Legend- New York HELP!

wack001

Heard so many stories about taking a crusie out of New York, need a little help.

1. Which is the best airport to fly into( Newark, LGA or JKF)?

2. How much does a cab/limo/shuttle cost and how long is the trip, or what is the best and cheapest trans. to the port?

3. Where is the port itself?

4. Any decent/reasonable places to stay (limited budget)?

Problem, thoughts and hints would be appreciated.

Ok Did the Legend 2x from NYC. Live here myself so lets see. Fly into LGA. Most airlines have a slighty cheaper price for coming into LGA. If you hate traffic and think you might miss or be late to the ship do not and I mean DO NOT come in to JFK. I can tell you that its been 18 years and I have NEVER seen the North bound Van Wyck Expressway moving well. ALWAYS JAM PACKED. The Airtrain was suppose to help but you only see like 4 people in each train car. The Van Wyck it the usaual route a taxi/limo take. Takes them straight to the LIE and the Queens Midtown Tunnel and straight across town to right in front of the Port. Sometimes they take the Belt Parkway but let me tell it has no difference from the Van Wyck. I remember on our last cruise we were doing the Self walk thing were you carry the luaguge of yourself and people we saying its just like the Belt cause we stood for 45 min not moving standing there with all our stuff. Traffic sucks in NY. Ok, New York City cabs have a fixed fare from LGA to anywhere in Manhanttan for like $25 or $30 JFK is like $35 or $40. A limo is like $110 plus taxes 20% tip and tolls which are like $4 or $5 bucks. No sure,[i take the bus and subway alot]. With no traffic its like a 35 to 45 min ride with traffic just double that plus like 20 more min. The port itself is on the West Side of the City. To be exact 12th Ave West 55th Street. If you fly into LGA or JFK you will come into the city from the East and you have to cross town. Cant help with hotels. Legend is a great ship, loved her and would sail her every year if she did some new destinations. NYC Port sucks, Should I mention it, more traffic[on foot] lines, lines, lines. No order or a/c. Mayor Bloomberg sucks. CHEAP. Carnival and NCL has to pay for repairs.Security is hectic if your driver does not come in the right direction. Have more to say but to much. If you have any more question just shout.

Holy moley! You just scared the crap outta me! lol :p

We're coming up to NYC in June for the Legend and now I'm afraid!!! :eek: We're driving too, so, I'm much looking forward to that traffic. Thanks for the heads up.

I would be too if I read that. And I'm from NY!

If Newark is comparatable in price, use that. You might find cheaper accomodations on the Jersey side as well. Then it's up the turnpike and thru the Lincoln tunnel or straight across thru the Holland Tunnel

Yes traffic exists in NY, and sometimes it can be bad, and other times not so bad. Coming from Jersey, you avoid all that airport and cross town traffic.

Plan to arrive at the pier by 11:15.

As a former New Yorker sailing on June 17th CTN I didn't think the traffic was THAT bad! Hey, you're in a big city with LOTS of people, all in a hurry. We came on AMTRAK and took a cab crosstown. He let us off on 12th Avenue across from the pier, but we had limited luggage. Embarcation is no worse in NYC than either of the two other ports we've used. Don't sweat it. Try for Newark and a hotel near the airport there. You'll do fine. :D

You'll have to do some research for airfare - but the easiest and a probably cheaper way to go is - fly into Newark, carfare into NY can't be all that bad. You are only going a few turnpike exits north to get off at the West Side Highway exit (where the cruise ship pier is located). There is a hotel the Skyline, located at 49th st & 10th ave that is very reasonable for midtown. The hotel is about 3 blocks from the cruise terminal. You are also located about five blocks from Times Square - plays, dining, the Intrepid museum all within walking(or an inexpensive cab ride) distance. We stay at this hotel several times during the year, and love it's location.

My husband and I have sailed out of NYC for the past few years. I love NYC!

We have flew into Newark and have taken a cab that cost us about 60.00 but it has been some years. We drive from Cleveland because we have found that we get home quicker. We park at Port Imperial and barely deal with traffic.

We will be going on the Triumph in September and Carnival suggested either LGA or Newark. They don't even offer transfers from JFK. With the research that we have done it looks like it will be cheaper and more convenient to fly into Newark and use Carnival's transfer service.

Well, I lived in Manhattan until 1 year ago and now I live across the Hudson in Jersey City. I fly all the time and I've used all airports in the area, including White Plains and Islip.

