Question about tendering at Port Amador?

SkiRacer

I will have a cast on my lower leg for our full transit cruise on the Sea Princess May 9th. Do you think I will be able to use the tender and if so will I be able to take the Night Tour? Also is the Night tour of Panama worth going on? Thanks for any info.

Joan

Dawn Princess Alaska 2000

Dawn Princess Mexico2006

NCL Star Mexico 2005,2006, 2008

RC Mexico 1995, 1998, 2004

Carnival Mexico 2003

We were on the April 23 Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise with a stop in Port Amador.

The ship sent out several notices to those booked on the tours mentioning that it was a tender port and that the walk up the ramp at the port could be steep. However, there was a lady on the tour that had some type of support braces on her ankles that went down into her shoes. She also used a cane and walked with a limp. She had no problem with the tendering or the ramp. However, the seas were calm and the the tide was in which made the ramp a gentle slope. If the tide were out the ramp would be steeper and if the seas were rough there would be a lot of movement of the tender when getting on it at the ship. I think the answer will come down to how maneuverable and steady you will be in moving around with the cast. You will also be getting on and off the minivan (rental car shuttle size) seveal times during the cruise.

I would say "NO" due to the fact that the tour is basically broken into 3 parts.

The first is Colonial Panama which is an all walking tour and covers a pretty good area.

The second part is just a riding tour through part of modern Panama City and some of the ruins of the city destroyed by Henry Black.

The third part is going to a museum that gives some history of Panama.

We did have one pereson who stayed on the van at the museum.

• 2 weeks later...
I will have a cast on my lower leg for our full transit cruise on the Sea Princess May 9th. Do you think I will be able to use the tender and if so will I be able to take the Night Tour? Also is the Night tour of Panama worth going on? Thanks for any info.

Joan

Dawn Princess Alaska 2000

Dawn Princess Mexico2006

NCL Star Mexico 2005,2006, 2008

RC Mexico 1995, 1998, 2004

Carnival Mexico 2003

Joan at least we will be able to recognize you. Are you getting on at Barbados or Fort Lauderdale? We get on in Barbados.

Kimberley

I would say "NO" due to the fact that the tour is basically broken into 3 parts.

The first is Colonial Panama which is an all walking tour and covers a pretty good area.

The second part is just a riding tour through part of modern Panama City and some of the ruins of the city destroyed by Henry Black.

The third part is going to a museum that gives some history of Panama.

We did have one pereson who stayed on the van at the museum.

If you are able bodied would you recommend this tour?

Thanks

Kimberley

Yes - my wife and I enjoyed it very much.

You get to see various parts of the city - ancient, old, and new.

Thanks would you be able to buy tours when you get off or where they only offered by the ship?

Kimberley

Kimberley, We look forward to meeting you, we get on at For Lauderdale.

Travelingman thanks again. My Husband will be going on the tour and I will see the pictures. Joan

Joan. I think we are on the same excursion as you in Cartagena. Kimberley

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the great information regarding the Panama excursion. We are on the Coral Princess Feb 2010 and she is in Amador from 8am to 6 pm. Princes came out with the new excursion for Sept 2009-May 2010. The Highlight of Old Panama at Night and The Panama City Tour are being offered again this year. Both are 4 hours. Where you on the night tour? If so, how much of the tour was during the “night”? Since the ship is in port till only 6 pm, wondering how this could be a night tour. Could you do an excursion earlier in the day, like the ferry and then the evening excursion?

Archived