Juneau City Bus - Mendenhall Glacier

Hogladyrider

Hmmmmm reading on the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center web site it states that the city bus drops visitors 1-1/2 miles from the visitors center and you must walk.

Are there other alternative means of transportation to get to the Glacier without a private tour?

If so, what would be the approximate cost of a cab fare from the terminal to the visitor's center?

Hmmmmm reading on the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center web site it states that the city bus drops visitors 1-1/2 miles from the visitors center and you must walk.

Are there other alternative means of transportation to get to the Glacier without a private tour?

If so, what would be the approximate cost of a cab fare from the terminal to the visitor's center?

There are shuttles from the cruise ship terminal to the visitor's center. They run frequently and are about $15 per person round-trip.

For clairfication, there are booths set up on the dock, which offer Mendenhall shuttle buses, for about $14pp round trip. These drop off at the Visitor Center. A cab is around $25+++ one way.

For clairfication, there are booths set up on the dock, which offer Mendenhall shuttle buses, for about $14pp round trip. These drop off at the Visitor Center. A cab is around $25+++ one way.

thanks for posting. this is what i want to do also.

So, with more than 2 people it would be less $$ to take a cab??? Are cabs readily available for the return trip to the ship.

Shuttle is $14 per person round trip. Taxi $25+ one way.

Taxi would only be cheaper if you have 4+ people.

Shuttle is $14 per person round trip. Taxi $25+ one way.

Taxi would only be cheaper if you have 4+ people.

Thanks! I wasn't looking at the prices correctly. One is r/t the other one way. So the breakeven point would be 4 people. We'll be with our family so there will be 10 of us. But we may go different ways or at different times.

Thanks! I wasn't looking at the prices correctly. One is r/t the other one way. So the breakeven point would be 4 people. We'll be with our family so there will be 10 of us. But we may go different ways or at different times.

I can't imagine getting 10 people to all do the same things. On my first trip to Alaska, we had a family group of 12 (6 adults, 6 kids) and we rarely all did the same thing. About the only thing we could count on doing together was dinner each night (traditional seating) and even so, SIL, BIL and their kids ended up eating at the buffet 3 nights out of 7.

I can't imagine getting 10 people to all do the same things. On my first trip to Alaska, we had a family group of 12 (6 adults, 6 kids) and we rarely all did the same thing. About the only thing we could count on doing together was dinner each night (traditional seating) and even so, SIL, BIL and their kids ended up eating at the buffet 3 nights out of 7.

I completely agree, I always advocate people split up. Touring is costly in Alaska to drag someone along who is not interested and too good, for someone to miss something of interest?? I do realize some people just can not split up, don't understand it :) But the good thing is, in Alaska most every tour will offer you something. :)

Archived