Disposable camera for kids

graysladymurphy

I thought it would be neat to give each of my kids(ages 11, 10 and 6) a disposable camera to have during the cruise. That way they have something to look forward to at the end of the cruise when we get the developed. Anyone done this before? Should I get a water proof one they can use snorkeling too? Any recommendations?

I thought it would be neat to give each of my kids(ages 11, 10 and 6) a disposable camera to have during the cruise. That way they have something to look forward to at the end of the cruise when we get the developed. Anyone done this before? Should I get a water proof one they can use snorkeling too? Any recommendations?

The Kodak Waterproof camera is excellent! We have some great photos from snorkeling and the beach. Another plus is that it is more "rugged" than a regular disposable camera and still works fine if it is dropped. Typically retails around $10 - I see that it is $13 including shipping on Amazon.com if you can't find it in a store near you (if you buy several the shipping cost per item drops so that total cost per camera is about $10). The only downside to this camera is that it does not have a flash. It will take wonderful pictures outside (we even have great photos from as deep as 80 feet underwater while scuba diving) but the pictures are only so-so inside. If they are hoping to take pictures around the ship as well, you may want to buy an underwater camera as well as a disposable camera with flash. I haven't purchased one of these in years, but I'm sure any would be fine. If you really care about the quality of the photos, look for one with 400 or 800 speed film (it should say on the package). I do not recommend Kodak's disposable black & white camera, so you'll have to settle for color pictures :)

On a side note, before you buy the cameras, I would advise checking around town to see where you can get film developed. Around here, it appears that almost everywhere has eliminated film processing other than the one-hour photo option, which tends to suffer in quality and is typically more expensive. You may not care since it is just a treat for your kids.

A neat idea, would you consider a cheap digital camera. At Ritz and almost any electronics/camera store they now also sell very cheap kiddie cameras. Not suitable at all for high quality 4x6 prints but more then enough for lots of fun pictures to view on the computer. With memory so cheap these can easly take hundreds of pictures, perfect for kid play.

If you get disposable, remember you got to develop them. Also most disposable cameras are 24 or 36 exposures. Figure you are going to be paying about 15-20 bucks/36 pictures. If your kids are like mine they have no concept as to pacing their shooting. Usually they start shooting and shooting and shooting and we see 1 in 20 pictures are worth a look at all. They can easily shoot off 30 pictures on the first thing that strikes their fancy :eek:. I often lend them one of my too many digital cameras, so maybe they already realize its free and unlimited :confused:

No question my kids had fun with camera in hand.

I agree with the previous poster. I had considered getting a disposable camera for my son, but they are so expensive per picture, for a lot of very funky photos. I have an older digital camera that I have taught my 3 (*just* turned 3) year old to use. He has had to learn to respect it and handle it carefully or he won't be able to use it. He's doing a great job.

Obviously, not everyone has an old camera around that they're willing to risk letting a child use, but I do think that the idea of purchasing a cheap digital is a good idea if your child can learn to take care of it (with supervision). 48-72 photos on regular disposable, with processing, is easily the price of a cheap digital camera.

I think a cheap digital camera (even a refurb you can get at Big Lots) might be the better option unless you really want waterproof. As a PP said, film developing these days is outrageous, and it's not that cost effective to spend the money on that much film and developing.

Your kids might be too old for it, but for my DD's third birthday a couple of weeks ago, I gave her a rugged Little Tykes digital camera that I bought for $25 at Radio Shack. It takes ok pictures, has a flash and view screen, downloads easily to your computer, and can take a good beating as well as accidental moisture.

We always do the disposables my kids loved them.Teenagers tend to leave things when they are hanging with their friends so digitals cost too much to lose. We did learn to put their name on it my daughter got hers mixed up with her friends she made thank goodness she had their address and they had hers. We were surprised when it was developed and it was her cruise friends family I'm sure they were just as surprised lol.:D

Hey, here is a writeup / review of a cheap digital, on april 1st too :D

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/kidizoom.htm

I am going on my 1st cruise in a few days and just bought an Olympus Stylus 850SW digital underwater camera from Sams Club for $154. It is waterproof up to 10 feet. I figure I can use it in and out of the water and take as many pics as I want without being limited to the 27 exp of a disposable. It also came with a floating wrist strap so you don't lose it in the water. The mini SD card was $9 more.

Just an idea...

Amy

Canival Valor April 2009

I am going on my 1st cruise in a few days and just bought an Olympus Stylus 850SW digital underwater camera from Sams Club for $154. It is waterproof up to 10 feet. I figure I can use it in and out of the water and take as many pics as I want without being limited to the 27 exp of a disposable. It also came with a floating wrist strap so you don't lose it in the water. The mini SD card was $9 more.

Just an idea...

Amy

Canival Valor April 2009

That is a phenomenal price, I recalled wanting a water camera but these were 399 or something when they were first released. Might have to get one :D

I would go with an inexpensive digital camera. Walmart and Target has great deals that are perfect for kids.

Thing with a disposable camera is (from my experience of doing and seeing) the kids tend to use up the film the first day or two. Might want to set a number of photos taken per day. Otherwise, they will run out of film before the third day and you might have to buy another one.

I would suggest a cheap digital. You can get great prices on alot of them. Plus use a coupon. Then they can take as many photos as they want and look at them to see if they want to keep them or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Another suggestion I saw on these boards was to write your cabin# on your camera or other items. That way it can be returned to you while you are still on the ship. :)

We always do the disposables my kids loved them.Teenagers tend to leave things when they are hanging with their friends so digitals cost too much to lose. We did learn to put their name on it my daughter got hers mixed up with her friends she made thank goodness she had their address and they had hers. We were surprised when it was developed and it was her cruise friends family I'm sure they were just as surprised lol.:D

Archived