Second Rm Key

I'm sure you'll get a reply on this soon enough with someone telling you exactly how they did it. People here are very helpful.

I was recently sailing with four other women, two in each cabin. Because two got the NY residency rate and two didn't (they were from FL), they had to split the booking up and put a NYer with a Floridian in each cabin. That, of course completely screwed them up because they couldn't just switch keys with each other, obviously, since they were tied to their credit cards. So all week the four of them were going nuts with basically two of them not having a key to their own room, and always making sure the other person was in the room so they could get in. What a wreck.

Had I known they booked this way (none of them reads these boards) I would've asked about getting new keys here and gotten the answer. Grrr.

PS when we booked, no one at the pier asked for proof that we even lived in NY, which the website said we'd need. So it didn't even matter in the first place! :)

Ah jeeze! I can certainly see how that would make for a coordinating nightmare! Initially they (RCCL agent) had booked one adult/one minor per room. When I was checking the reservation to make certain sleeping arrangements were in order (ie: beds together or apart) I called them to request putting the kids in one room (we were told it was ok as long as it was next to or across the hall -- we have balcony they have an inside across the hall) They were very hesitant to do this (our minors are teens). I inquired about room access then, and she said to switch keys! I was taken aback by that comment. I told her I would not appreciate having a minor key for one thing nor, the only form of on person ID on my kids to be incorrect! FINALLY they changed the names per room and I didn't even want to begin to inquire about obtaining a key to their room. I figured I'd ask the experts here! LOL. Thank goodness for cruisecritic.com!

Ok--when you check in, just tell the clerk who will be in which room. At that time, ask for a duplicate key to the kids room--it's not a big deal. They don't care who sleeps where--that thing about an adult per room is ONLY for booking purposes--they want to make sure kids aren't being booked onto the ship alone.

It's not the big deal it's made out to be!

Yes, we had one last week....not to check that they came in on time (they came in later than me), but to make sure they got up for our excursions (as they would let the phone go to voice mail)! Came in very handy leaving post-it notes on their mirror as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Our thoughts exactly! Spring Break ... they love to sleep in! I don't think a phone or knocking on the door would wake them up! Plus, we will be cruising on Easter and I want to sneak Baskets in their room! :)

We did this on our cruise on the Vision. Just go to guest relations and ask, they will be happy to give you and extra card. If your kids are like my kids, you will need it to get them up in time for excursions on port days, or to go back and grab everything they forgot. LOL.

Depending on what port you board at they may or may not be able to give you an extra card at check in, so you will have to go to guest relations on the ship.

Archived