Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure Cozumel

Cheeky

In Cozumel, are the dolphins in some kind of enclosure or are they free?

In Bahamas, I decided not to swim with the dolphins, but opted for the Blue Lagoon Snorkel instead. I was quite happy that I made this decision when we got to the Lagoon. It was a "pool sized" enclosure, with a few dolphins and a boat load of people coming to see them.

It would have broken my heart. Someday I'll swim with the dolphins, but if they're in this type of enclosure, I can't see bringing myself to do it.

Any comments about your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

I wouldn't do this type of excursion for the same reason. They are in a pool in Cozumel, too. That's the same reason I do not go to circuses. I just do not believe that wild animals are put on earth to amuse humans for another humans profit.

The dolphins at Chankanaab (Cozumel) are in a large pen, about the size of two or three Olympic swimming pools with some smaller holding pens. It's also deep so if you swim, you are required to wear a life jacket. Dolphins are amazing animals and swimming with them was almost spiritual.

I don't know about Cozumel.....but I did the Dolphin Excursion in Freeport, and it sounds a little different. There were several "pool type" areas for the tourists to sit around, but they all connected together so the dolphins could swim in and out of all of them. There was nothing keeping the dolphins in the pools at all really, and the trainer even said that they could swim out to sea if they wanted to. He said sometimes they did on their own, and always came back because that was their "home". He said that the trainers would go out on a boat with them too and they would play in the ocean, but they always came back. I don't know if that makes you feel better, but it seems much less constrictive. Hopefully you can see the picture below, it kinda shows the layout of the place. The dolphins swam under the "borders" the tourists sat on.

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=15793715/PictureID=349930333/t_=14100329

Thanks everyone for your replies. Laura, I think I could have gone for something like you experienced. And I do agree with Hstrybuf ~ it's always seemed to me that it would be close to a spiritual experience.

I remember the story about the Cuban boy trying to get to Florida on some homemade boat with family, including his mom. If I remember correctly, only he made it. When they were asking him what happened at sea, he drew pictures of dolphins surrounding him and he knew they were protecting him.

I've also heard stories about dolphins surrounding pregnant women, because they have some kind of sonar system that allows them to see that she's carrying a baby. One couple I spoke to in Queensland said that they witnessed dolphins circling around a pregnant woman in a similar "swim with the dolphins" tour. They wouldn't let other people (including her husband) get near her, because they wanted to protect her. It freaked her out a bit, but I think they're probably my most favourite animals exactly for this reason. (Don't tell my cats that).

Because of my ultimate respect for these wonderful creatures, I would be so hurt to know that I'm exploiting them. I don't even think I'd swim up to them for the "kodak moment". I'd just want them to come to me if they wanted to. Keep in mind, one of my biggest fears is swimming with fish! (I know they're not fish, but close enough). For some reason, I still make it a point to snorkel every chance I get ~ including on the Great Barrier Reef this past September.

Unfortunately, Laura, your link didn't work for me. I signed in and everything. But for some reason, it says "This Page Does Not Exist". I would have loved to see the pics.

Does anyone have pictures of the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel? I'd really love to see what I'm getting myself into.

If all else fails, there's a place in Australia that I have yet to visit, called Monkey Mia. You swim at the beach and the dolphins come to you. So one way or another, it's all good!

Again, thanks everyone for their input! :p

(I'm not sticking my tongue out at you; I just love the face!)

Archived