allows jeans (this is the casual MDR and is usually much smaller) and the other does not, but shorts are a no-no in both. The buffet and Blue Lagoon are perfectly fine when wearing shorts.

Archived