Certified Diver on PG

My partner and I are certified PADI open water divers and in possession of our PADI cards. We have dived every year or two for the last few years but we cannot locate our old log books indicating last dive, which was in 2007. When you read the PG literature about certified divers, it states that a (PADI) cert-card and proof of dive w/in 2 years as re required to dive w/PG. We do not have the "proof" part of this requirement. Is this really strictly enforced by the PG dive crew? I have never before had to show "proof" of my most recent dive to any group to dive (in the Caribbean). Can anyone confirm we will be "OK" to dive with our PADI cards?

Vagablondes..you both will love the PF and French Polynesia for diving...Dominique (one of best DM's we've had) the Dive Master in charge of the diving program on the (but 4 years ago) PG did not check my log book, but you do fill out paperwork & sign it indicating when your last dive was...but to be certain of dive documentation rqmts now, suggest you send information@rssc.com (care of Dominque & PG) an email

asking what dive documentation you need to bring on the PB besides your cert cards...have fun

And if you do e-mail, please share the results here if you don't mind. I don't really log my dives anymore, other than an MS Access file that I suppose I could print out, but how is that really "proof" since I could type anything in there. For that matter, how is a log book really proof?

I'm personally not very worried since my dive computer logs date and time and that can "prove" that I was in the water as recently as December (with last year's Bonaire marine park tag to back it up), but since I could have borrowed the computer and BC w/tag from a friend, how is that really proof?

I have spent over a month on the PG, and I don't think you will have any problem. They will take your word that you have been diving. In any event, your worst case it they will make you do a refresher course in the pool the first day of the cruise.

No one checked a log book last June when I was on the PG. I do not log dives any more. You fill out the paperwork on the ship and they will take your word. They will also be watching you closely on the first dive to see how you do. If you are at all worried about not having any paperwork, I would suggest getting a brief statement from your local dive store where you have your equipment serviced and your tanks filled. Most of the time they will send a memo off with you attesting to your dive activity. If you are really really really worried go to the local dive store, buy the cheapest log book you can find and log yourself a few hundred dives. Have fun. The PG is a great live aboard dive boat and the diving in Tahiti is spectacular.

Archived