First time cruiser with kids

amylynns79

I am traveling by myself with 2 children: 4 and 8. We are stopping in Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This was an impulsive, last minute ordeal. Any advice?

1. What do you do with your id, wallet, and the like when cave-tubing or snorkling?

2. Can you just get off a ship and go to a beach to swim and snorkel or do you have to take a tour or pay beach fees? (Already scheduled cave tubing, and stingray/reef tour at 2 of the destinations.)

3. Any excursions better or worse for children?

4. Any recommendations on souvenier shops or must haves?

Really any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Amy

Carnival Valor April 2009

When going on excursions or to the beach, don't bring alot of value--bring your ID/room key and a small amount of cash.

If you need a credit card, bring a different one that is tied to your account on the ship!

Both your room key and credit card are "waterproof"--they're plastic! so you can take them into the water with you, if you want. Cash will still be "spendable" if wet!

We just stick any cash into the pages of an old paperback book...no one has ever bothered our stuff.

If you're on an excursion, you can leave your things in the bus/van.

If you go to a beach on your own, public beaches are free--they have chair and umbrella rentals.....but there's no charge for the beach access, in most cases.

Get yourself a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know where you want to go, how to get there, how much it will cost.....RESEARCH!!!!!

My first time cruising with a child will be next month, so the only thing I can advise you on right now is the money/ID situation.

There are waterproof "wallets" or "safes" that you can wear around your neck. I don't remember the exact term, but I got mine really cheap on ebay years ago when hubby and I were cruising to Cozumel and Costa Maya. It's a translucent plastic bag on a long cord. The top folds over a couple of times to keep the water out, then secures shut with velcro. It worked great during our snorkelling and swimming trips!

I am assuming you are cave tubing in Belize. They should have lockers there or somewhere to put your dry clothes.

Were you considering taking the 4 year old on the cave tubing? I would probably reconsider that one if I you were. Just my opinion. ;) I guess it would depend how adventurous he/she is.

You don't necessarily have to plan paid excursions in every port but plan SOMETHING. Go to each port of call's board and see what interests you.

Grand Caymen has 7 mile beach - could get there by taxi. But it also has swimming with the stingrays.

So for each port - research what everyone else is doing on the port of call boards here at Cruise Critic.

Thank you to those of you that have responded. Since booking this last week I have been staying up every night until 3 in the morning comparing excursions, reading boards, e-mailing back and forth with tour operators...

As far as cave-tubing:

I really am not that crazy:rolleyes:

I guess I feel comfortable tubing with my children because I am a certified lifeguard with experience in pretty rough waters, never got to do the pool gig:( Both my children can swim and have been in tubes before behind slow boats. And I have exchanged several informative e-mails with Yhony of cave-tubing. If the excursion is anything like the professionalism that comes through during his correspondence, I know we can't go wrong! But I can see where people would be concerned and even with experience, they are my kiddos, and I worry none-the-less!

Yet, this is my first time on a cruise and I am very excited and anxious... thank you to all that write on these boards. I am learning so much!!!! I do so appreciate it. Thank you.

Thank you to those of you that have responded. Since booking this last week I have been staying up every night until 3 in the morning comparing excursions, reading boards, e-mailing back and forth with tour operators...

As far as cave-tubing:

I really am not that crazy:rolleyes:

I guess I feel comfortable tubing with my children because I am a certified lifeguard with experience in pretty rough waters, never got to do the pool gig:( Both my children can swim and have been in tubes before behind slow boats. And I have exchanged several informative e-mails with Yhony of cave-tubing. If the excursion is anything like the professionalism that comes through during his correspondence, I know we can't go wrong! But I can see where people would be concerned and even with experience, they are my kiddos, and I worry none-the-less!

Yet, this is my first time on a cruise and I am very excited and anxious... thank you to all that write on these boards. I am learning so much!!!! I do so appreciate it. Thank you.

I went ATV touring with Yhony in Feb. And I can confirm that he is AWESOME and VERY professional. He is the one who told me the age minimum was 5 when I asked him ;)

There was a little girl that was heading to the cave when we were cleaning the mud off of us from the ATVs. So he obviously takes them. And it sounds like you are prepared. Just wanted you to be aware that someone DID die in those caves about 6 months ago. It was an adult, not a child. But it was on the Carnival tour, not Yhony's. From what I understand, the other guides said the water was too rough but the Carnival excursion went on. The woman was pulled under the wall of the one cave and pinned. :( Her husband was powerless to help her. :(

I was less concerned with my 4 year old going in against the rushing water. I was more concerned with her reaction to the dark. So like I said, as long as yours in very adventurous...you'll be fine.

I just came back from a week on the DCL Magic alone with my 2 daughters. We had so much fun and cannot wait to try another cruise line soon.

I did a blog of the trip if you are intested. http://magictrip0314.blogspot.com/

My advice , travel light, and be prepared for the kids to be tired. There is so much to do, I knew this and always scheduled excursions for later in the morning, they would have slept till 10:00 each morning if I had not ordered room service for 9:00-9:30.

We did the Western last March and for Grand Cayman we just took a taxi to the Royal Palms on Seven Mile Beach and had a great day. The beach is beautiful for kids, the washrooms are clean and the restaurant at the Royal Palms is right on the beach.

Have a great time, your kids will love it.

I am traveling by myself with 2 children: 4 and 8. We are stopping in Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This was an impulsive, last minute ordeal. Any advice?

1. What do you do with your id, wallet, and the like when cave-tubing or snorkling?

2. Can you just get off a ship and go to a beach to swim and snorkel or do you have to take a tour or pay beach fees? (Already scheduled cave tubing, and stingray/reef tour at 2 of the destinations.)

3. Any excursions better or worse for children?

4. Any recommendations on souvenier shops or must haves?

Really any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Amy

Carnival Valor April 2009

This is probably the minority opinion but my little one ( about to be 5) is going on her fourth cruise in 22 days and she has been on only 1 excursion when she was 3 in 2007 - which she didnt really enjoy. She had soooooooooooo much fun in the camp carnival and ncl kids club that she woke up just wanting to get to her new friends. The 4 year old I am not sure I would take unless it is a day at the beach where there are ample restroom facilities etc. but if you don't believe she will warm up to the other children her age in the club while you are on port then I guess you can plan ahead taking in account the several restroom breaks our precious foursies love to make. Have a great time and do check out the kids program they are all exceptionally ran.

Archived