I think that you may want to try Newark (EWR) before trying LaGuardia (LGA). LGA is congested and, frankly, you won't find a lot of less expensive accomodations there. You can find inexpensive accomodations around EWR and, if you take a short cab ride, perhaps even in Jersey City or Hoboken. I would check out hotels.com or the other major travel websites for prices in those areas. Other areas in the vicinity: Secaucus, the Oranges (Meadowlands area), Bayonne, Weehawken, Ft. Lee.

From these areas to the pier, there are a couple of ways to do it:

1. A taxi or car service. Most will have a set fee for going into Manhattan (I used car service from Jersey City to Manhattan and that ran about $55 plus tips and tolls);

2. Trains. Yes, the trains are an option and a less expensive one at that. If you are going to be in Jersey City or Hoboken, you may catch a cab to the nearest PATH station for a train that takes you into Manhattan (at 33rd Street around Macy's or at the World Trade Center) for $1.50 per person. From there, you can catch a cab to the pier. In other areas, there are NJ Transit trains. Obviously, it depends on how much luggage you are carrying, if you have children, etc., but this is a good inexpensive way to do it.

3. Ferry. If you are going to be reasonably close to the ferry at various points on the Hudson, you may want to take it. The ferry that takes you to the 39th St. pier is reasonably close to the pier where cruise ships berth.

I leave for my cruise on April 27 and my husband and I (we don't have kids; we're in our 30s) will be taking either the PATH train to Manhattan and then hailing a cab or taking the ferry to the 39th St. Pier and walking from there. We won't have too much luggage to carry around and our luggage has wheels.

Did not mean to freak anyone out. I live In Queens and see this every day. I now its hectic [i go on cruises to] and its your vacation and you dont want to much work. But ya might as well try EWR. LGA is small if everyone else says go for it and Carnival does not even offer tranfer from JFK[must be for some reason] then go for it EWR.

Folks thanks for EVERTHING, but please what is the cheapest way from Newark to the port?

Taxi cost, is it per person + time

Limo?

van? our should I try an adventure.

Total time in this?

I WILL NEVER take the Cruise shuttle, hate the cattle car way.

New York is not scary!!! Like any city there are places you don't want to be. Our family goes a couple of times a year and we stay in the midtown area where you can walk to museums, plays etc.. It's a wonderful and exciting place to go. We'll be visiting again in a couple of weeks to catch the tree at Rockefeller Center and the Christmas show at Radio City. Be not afraid!!!

I agree it's nothing to be afriad of just be aware of your surrounding just like on any of the islands. We go once a month or so, just girls we take the train down and walk or use the subway all day then a train back. We have never had a problem. Times Square is great, catch a Broadway show while you're there. I'm going next Sat. to do the Christmas stuff!

I suggest SuperShuttle, it's 24 hour and on demand at the Newark Airport Terminals, $17 PP each way. Cost is a little more than public transit (only a few dollars though) but alot less painful! Could be up to an hour wait at busy times, but franky so can public transit (AirTrain) on a Sunday with all the tranfers.

Newark is the least painful of the NYC Airports, hotels can usually be had for a small amount near the airport through Priceline and Hotwire (I've been lucky, never more that $55 and usually get the Hilton) See biddingfortravel.com for Priceline info specific to Newark Airport (Newark Airport winning bids are listed under New York City Airports, not NJ) Also there is a Country Inn with an airport shuttle close to a huge outlet (Jersey Gardens) that is worth a look.

Finally, food! Hotels have expensive food, so go to the airport. Skip Terminal C, most food outlets are past security and those on the "landside" are poor quality and extremely expensive. Terminals A and B have sizable foodcourts that you do not have to pass through security to get to and are reasonably priced. the foodcourts and restuarants are primarily located on the intermediate Level behind the ticket counters. Of Particular note, Formaggio Cafe in Terminal B is great for breakfast, about $10 for a diner quality meal with a view of the apron. This turns into a cheese/wine bar at night. If you're close to the outlet mall (there are 3 hotels right in the parking lot, the Country Inn, one of the Residence Inns [careful there is more than one at Newark Airport], I forget the 3rd) eat there. There is a theater located in the back if you're looking for something to do.

New York isn't really scary (except to drive, then it definitely is not for the tame) Crime rate is significantly lower than say Miami or many other US cities. It is, however, a difficult place to travel and definitely not for everyone. If you decide you want to see a bit of city you really should stay on manhatten itself. I recommend applecorehotels.com for reasonably priced (for NYC anyways) and well kept budget hotels right in the city.

Archived