Book Shore Excursions in Bermuda? Or on your own?

Patty1stTimer

My husband and I will be celebrating our first anniversary on our first cruise! We just booked on Norweigan. We have never been to Bermuda and we're not sure if we should book shore excursions thru the ship or if it's better to venture out on our own to explore. Any advice? :)

Thanks!

Patty

Hi Patty, Bermuda is very easy to get around..the bus and ferry system is easy to use and very comprehensive ..you can look at the schedules at the top of the page. Are you going on the Dawn or the Majesty..they dock at different ports, so any suggestions you recieve will be dependant on whether you are docked in St.George's or Dockyard...but whichever port...its easy to get around. If there is something you really want to do..eg: Turtle Bay Catamaran (loved it!) book an excursion..well worth it. For beaches,forts,Botanical gardens, just take the bus/ferry. Look at info on Bermuda...tell us what you want to do...many people on here are repeat Bermuda visitors, and are very willing to help answer you questions! Regards...Debbie

We are taking the Norweigan Dawn 6/21-6/28 and will be docked at Kings Wharf for 3 days. We know we want to do one beach day, and probably spend the other 2 days sight seeing the island and historic landmarks,etc. Norweigan offers a Horseshoe Bay excursion but its $25 per person and I think only 4 or 5 hours. Norweigan also offers a 5 hour island bus tour but its $79 pp but then again maybe it's worth it? Not sure what to do. We have never done any snorkeling/snuba but the cruise line offers many of these types of excursions... is it difficult/require lots of training? Any tips/suggestions are welcomed!

Do NOT take the ship excursion to Horseshoe Bay. All you're getting for $50 is transportation. You're better off getting a transportation pass that's good on both busses and ferries then you're free to go where you want and styay as long as you want. You may not need a 3 day pass and the 2 day pass will cost $40 for the two of you.

Since you're at Dockyard, you can snorkel at The Snorkel Park which will also be much cheaper than any of the excursions. Since you have not snorkeled before, Snorkel Park would be a good intro for you rather than going out in the open water. It's not hard, you just have to get used to breathing through your mouth. You can rent the equioment there.

Not sure what kind of things you're interested in but you will be limited with a bus tour because there could be something that you want to see more of but you must keep to their schedule.

Like someone else said, tell us what you like or want to do. Do you want to spend most of your time at the beach and in the water? Do you like historical or cultural things?

The Bus and Ferry are easy and cheap. I don't buy the day passes- I get a book of 15 all zone tickets that are good on the bus and ferry. I never have taken more than 7 buses/ferries for two on two days and its $30 vs 46 for two two day passes.

There is no discount for non Bermuda senior citizens but tots under 5 and babies I think are free. If you are taking anything but an umbrella stroller the buses are at best difficult.

Cabs although expensive by NY standards are readily available most of the time. Cabs with a blue flagged are specially certified for touring. They charge either the meter or by the hour and are very knowledgeable.

Do you have to take the ships tours? of course not. But if its your first time to the island the $79 all island tour is not a bad way to go....but if its four of you you can take a cab tour for less and probably see more.

Wow, your very first cruise! Now THAT's something to look forward to. :)

Since it's your first time, you may have more peace of mind in booking through the cruise line. In the rare event of weather issues, an excursion may be cancelled and your money will be refunded. On the other hand, there are some fun things (such as horseback riding on the beach) that were not among the "official" excursions.

I agree with iheartbda about the Horseshoe Bay excursion.

We will be in Bermuda for the 1st time the week of April 25 on the GOS. What would you suggest that we do for the day. I think we have about 8 hours in Port and are docked at Kings Wharf.:)
If you like the beach, go to Horseshoe Bay!:D

This year you may want to check the Bermuda website -- http://www.bermuda2009.bm. for ideas of special activities. This is Bermuda's 400th birthday and many things are being planned. I wish this information or link could be included in a separate post or as info. at the top of the forum as I think many cruisers would be interested.These activities are being sponsored by the government and people of Bermuda.

Ship's excurison uses the same public buses (which they charter) that you ride on your own - they are smaller buses due to its narrow lanes throughout the island. It's really very easy to get around on your own taking the bus and from King's Wharf, by riding the 20 minutes fast ferry to get "downtown" - Hamilton & the shops & restaurants, etc. are all right along the waterfront & up the small hill, next to the pier where smaller cruise ships are docked. City bus drivers are very friendly, give directions & will call out your stop if you tell them where you are going/transfer points, etc. Exact change on the bus/ferry - we find it easier to buy the 1 day, 2 day or 3 day passes & not having to worry about bills & coins since it is zoned ($1 USD = $1 BMD & shops will try to give change in USD)

Google for & print your own downtown Hamilton/waterfront maps to bring along for a self-guided tour (NCL's Port & Shop/Excuriosn map doesn't provide enough details except to point you toward DI & its designated shopping partners) so you can plan ahead. There are plenty of guides, maps & tourist attraction info inside the downtown cruise pier terminal once you arrive.

For a 8 hour port stop on a self-guided tour, I would take the scenic bus ride to Hamilton (about 1 hour ride) passing beaches & local towns on the way, ending up on the waterfront before its main city terminal up the hill. Walk the shops, take pictures & visit the historic churches & government buildings, shop for gifts & perhaps a lunch stop (beware, it's somewhat pricey - the fish chowder is famous & excellent) - and then take the ferry (marked "Dockyard") for a 20 minutes ride across the harbor/bay back to the ship - with plenty of time to spare.

We would like to go to Hamilton and sightsee but I wanted to know is can we fit in both going there and also spending time at a beach?? We would like to start the day at a beach (snorkling) and then go to Hamilton and then back to the ship..Dockyard.

Any suggestions on how to do this?? What beach would be best??

Thanks for any suggestions!!

We would like to go to Hamilton and sightsee but I wanted to know is can we fit in both going there and also spending time at a beach?? We would like to start the day at a beach (snorkling) and then go to Hamilton and then back to the ship..Dockyard.

Any suggestions on how to do this?? What beach would be best??

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Although you didn't say it I assume you are staying at the Dockyards-which is the westend. yes you can do both easily. You go to horseshoe Beach the world famous beach by bus about 1/2 away(walk down and take the jitney back up for $2pp). Change in the changing room into shorts and put your wet stuff away(they don't like people wearing wet stuff on the bus). Then take the Bus to Hamilton(its the same bus you came on just going all the way to Hamilton(about 1/2 hour once on the bus). In Hamilton after sightseeing take the ferry back it takes 20 minutes and runs about every hour...check the scheduled. A day ferry/bus pass is $12.00...

I have been looking into the dolphin swim & booking directly through Dolphin Quest is not cheaper. On their website "The Enounter" (which seems to be the one NCL is offering as an excursion) is $230 & through NCl it is $219. If anyone else has different info. I'd love to hear it & be able save some $$:)

Does anybody know approx. how much a cab would cost from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay? I bought a one day pass for the bus last trip, but wound up only going there and wonder if it would have been just as cost effective (there are 3 of us) to take a cab. Also, the pink bus was a little scary! They don't sell key chains that claim "I survived a Bermuda bus" without good reason!

Does anybody know approx. how much a cab would cost from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay? I bought a one day pass for the bus last trip, but wound up only going there and wonder if it would have been just as cost effective (there are 3 of us) to take a cab. Also, the pink bus was a little scary! They don't sell key chains that claim "I survived a Bermuda bus" without good reason!

about $30(25% more on Sunday or Holiday)

hahaha I have that same exact keychain and I must say, I earned it!!

Very scary indeed but still alot cheaper and more thrillling than a taxi ride :)

Archived